Wise to use HDD as offline storage?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

GE

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2004

On 8/17/05 11:22:03, J. Clarke wrote:

> As far as it goes your English is fine, probably better than mine. But I
> think that the difficulty may be that it's formal technical English and not
> conversational.

That may well be. But then, we're trying to solve here a formal technical
problem, no?

>> I'm not raising an argument about "trickle" vs. "standby". I'm just trying
>> to explain to people willing to learn what the better (because more
>> universal, at least among the people who understand about power supplies)
>> terminology is -- and why. See my other post here for more details (if
>> you're interested, of course).
>
> Let's start out with this. ...

I'd like to start with continuing this part of the conversation (/why/ I
started talking about "trickle") from the message I sent previously where I
more explicitly -- and hopefully in proper "conversational language" terms
-- explained why I did it. I repeatedly tried to explain to you why I did
it, yet you never ever reacted to these explanations. Either you ignore
them on purpose (whatever purpose that may be) or you just missed them --
for that case I wrote up a summary of them in a separate message.

>>> The point is that there is power in the case and on the motherboard with
>>> the ATX power in the "off" state.
>>
>> Correct, in that there is power in the case. Wrong, in that this exactly
>> was the point.
>
> Now, this makes no sense. What is wrong?

Wrong is that this was the point, as I wrote before. This was /not/ the
point -- the point was whether or not it is safe to disconnect a harddisk
from an ATX mobo's IDE interface while the ATX power supply is in standby
mode. Whether or not there is power somewhere "in the case or on the mobo"
may or not be relevant -- which is exactly what this discussion is about.
It never was contested that it /is/ -- it in fact is, we always agreed on
this. It was contested that this is /relevant/ -- and this is the point.
Sorry that you didn't get that earlier... but I don't think that the fact
of me being a non-native speaker had much to do with that.

> Now, here we hit an issue that seems more related to experience than to
> language. How long had you been working with PCs when the first ATX
> machines became available?

I've been working with "PCs" before they were called that way.

> Until I had taken apart an ATX machine and discovered in the process that
> the power switch was connected to the motherboard rather than to the
> power supply, there was no reason to suspect that that had changed with
> ATX.

Not sure why that was, but maybe because you didn't read the specs. Or
because you fingertips are not sensitive enough to feel the difference
between the old-style power switch (usually a switch that toggles
mechanically between on and off) and the ATX-style power switch (usually
only a push button, which doesn't toggle).

> This has nothing to do with "understanding the workings of power supplies"
> and everything to do with the system specs being changed with out anybody
> getting the word out.

Not sure they actually didn't publish the supply specs when coming out with
them. I would think that they were available. I know that I found them when
I needed them -- but I also know that this was quite some time after they
came out. In any case, /now/ we have them.

> It took several years after ATX became available for the A+ exam for
> certifying technicians to be altered to address this issue

I'll just assume you are correct on this, but IMO it's quite irrelevant to
this discussion. Any type of certification tends to lag behind technology
development; this doesn't surprise me.

> Now here you're arguing like an engineer, not like a technician.

Not really sure what you mean by that. I am an engineer, I have been a
technician, and I think a good engineer can think not only like you may say
an engineer thinks, but also like you may say a technician thinks, and also
in some other ways. The art is in putting it all together -- which is why I
don't tend to think in such categories.

> There are several reasons for this. One is that you're usually inside
> the machine because it's broken

Now this is a different beast. You're making a lot of assumptions that we
didn't make in the first place. I for my part am usually (dis)connecting
disks because I'm exchanging disks, not because anything is broken.

> Another is that one does not want to develop bad habits.

I tend to try to do things out of reason, not out of habit. Any habit in
technology is a bad habit (and you may again say that I'm thinking like an
engineer -- but there's really no bad in that, is it? :)

> Far safer to only _connect_ when you need to than only _dis_connect when
> you need to.

Probably. But this is from the quite specific point of view of a repair
technician who does nothing but fixing PCs all day long. That's not my
position, and I don't know why I should do like I possibly would do if I
were one.

> A third is that even if everything is working as it is supposed to,
> jostling the wrong board or cable can bring the power up when it was not
> intended--one should not risk that without compelling reason.

This is the only /real/ point -- and I was well aware of it. And that's why
I wrote that you should know what you're doing if you don't disconnect the
power cable. It's as simple as that.

> Engineers tend to assume that their superior technical knowledge will
> preserve them from such difficulties.

I hope you don't mean "all engineers" when you say "engineers". I don't
think you're qualified to make such an assertion. In any case, it's not
relevant to the question we're discussing.

>> "As long as you're not knowing what you're doing, it's a good idea to
>> always disconnect the power cord of anything you open."
>
> Now this goes with your comment about "understanding how power supplies
> work" and I was about to flame you over it until it occurred to me that you
> might not understand why I was doing it.

I don't think I have a problem with your reasons. From your POV they
probably make sense. But you seem to fail to see that the reasons that make
sense in your specific situation may not make the same sense for everyone
else.

> "As long as you're not knowing what you're doing" suggests a value judgment
> that I suspect was not intended.

See, here you don't seem to understand how /this/ engineer thinks. I have a
deep respect for "things" and their "life". I don't pretend to know how
they behave -- but I have in some cases a pretty deep knowledge and broad
enough experience to make relatively safe judgment calls. Actually, that's
what I get paid for to do. I can't play it safe all the time; engineering
is mostly about doing what you don't know, but having a reasonable insight
about your odds. When I feel I don't know enough to not destroy anything
(including myself), I unplug the cable -- not only with PCs. Both sides of
the condition are very familiar to me and it's part of my daily life to
determine on which side I am in a particular situation.

> It gives the impression that you feel ...

It gives /you/ that impression, possibly because you managed yourself into
a defensive position (without need).

> the mark of a l33t type such as yourself

Now here you hit this not-native speaker... I don't have a clue what a
"133t type" is. Nor why you would think that I think that I am one.

> If your experience is relevant, then the way to address it is to simply
> state your experience and why you think it relevant if that is not
> obvious from context.

That's what I did. You managed to read it how you want to see it, not how I
wrote it. That's not a language issue, let me tell you.

Gerhard

GE

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2004

On 8/17/05 12:04:42, J. Clarke wrote:

> You neglect the possibility that the signal cable is connected but the power
> cable is not.

Of course. To reiterate: the question was whether it is safe to disconnect
a harddisk from the IDE interface of an ATX mobo while the ATX power supply
is in standby mode. You said no, I said yes.

Whether or not the power cable is connected to the disk while doing so is
completely irrelevant (because it doesn't supply any power anyway while the
power supply is in standby).

> In dealing with practical matters of technology, one is concerned with what
> is, not with what manufacturers "support or guarantee".

Staying inside of what manufacturers guarantee is usually safer than going
outside of it. The odds that things go well are /much/ higher when devices
are used inside their specs than if you use them in situations they are not
designed for -- let alone situations that the manufacturer tells you will
damage the device. You need to be /very/ familiar with a device's inner
workings if you want to use it /safely/ outside of its specs. I don't know
why you object here -- this should be obvious.

> [...]
>> So, to summarize, for a "wake-up on IDE" feature to work, these are the
>> necessary conditions:
> [...]
>> I don't know an ATX mobo/power supply combo that would satisfy these
>> conditions. I doubt you know one, either. If you do, it should be easy to
>> post a link or two to the manufacturer's site where these outstanding and
>> quite rare features are described.
>
> Only if it was "outstanding or quite rare". Wake on interrupt is a common
> feature.

You haven't been able to bring forth a single example for a system that
implements "wake-up (from ATX standby mode) on IDE activity" and confirm
that you actually saw it waking up from IDE activity. A few nit-picking
comments is all that is there.

>> To make a somewhat longer story short, the "IDE controller" of a mobo is
>> usually an IC (or part of an IC) that performs the functions of the IDE
>> interface controller -- in an IDE host adapter. Maybe something like this
>> http://www.smsc.com/main/catalog/slc90e66.html (note the term "IDE
>> Controller" right in the title of the page).
>
> Sloppy terminology. All it does it pass commands from the PCI bus to the
> IDE bus. All the controlling is done on the disk.

You are of course right in that all the controlling /of the disk/ is done
by the controller on the disk. But the controlling (however minimal that
may be) of the IDE /interface/ is done by the IDE controller of the IDE
host adapter. That's the common terminology for this part of the host
adapter (whether it being not much more than an ISA-to-PCI bridge or not,
but I'm sure you're enough engineer to know that even that is not exactly
trivial) -- just check out this
http://www.google.com/search?q=%22ide+controller%22 ; the term is /very/
common. It may not be to your liking, but it's commonly used.

> You're the one who started demanding precise use of language.

No, not "demanding". I never demanded anything. You started criticizing my
precise use, for whatever reason, so I explained the reasons for doing so.

>> Of course you can connect a harddisk to the IDE interface and /not/
>> connect it to the power supply. [...]
>
> So when that is done, how does the motherboard know that is has been
> done so as to not send signals?

It doesn't, that's why this is an "out of spec" situation. You shouldn't do
that (connecting a hard disk to the IDE interface without connecting it to
the power supply). You already confirmed that you had problems when doing
so, so why not simply agree with me here -- no matter how hard it may be?

Gerhard

Ge wrote:

> On 8/17/05 11:22:03, J. Clarke wrote:
>
>> As far as it goes your English is fine, probably better than mine. But I
>> think that the difficulty may be that it's formal technical English and
>> not conversational.
>
> That may well be. But then, we're trying to solve here a formal technical
> problem, no?
>
>>> I'm not raising an argument about "trickle" vs. "standby". I'm just
>>> trying to explain to people willing to learn what the better (because
>>> more universal, at least among the people who understand about power
>>> supplies) terminology is -- and why. See my other post here for more
>>> details (if you're interested, of course).
>>
>> Let's start out with this. ...
>
> I'd like to start with continuing this part of the conversation (/why/ I
> started talking about "trickle") from the message I sent previously where
> I more explicitly -- and hopefully in proper "conversational language"
> terms -- explained why I did it. I repeatedly tried to explain to you why
> I did it, yet you never ever reacted to these explanations. Either you
> ignore them on purpose (whatever purpose that may be) or you just missed
> them -- for that case I wrote up a summary of them in a separate message.

>>> Correct, in that there is power in the case. Wrong, in that this exactly
>>> was the point.
>>
>> Now, this makes no sense. What is wrong?
>
> Wrong is that this was the point, as I wrote before. This was /not/ the
> point -- the point was whether or not it is safe to disconnect a harddisk
> from an ATX mobo's IDE interface while the ATX power supply is in standby
> mode. Whether or not there is power somewhere "in the case or on the mobo"
> may or not be relevant -- which is exactly what this discussion is about.
> It never was contested that it /is/ -- it in fact is, we always agreed on
> this. It was contested that this is /relevant/ -- and this is the point.
> Sorry that you didn't get that earlier... but I don't think that the fact
> of me being a non-native speaker had much to do with that.
>

>> Now, here we hit an issue that seems more related to experience than to
>> language. How long had you been working with PCs when the first ATX
>> machines became available?
>
> I've been working with "PCs" before they were called that way.
>
>> Until I had taken apart an ATX machine and discovered in the process that
>> the power switch was connected to the motherboard rather than to the
>> power supply, there was no reason to suspect that that had changed with
>> ATX.
>
> Not sure why that was, but maybe because you didn't read the specs.

What specs?

> Or
> because you fingertips are not sensitive enough to feel the difference
> between the old-style power switch (usually a switch that toggles
> mechanically between on and off) and the ATX-style power switch (usually
> only a push button, which doesn't toggle).

Now let's see, you claim to have been fixing personal computers prior to the
time that they were called that and you've never encountered a machine that
uses the power button on the front to control a relay?

>> This has nothing to do with "understanding the workings of power
>> supplies" and everything to do with the system specs being changed with
>> out anybody getting the word out.
>
> Not sure they actually didn't publish the supply specs when coming out
> with them. I would think that they were available.

Until one knows that there is a difference one has no reason to look for
specs.

> I know that I found
> them when I needed them -- but I also know that this was quite some time
> after they came out. In any case, /now/ we have them.
>
>> It took several years after ATX became available for the A+ exam for
>> certifying technicians to be altered to address this issue
>
> I'll just assume you are correct on this, but IMO it's quite irrelevant to
> this discussion. Any type of certification tends to lag behind technology
> development; this doesn't surprise me.
>
>> Now here you're arguing like an engineer, not like a technician.
>
> Not really sure what you mean by that. I am an engineer, I have been a
> technician, and I think a good engineer can think not only like you may
> say an engineer thinks, but also like you may say a technician thinks, and
> also in some other ways. The art is in putting it all together -- which is
> why I don't tend to think in such categories.
>
>> There are several reasons for this. One is that you're usually inside
>> the machine because it's broken
>
> Now this is a different beast. You're making a lot of assumptions that we
> didn't make in the first place. I for my part am usually (dis)connecting
> disks because I'm exchanging disks, not because anything is broken.
>
>> Another is that one does not want to develop bad habits.
>
> I tend to try to do things out of reason, not out of habit. Any habit in
> technology is a bad habit (and you may again say that I'm thinking like an
> engineer -- but there's really no bad in that, is it? :)

If "thinking like an engineer" results in things getting broken and people
getting hurt then yes, there _is_ harm in it.

>> Far safer to only _connect_ when you need to than only _dis_connect when
>> you need to.
>
> Probably. But this is from the quite specific point of view of a repair
> technician who does nothing but fixing PCs all day long. That's not my
> position, and I don't know why I should do like I possibly would do if I
> were one.

So how are you disconnecting these disks if you do not have the case open
plugging and unplugging cables?

>> A third is that even if everything is working as it is supposed to,
>> jostling the wrong board or cable can bring the power up when it was not
>> intended--one should not risk that without compelling reason.
>
> This is the only /real/ point -- and I was well aware of it. And that's
> why I wrote that you should know what you're doing if you don't disconnect
> the power cable. It's as simple as that.

No matter how thoroughly you know what you're doing fingers slip. Maybe you
think that yours don't, but if you believe that then it is difficult to
reconcile that view with your claimed years of experience.

>> Engineers tend to assume that their superior technical knowledge will
>> preserve them from such difficulties.
>
> I hope you don't mean "all engineers" when you say "engineers". I don't
> think you're qualified to make such an assertion. In any case, it's not
> relevant to the question we're discussing.

It is relevant to your assertions.

>>> "As long as you're not knowing what you're doing, it's a good idea to
>>> always disconnect the power cord of anything you open."
>>
>> Now this goes with your comment about "understanding how power supplies
>> work" and I was about to flame you over it until it occurred to me that
>> you might not understand why I was doing it.
>
> I don't think I have a problem with your reasons. From your POV they
> probably make sense. But you seem to fail to see that the reasons that
> make sense in your specific situation may not make the same sense for
> everyone else.

So show me that your reasons make sense.

>> "As long as you're not knowing what you're doing" suggests a value
>> judgment that I suspect was not intended.
>
> See, here you don't seem to understand how /this/ engineer thinks. I have
> a deep respect for "things" and their "life". I don't pretend to know how
> they behave -- but I have in some cases a pretty deep knowledge and broad
> enough experience to make relatively safe judgment calls. Actually, that's
> what I get paid for to do. I can't play it safe all the time; engineering
> is mostly about doing what you don't know, but having a reasonable insight
> about your odds.

Not in any engineering firm that I am aware of. If you don't _know_ then
you find out.

> When I feel I don't know enough to not destroy anything
> (including myself), I unplug the cable -- not only with PCs. Both sides of
> the condition are very familiar to me and it's part of my daily life to
> determine on which side I am in a particular situation.
>
>> It gives the impression that you feel ...
>
> It gives /you/ that impression, possibly because you managed yourself into
> a defensive position (without need).
>
>> the mark of a l33t type such as yourself
>
> Now here you hit this not-native speaker... I don't have a clue what a
> "133t type" is. Nor why you would think that I think that I am one.
>
>> If your experience is relevant, then the way to address it is to simply
>> state your experience and why you think it relevant if that is not
>> obvious from context.
>
> That's what I did. You managed to read it how you want to see it, not how
> I wrote it. That's not a language issue, let me tell you.

Actuall it is. You go on talking about how much you know and how little
everyone else does and see how long anybody gives a damn about your
opinion.

I don't anymore.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

Previously Ge <gefiedler@globo.com> wrote:
> On 8/17/05 11:22:03, J. Clarke wrote:

Why don't you two stop arguing. +5VSB is up to 2A in many cases.
While that _is_ "a trickle" compared to what a PC usually needs, it is
quite enough to burn out allmost anything in a computer if applied
wrongly. So the question of whether this is a problem is certainly
a valid question, regardless or wording issues.

Side note: "trickle" is certainly not a defined EE term with fixed
meaning, so get over about your two interpretations being different.

Arno

Arno Wagner wrote:

> Previously Ge <gefiedler@globo.com> wrote:
>> On 8/17/05 11:22:03, J. Clarke wrote:
>
> Why don't you two stop arguing. +5VSB is up to 2A in many cases.
> While that _is_ "a trickle" compared to what a PC usually needs, it is
> quite enough to burn out allmost anything in a computer if applied
> wrongly. So the question of whether this is a problem is certainly
> a valid question, regardless or wording issues.
>
> Side note: "trickle" is certainly not a defined EE term with fixed
> meaning, so get over about your two interpretations being different.

That's my point--it's not a technical term, arguing that it was used
incorrectly is silly.

--

On 8/18/05 12:31:37, J. Clarke wrote:

>> Not sure why that was, but maybe because you didn't read the specs.
>
> What specs?

ATX specs maybe? Power supply specs maybe?

>>> A third is that even if everything is working as it is supposed to,
>>> jostling the wrong board or cable can bring the power up when it was
>>> not intended--one should not risk that without compelling reason.
>>
>> This is the only /real/ point -- and I was well aware of it. And that's
>> why I wrote that you should know what you're doing if you don't
>> disconnect the power cable. It's as simple as that.
>
> No matter how thoroughly you know what you're doing fingers slip.

There are situations where this applies more, and there are situations
where this applies less. Just recently, I had an open case on my bench, a
few disks lying on the bench next to it, some connected, some not, and
booted the computer a few times, each time with a different disk
configuration. I connected and disconnected the disks while the ATX power
supply was in standby mode. I wasn't meddling inside the case where I could
have accidentally unplugged a cable (since the disks were actually outside
the computer). So it was /safe/ to (un)plug the IDE interface cables while
on ATX standby power; I don't see a reason why it shouldn't have been. You
say it never is; I say if the proper precautions are taken, it can be
(because it is from the IDE bus/mobo/disk corruption POV).

> Not in any engineering firm that I am aware of. If you don't _know_ then
> you find out.

That's maybe the reason why you quit engineering. The only thing worse than
an engineer who doesn't know anything is one who thinks he knows something
:)

Good engineering is always about successfully approximating things and
making the odds work for you. You'd probably be surprised to see how little
of all the possible ramifications is known to anybody designing a product.
There's just not the time to get to the /real/ bottom of things. You always
have to stop spending time and money /somewhere/ -- and always short of
getting all the answers. A good engineer has a high probability of getting
the relevant answers sufficiently close, a bad engineer hasn't. And even a
good engineer doesn't know up front whether he did -- and a good engineer
knows that.

(And before you go ahead and read into this that I think I'm a good
engineer: while I'm aspiring to be a good one, I don't think it's up to me
to judge that. I let the people I design for judge how good they think I
am.)

Gerhard

Archived from groups: alt.video.dvd.tech,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

Rod Speed wrote:

> Columbus <hiss@mail.com> wrote
>
>>I'm a home PC user based in the UK. I run mainly office applications
>>and downloading music. No gaming or power PC stuff.
>
>>------
>
>>(A) My music is mainly on two or three 160 GB drives.
>>Much of that can be replaced.
>

>>(B) I have also got XP on a 15 GB system partition.
>
>>(C) Various downloaded programs, utilities and
>>cache files take 45 GB on another partition.
>
>>My drives are ATA 3.5inch internal drives. I find it easy enough
>>to put them in or take them out of the PC cabinet without needing
>>to get an expensive USB attached hard drive.

Buy the cheap internal EIDE HDDs and put them in cheap USB2/FireWire
external cases you can buy (US$20-30, although I haven't scoured the
'Net for the best price). I can't imagine paying the freight the HDD
companies want for external HDDs.

>>I want to keep backup copies of the partitions used by the
>>system (B above) and downloaded programs (C above).
>
> Is there much point with the C ? They age pretty
> quickly and can be easily replaced if you need to.
>
> Likely better to keep a list of them rather than backing them up.
>
>>How viable is it for a user like me to use a HARD DRIVE
>>(maybe 160 GB or 200 GB) as a backup medium?
>
> Very viable.
>
>>I would store the hard drive stored on a shelf away from the system.
>
> That doesnt gain much backup wise, having it out of the
> system. If it isnt hidden it may well get stolen with the
> system and it obviously isnt protected against fire or flood etc.

I do weekly (more or less) backups to external HDDs and once a month I
take the latest HDD and put it in my off site storage, so even if my
computer is stolen or the building burns down, my worst case scenario is
recovering as of the first of the month.

>>Is it worth worrying that the hard drive could become
>>problematic when it gets put back in the system?
>
> It shouldnt be if you use a formal standard like SATA.
>
>>Is it likely that "normal shocks" in handling the hard
>>drive could damage my backup data stored on it?
>
> Yes, particularly if you are prone to dropping things.
>
> Hard drives hate that.

True, but what are considered "normal shocks"? It's best not to drop HDDs.

Richard Urban [MVP] wrote:

> You are just speaking of two very different backup strategies. It is a
> personal preference and you should use what you feel comfortable with.
> Either one is "good"! Try them both and you will soon gravitate toward one
> as "your" preferred method.

The key, of course, is *having* a backup strategy and actually using it.
That alone will put you ahead of probably 90% of home computer users
(maybe more).

Archived from groups: alt.video.dvd.tech,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user) wrote:

<snip>

> Caveats:
>
> 1) XP original (SP0) can't "see" HDs < 137G
> 2) XP installations do not survive file-level copying, must image
> 3) ATX "off" maintains power trickle; unsafe to remove IDE HDs

Do a normal Windows shutdown, cut power to the complex (trivial if
you're using a UPS), then press & hold the power button for 10-20
seconds. That'll bleed off any remaining charge on the motherboard.

> 4) S-ATA hot-swappability requires S-ATA power connection
> 5) Single recent backup may contain pre-existing problems
> 6) HDs don't sem to like brackets and exclosures

Huh? What do you mean by "brackets and exclosures" (enclosures, of course)?

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: alt.video.dvd.tech,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 06:58:51 -0400, Sparky Spartacus
<Sparky@universalexports.org> wrote:

>> 1) XP original (SP0) can't "see" HDs < 137G

SP2 does.

>> 2) XP installations do not survive file-level copying, must image

Please explain.

>> 3) ATX "off" maintains power trickle; unsafe to remove IDE HDs

Unplug computer.

Archived from groups: alt.video.dvd.tech,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 06:58:51 -0400, Sparky Spartacus
>cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user) wrote:

>> Caveats:
>>
>> 1) XP original (SP0) can't "see" HDs < 137G
>> 2) XP installations do not survive file-level copying, must image
>> 3) ATX "off" maintains power trickle; unsafe to remove IDE HDs

>Do a normal Windows shutdown, cut power to the complex (trivial if
>you're using a UPS), then press & hold the power button for 10-20
>seconds. That'll bleed off any remaining charge on the motherboard.

IOW, use a real power switch rather than ATX "off". Yep, that's what
I do too, if there is one, else I unplug the mains.

Oh rats, I oversnipped...

>Huh? What do you mean by "brackets and exclosures" (enclosures, of course)?

Yes, typo well spotted thanks. What I mean is that for whatever
reason, I see more HD failures and/or data loss associated with
brackets and enclosures than I do for HDs within desktop systems.

>------------ ----- ---- --- -- - - - -
The most accurate diagnostic instrument
in medicine is the Retrospectoscope
>------------ ----- ---- --- -- - - - -

Marty

Archived from groups: alt.video.dvd.tech,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

Somewhere around Wed, 24 Aug 2005 18:09:11 +0200, while reading
alt.video.dvd.tech, I think I thought I saw this post from "cquirke (MVP
Windows shell/user)" <cquirkenews@nospam.mvps.org>:

>>Huh? What do you mean by "brackets and exclosures" (enclosures, of course)?
>
>Yes, typo well spotted thanks. What I mean is that for whatever
>reason, I see more HD failures and/or data loss associated with
>brackets and enclosures than I do for HDs within desktop systems.

But what are "brackets"?

I think you're right that there will be more failures for a drive that gets
handled a lot, although I think that if you're very careful while the drive
is spinning, and semi-careful while it's static, you'll probably be OK.

I have an IDE to USB2 adapter, AC powered, that can connect to a raw drive
with no case for all those old drives I have (40 - 80 GB, mostly). I use
them to mirror my media files. But for regular backup, I use a 2nd drive
that's installed in the machine all the time, and I have scheduled backups,
using XP's native scheduler and backup (ugh).

I set several almost identical schedules for each type, differing only in
the backup filename and schedule (so they are staggered). I may have 4
monthly backups, one on say the 1st Friday, one on the 2nd Friday, etc.
That way, I have the last 4 weekly backups to choose from in case the last
one is bad. I do the same for more and less frequent backups.

The other thing I do is to set my computer to automatically power up every
day a little before I come home from work, and schedule the backups for that
period. That way, I don't need to leave them on all the time.

--
Marty - public.forums (at) gmail (dot) com
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them...

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 12:55:52 GMT, spam@uce.gov (Bob) wrote:
>On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 06:58:51 -0400, Sparky Spartacus

>>> 1) XP original (SP0) can't "see" HDs < 137G

>SP2 does.

Yes, and so does SP1, though with a few caveats (certain contexts in
SP1 don't see over 137G and can corrupt data; SP2 is OK. If all XP
had the problem, I'd have written "XP" rather than "XP original (SP0)"

>>> 2) XP installations do not survive file-level copying, must image

>Please explain.

If you scrupulously copy all files from a Win9x installation,
preserving LFNs, then the destination C: will run if booted.

If you do the same thing in XP, the result is a destination C: that
won't boot. This can be fixed by a "repair" install, but that has a
significant adverse impact that I'd prefer to avoid.

OTOH, if you image off the XP installation volume, the new destination
C: drive will run if booted.

>>> 3) ATX "off" maintains power trickle; unsafe to remove IDE HDs

>Unplug computer.

Yup, that's exactly the point I was trying to make.

Sorry if my post was a bit terse; I was trying to keep to a "one line
per item number" format :)

Reality is that which, when you stop believing
in it, does not go away (PKD)

Archived from groups: alt.video.dvd.tech,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

Sparky Spartacus <Sparky@universalexports.org> wrote:
> Rod Speed wrote:
>
>> Columbus <hiss@mail.com> wrote
>>
>>> I'm a home PC user based in the UK. I run mainly office
>>> applications and downloading music. No gaming or power PC stuff.
>>
>>> ------
>>
>>> (A) My music is mainly on two or three 160 GB drives.
>>> Much of that can be replaced.
>>

>>> (B) I have also got XP on a 15 GB system partition.
>>
>>> (C) Various downloaded programs, utilities and
>>> cache files take 45 GB on another partition.
>>
>>> My drives are ATA 3.5inch internal drives. I find it easy enough
>>> to put them in or take them out of the PC cabinet without needing
>>> to get an expensive USB attached hard drive.
>
> Buy the cheap internal EIDE HDDs and put them in cheap USB2/FireWire
> external cases you can buy (US$20-30, although I haven't scoured the
> 'Net for the best price). I can't imagine paying the freight the HDD
> companies want for external HDDs.
>
>>> I want to keep backup copies of the partitions used by the
>>> system (B above) and downloaded programs (C above).
>>
>> Is there much point with the C ? They age pretty
>> quickly and can be easily replaced if you need to.
>>
>> Likely better to keep a list of them rather than backing them up.
>>
>>> How viable is it for a user like me to use a HARD DRIVE
>>> (maybe 160 GB or 200 GB) as a backup medium?
>>
>> Very viable.
>>
>>> I would store the hard drive stored on a shelf away from the system.
>>
>> That doesnt gain much backup wise, having it out of the
>> system. If it isnt hidden it may well get stolen with the
>> system and it obviously isnt protected against fire or flood etc.
>
> I do weekly (more or less) backups to external HDDs and once a month I
> take the latest HDD and put it in my off site storage, so even if my
> computer is stolen or the building burns down, my worst case scenario
> is recovering as of the first of the month.
>
>>> Is it worth worrying that the hard drive could become
>>> problematic when it gets put back in the system?
>>
>> It shouldnt be if you use a formal standard like SATA.
>>
>>> Is it likely that "normal shocks" in handling the hard
>>> drive could damage my backup data stored on it?
>>
>> Yes, particularly if you are prone to dropping things.
>>
>> Hard drives hate that.
>
> True, but what are considered "normal shocks"? It's best not to drop HDDs.

It isnt even a great idea to let them slap the table when putting them on a
table top.

cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user) <cquirkenews@nospam.mvps.org> wrote
> spam@uce.gov (Bob) wrote
>> Sparky Spartacus

>> SP2 does.

> Yes, and so does SP1, though with a few caveats (certain
> contexts in SP1 don't see over 137G and can corrupt data;

Bullshit.

> SP2 is OK. If all XP had the problem, I'd have
> written "XP" rather than "XP original (SP0)"

>> Please explain.

> If you scrupulously copy all files from a Win9x installation,
> preserving LFNs, then the destination C: will run if booted.

> If you do the same thing in XP, the result
> is a destination C: that won't boot.

Wrong.

> This can be fixed by a "repair" install, but
> that has a significant adverse impact

Bullshit.

> that I'd prefer to avoid.

> OTOH, if you image off the XP installation volume,
> the new destination C: drive will run if booted.

Utterly mangled all over again.

Marty

Archived from groups: alt.video.dvd.tech,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

Somewhere around Thu, 25 Aug 2005 04:55:30 +1000, while reading
alt.video.dvd.tech, I think I thought I saw this post from "Rod Speed"
<rod_speed@yahoo.com>:

>cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user) <cquirkenews@nospam.mvps.org> wrote
>> spam@uce.gov (Bob) wrote
>>> Sparky Spartacus

>>> SP2 does.
>
>> Yes, and so does SP1, though with a few caveats (certain
>> contexts in SP1 don't see over 137G and can corrupt data;
>
>Bullshit.
>
>> SP2 is OK. If all XP had the problem, I'd have
>> written "XP" rather than "XP original (SP0)"

>>> Please explain.
>
>> If you scrupulously copy all files from a Win9x installation,
>> preserving LFNs, then the destination C: will run if booted.
>
>> If you do the same thing in XP, the result
>> is a destination C: that won't boot.
>
>Wrong.
>
>> This can be fixed by a "repair" install, but
>> that has a significant adverse impact
>
>Bullshit.
>
>> that I'd prefer to avoid.
>
>> OTOH, if you image off the XP installation volume,
>> the new destination C: drive will run if booted.
>
>Utterly mangled all over again.

Your comments might be useful if you were to elaborate enough to say what
point is wrong. I know for a fact that most of what was said is true,
though not everything is complete - but simply saying "is not" like a little
kid doesn't really contribute anything other than hard feelings on the part
of someone who is actually trying to make a positive contribution rather
than simply negating everything.

And if you think everyone should not say anything unless it's 100% accurate,
then you don't understand the purpose of discussion groups; also, you would
have nobody to disagree with, as you would be the only poster.

--

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 04:55:30 +1000, "Rod Speed" <rod_speed@yahoo.com>
>cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user) <cquirkenews@nospam.mvps.org> wrote
>> spam@uce.gov (Bob) wrote
>>> Sparky Spartacus

>>> SP2 does.

>> Yes, and so does SP1, though with a few caveats (certain
>> contexts in SP1 don't see over 137G and can corrupt data;

>Bullshit.

<sigh> ...here we go again...

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;LN;331060

"The flush cache command is not issued to a large hard disk that has a
48-bit logical block address (LBA) enabled. As a result, the hard disk
may become corrupted when you enter either the Shutdown state or the
Hibernate state."

These dudes found out about this the hard way...

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/1063617810

>>> Please explain.

>> If you scrupulously copy all files from a Win9x installation,
>> preserving LFNs, then the destination C: will run if booted.

>> If you do the same thing in XP, the result
>> is a destination C: that won't boot.

>Wrong.

Nope; that's consistently been my mileage, with both XP installations
of NTFS and FATxx. Do a file-level copy, won't work; do an image
copy, will (though you may have to do a partition size nudge if using
BING to do the imaging).

>> This can be fixed by a "repair" install, but that has a significant
>> adverse impact

>Bullshit.

Impact of "repair install" on a freshly-setup XP Pro SP2:
- creation of new accounts, if NTFS
- AVG 7.0 "installation damaged, please re-install"
- loss of patches
- loss of certain settings that you may have applies, e.g.
- Auto-restart on errors re-enabled
- RPC failures revert to restarting the whole system
- IE install-on-demand reverts to enabled
- OE re-asserted as default email application
- lost status for Windows updates (was "auto-dl, then prompt")
- units of measurement revert to King's Toenails a la US profile
- various deleted UI elements re-asserted
- various lost privacy protections in Windows Media Pimp

I've never bothered to figure out how to killfile a particular poster,
but I'm beginning to see why it may be a good idea.

>--------------- ------- ----- ---- --- -- - - - -
When your mind goes blank, remember to turn down the sound
>--------------- ------- ----- ---- --- -- - - - -

Marty

Archived from groups: alt.video.dvd.tech,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

Somewhere around Thu, 25 Aug 2005 23:50:01 +0200, while reading
alt.video.dvd.tech, I think I thought I saw this post from "cquirke (MVP
Windows shell/user)" <cquirkenews@nospam.mvps.org>:

>I've never bothered to figure out how to killfile a particular poster,
>but I'm beginning to see why it may be a good idea.
In Agent, you can right-click on a post, and choose "Filters", then "Add
kill filter". It will default to adding the author. The default filter
action is to mark it as read, so if you are viewing only unread messages,
you will not see it, unless you view all messages.

I don't killfile many people, but a few are worthwile, and this one has set
a speed record.

Marty
It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument.
-William G. McAdoo