Witch raid should i try first??

blaze15301

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
ok im bord and i have alot of spare time lately and ive been wanting to try out a raid set up i have
the gigabyte ga-ma790x-ud4p and it can do raid on a separate controller i guess. i have a tera byte that has all my important stuff on it so im not using that for anything. i have no identical drive well i have 3 segates drives that are all 720 rpms but are different in size i think 2 of them have the same cache.

i have a 500gig used now for my primary
a tera for back up
180 for games
and a external 120 doing nothing.
so what raid should i do. i know i should use the same drives but i herd it works like this so im gonna try it and see if raid 0 will be faster for apps and games then ill do that so someone suggest what to do and please give me some advice im running windows 7 ultimate 64 bi

Solution
I don't know if you can do hardware RAID with different drives, but what will probably happen is that the on the larger drive, you will have unused space left over.

What is your goal here with RAID - just to try it for fun, or accomplish anything?

Also, please tell me that English is not your native language. Make me happy.

gtvr

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
I don't know if you can do hardware RAID with different drives, but what will probably happen is that the on the larger drive, you will have unused space left over.

What is your goal here with RAID - just to try it for fun, or accomplish anything?

Also, please tell me that English is not your native language. Make me happy.

Solution

blaze15301

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
lol, yes English is my native language i was just really really tired when i decided to post that. i just want to try raid for the hell of it. if it works it works if i gain something then ill keep it if not ill get rid of it. i know if i raid say my 120 gig hard drive and my 180 gig hard drive ill lose the difference between them.