Wireshark Filter!

sleky

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2009
Hello all...

Just trying to figure out how to filter MAC Addresses...

From what I gathered on their FAQ and other google searches, I've come up with:

eth eth.src == ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff to be the filter, but its not liking that so much. =[

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

Solution

Haven't had a chance to test it... but below was an example I found on google... looks about right to me. It seems you maybe using too many 'eth''s in there... example to filter on IP address I KNOW is ip.addr==<blah>...

eth.addr==08.00.08.1f.0e.1e

also

eth.src==<blah>

Good luck,

Brian

k3y3n1n

Distinguished
May 20, 2010
if you go to capture you should be able to select mac address or type it in and press filter.. I haven't tried to filter while the capturing taking place but after i got my cap file i filter it that way

sleky

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2009
do you know what the filter is? typing in 'mac' only gives me 'mac-lte' and 'macc' neither of which is a physical address filtering. =[ i know its possible, dang it! LoL! thanks for the reply!

Brian_tii

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010

Haven't had a chance to test it... but below was an example I found on google... looks about right to me. It seems you maybe using too many 'eth''s in there... example to filter on IP address I KNOW is ip.addr==<blah>...

eth.addr==08.00.08.1f.0e.1e

also

eth.src==<blah>

Good luck,

Brian

Solution

chand_05

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012
I don't think there is a direct filter to capture multicast data. (eth.dst[0]&1) will filter both multicast and broadcast. So, from this exclude broadcast. It will be like (eth.dst[0]&1) && !eth.dst==ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff