[SOLVED] Wiring colour codes

sargan

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2012
I have a number of ARCTIC F12 fans .... these have standard 3 pin connector for plugging onto a mobo.

Anyone able to confirm the wiring of these fans as I will not be using with a PC, but a separate PWM controller.

Plug has RED, BLACK & Yellow
I need to confirm which is +V, Gnd and Tacho
Assume it will be the order I listed above - but thought worth checking.

The PWM controller does not have 3 pin plug, it has screw connectors.

Solution
Unfortunately, the photo in that link has the positions of the wires wrong, but it IS correct about the colour codes.

Pin #1 - Black - Ground
Pin #2 - Red - +VDC (varies 12 to 5, typically)
Pin #3 - Yellow - pulsed Speed signal from motor back to header

Note that RED is in the MIDDLE, not on either edge.

You can NOT control the speed of a 3-pin fan with a PWM controller, though. The ONLY way to control the speed of a 3-pin fan is by varying the voltage supplied from Pin #2 (red) from 12 VDC (full speed) down to about 5 VDC (min before it stalls and will not re-start unless voltage it raised). A 4-pin fan, and the PWM controller system used with it, gets a fixed 12 VDC from Pin #2 at all times, and uses its own chip with the PWM...

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Unfortunately, the photo in that link has the positions of the wires wrong, but it IS correct about the colour codes.

Pin #1 - Black - Ground
Pin #2 - Red - +VDC (varies 12 to 5, typically)
Pin #3 - Yellow - pulsed Speed signal from motor back to header

Note that RED is in the MIDDLE, not on either edge.

You can NOT control the speed of a 3-pin fan with a PWM controller, though. The ONLY way to control the speed of a 3-pin fan is by varying the voltage supplied from Pin #2 (red) from 12 VDC (full speed) down to about 5 VDC (min before it stalls and will not re-start unless voltage it raised). A 4-pin fan, and the PWM controller system used with it, gets a fixed 12 VDC from Pin #2 at all times, and uses its own chip with the PWM signal from Pin #4 to modify current flow through the motor windings. If you plug a 3-pin fan into that kind of controller's output, it gets constant 12 VDC from Pin #2 and gets NO PWM signal from pin #4, which it could not use anyway.

Solution