With HDDs On The Ropes, Samsung Predicts SSD Price Collisions As NVMe Takes Over

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

InvalidError

Titan

The mechanical parts and required electronics to manage them set the absolute minimum price that HDDs can be sold for to cover costs. With HDDs' cost per bit no longer going down by much while SSDs are still getting much cheaper each year, it is only a matter of time before SSDs become cheaper than similar size HDDs and Samsung thinks we'll get there in 2020 for ~500GB. You can occasionally catch ~500GB SSDs on sale for about $100.

For many people, having a single $100 500GB SSD is a better option than a $60 250GB SSD and a $40 1TB HDD.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Paul's point was about shipment in volume. So, you really can't go by what people are selling old drives for. That's probably inventory clearance, shrink (i.e. product stolen from a legit retailer), asset liquidation, etc.

Those deals will always be out there, but they don't characterize the bulk of purchases. For that, you really can't include ebay, Amazon marketplace sellers, or other people selling via Newegg. You have to restrict the seller to just Amazon, Newegg, or other major retailers.

Surely the Dell & HP Business desktops are a major reason why we continue to see so many HDDs shipped in new desktops? Literally this morning the IT crew at work plonk a new Dell Insprion 7000 on my desk to replace my 3 yr old one. i7 6700, 8GB RAM, aaaaand and pos 500GB HDD. Out of curiosity I went to Dell website and tried to customise one, and this particular model (at least) had absolutely no options to replace the primary HDD with an SSD. My guess is that Dell & HP and co are clinging to HDDs because it's the best way to ensure their business customers will get see merits in upgrading their desktops again after the 3yr (or whatever) lease cycle. That despite the fact that 99% of those customers would be far, far better served by just replacing the HDDs in their 3 yr old machines with any half decent SSD.

It'll be interesting to see what they do when ~250GB SSDs are actually cheaper than HDDs. Difficult for Dell, HP & co to justify paying more for a HDD.

Musaab

Reputable
Sep 29, 2014
In fact a big part of CPU's sale in laptops market is result of people wanting better GPUs and since MXM isn't that popular in silm gaming laptops, gamers forced to replace the entire laptop to get better GPU.

Shipment in volume, sure. I was more referring to end user purchases which may be different, not just the commercial bulk applications. Catching a 500gb ssd on sale isn't bad for ssd pricing, only because they're so expensive in the first place. $100 for 500gb is still 4x the price of common hdd's at around $45-50 for 1tb. That's not a small price difference, 400% is a lot.

2020 is still over 3yrs away, quite awhile in tech terms so I don't think hdd's are going anywhere anytime soon. That is unless they pull what they did with lcd monitors and just yank the old tech off the shelf. That would force people to either do without the space or pony up and that would be a bad deal for many folks. Even 500gb is a bit slim for a gaming pc depending on the games and how many. Some people only play one or two games at a time I suppose, others who have a larger collection may not want to have to delete and reload their games on a somewhat frequent basis.

Cloud storage is sort of an option for those who A, trust cloud storage to be secure and B, have fast enough internet without limitations. A lot of people still have slow internet or limited internet usage or both which makes cloud storage more of a bandaid than a real solution. Also if someone's internet goes down they're blocked from their files.

For the time being and likely the next several years hdd's will continue to fill a role that the ssd's just aren't at the moment. Affordable storage. Ssd's are definitely falling in price. Using the popular samsung evo's as an example, in 2013 the 840 evo was pretty decently priced (among ssd's) at around $180-190 for 250gb. The 850 evo was released around a year later in 2014 at around $100 for the same size, so a nice price drop. Now however the 840 evo's are back up to $140 and the 850 evo is still hovering around $93-95. A bit volatile in pricing just like ram is.

There's the 750 evo which is a bit cheaper, around $70 for 250gb but they also went with cheaper planar nand. Unfortunately they're not the same test to my knowledge so hard to directly compare. Anandtech bench'd the 750 evo and average data rate was 87mb/s using their extreme test. Under their heavy test, the avg data rate was 226mb/s on an empty drive and dropped to 126mb/s on a full drive. By contrast when the wd10ezex 1tb 7200rpm drive was tested using hdtune pro 5.5 it had an avg read of 148mb/s across the entire drive with a max of 179mb/s and min of 90mb/s. The 750's average works out to 176mb/s and during that heavy test they never ran it long enough to hit steady state.

Of course seek/access times are much better on an ssd, but it sort of shows how performance begins to hurt as they cheapen ssd's. That's the sort of performance for now that's considered a 'deal' when getting 1/4 the storage space for 40% more cost. Hopefully they have more tricks up their sleeve for keeping performance up and driving costs down or else by the time they cut corners some more we may just find ourselves with slightly higher cost ssd's (vs current hdd's) with similar space and similar performance. Other than a few things like lower power consumption and form factor reduction, right back where we started.

I'm not discounting ssd's performance benefits but especially when looking for 'cheap storage' vs high end performance, the 750 evo vs the 850 pro it puts people in a bit of a pickle. The cheap(er) drives begin suffering in performance as they fill up and that's what storage drives are for, to be filled with data. In order to really reap the benefits of these inexpensive drives people will have to partially fill them which means they'll need to buy larger than needed to avoid the performance drop off. That means potentially needing a larger more costly drive.

A lot of these are just speculation and it's difficult to speculate what lies ahead in 2-3yrs, whether it's drives, tech, memory pricing, games etc. Hopefully ssd's will continue to improve or come up with some new method to offer more affordable storage. I can't speak much to prebuilt pc's, never been a big fan personally. They often throw in low tier junk just good enough to 'tick' a specs list for the purpose of a quick sale. For now it seems a difficult balancing act between cutting corners and causing issues.

I appreciate samsung's attempt with the 750 evo and maybe it's just a test run, but they offer their budget ssd's in low capacity only options. There's no 750 evo above 250gb for now. In order to get into 1tb territory it's costing between $240 and $300. To get into higher endurance/reliability drives like the 850 pro it exceeds $400. Blazing speeds might not be needed on storage drives (vs os/apps) but things like durability are a concern. They would be much more viable if they could even get them around twice the price of hdd's, 1tb for $80-100.

rhysiam brings up a good point about mass markets for dell, hp etc and chances are they won't be concerned about larger capacity. That's usually left up to the end user. Then again the prebuilt market has never really been interested in offering things like performance, they'd rather sell more budget oriented machines which means 250gb more than likely.

@bit_user, as I pointed out those drives are going to be older. They don't really have much in the way of new 250gb hdd's, most are 1tb or larger. It was an attempt to compare ssd vs hdd on size, if going by current models then we look at 1tb hdd's still having a cost equal or lower than many 128gb ssd's and it only embarrasses them further. Nothing was said about ebay. It may be that Paul and I were talking different scenarios, one being oem bulk purchasing and the other point being single item end user purchases. Bulk purchases are almost always going to be cheaper and I've not seen any wholesale drive pricing from newegg or other vendors. Usually you need a retail license to even gain access to those sort of lists, newegg and other prices we see are end user retail. That means newegg purchased the drive for xyz, added their markup to cover their shipping costs and profit margin and passing it along to the end consumer. Someplace like HP would get a solid price cut buying 10's of thousands of drives in bulk oem packaging directly from the manufacturer and then factoring their profit into a prebuilt system. They're not buying them 1 or 5 at a time from newegg.

There's no actual information that says you have to take pricing from newegg, no idea where that came from. They're not listed as 'deals' which are typically posted as 'was this price, now this price', save $10 or other wording. Going by 'legit' retailers the typical wd10ezex 1tb runs anywhere from $50 to $60 whether buying from newegg, b&h, pcm or dell. That's like saying ok, sure compare car prices, but you can only buy it from Big Bill's. In texas. Dallas to be specific, anywhere else doesn't count, it's probably a stolen car if Al's in Houston has it cheaper. Unless the older/outdated 250gb hdd's were stolen maybe years ago and someone sat on them so they could sell them for $30 6yrs later, maybe they played the long game.

There's no good way to compare hdd's vs ssd's based on capacity. Common current hdd's capacity is well above the typical ssd and at a far lower price. Even when going with an older smaller hdd where it should be hitting rock bottom at say the $40 bottom end mentioned in the article, the least cost effective hdd when $10 more can buy 4x the capacity. Comparing it to the equally sized 240-250gb ssd's which are becoming more commonplace. Ignoring capacity and looking at typical drive options from both, hdd's are cruising around 20gb/dollar and ssd's are 3.5gb/dollar. That's around a 570% cost difference and that's compared to the more budget oriented 750 evo.

I haven't checked the toshiba's out, can't speak to their reliability much or know of any inherent problems however they have a 3tb drive for $90. That further widens the gap to over 33gb/dollar. Ssd's have a long way to go to make up ground in the price/capacity arena.

nuttynut

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2016

What about those of us (like me) who don't upgrade until the old hardware fails.

3ogdy

Distinguished

Well,the thing is, on a desktop you'd get an SSD to put your OS and software on, not exactly to replace an HDD, unless the HDD is 40-60-80-120GB big. But that's more likely to be using IDE than SATA, given the capacity.
Now the thing is some computers can hold up very well and can easily carry you through a decade without a problem (except maybe the PSU if it's not a high-quality one). I used second-hand Pentium 1 PCs that I later sold to somebody else and those things were like tanks, but slow as hell and it happened to have the same RAM amount I'm using today, only expressed in MB (32MB)

Also, sometimes companies like Microsoft, Adobe and the rest might force you to upgrade by giving up support for the OS, at which point you're at a dead end. XP can't live forever, I guess. Chrome doesn't get updates on Vista anymore. Of course, you could use Firefox and all...but there comes a point at which you'llbe forced to upgrade - if not by software, then by a lack of compatible hardware on the market. IE6 doesn't open websites anymore. They specifically blocked it, due to security (and technological) reasons, essentially excluding IE6 users from the web (not that there would be that many nowadays, but you see what they do).

Intel is a scumbag at this - try finding reliable socket 1366 motherboards on the market. They vanished like drug dealers when they hear cops coming - and Core i7s aren't exactly slow CPUs. (like Celerons or Pentium I-II-III...systems)

InvalidError

Titan

Every paper I have seen says that 3D NAND will get much cheaper per bit than planar, which is why all manufacturers are going 3D. Prices are only higher due to supply needing to catch up with demand and early R&D amortization. At the rate SSD prices are dropping, we'll see 250GB SSDs under $40 next year.

RomeoReject

Reputable
Jan 4, 2015

Oh, okie dokie. Thanks! This community is great for teaching things.

i can vouch for that. i have had a I5 3570K PC for a few years now but the mobo died so i need to get a new CPU and found that with the 3570K at stock the 6500 is basically the same with it lower clock speed and a 5% increase at most with a 6600 and that is max 3.9gHz at stock

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Earlier this year, I upgraded my desktop to a Dell Precision 5810. I insisted on SSD (Dell wouldn't indicate the brand or model, but it turned out to be a Samsung SM871).

The silly thing about our IT department is that they constrained the CPU to an E5-1607 v3. It's such a bad CPU that it doesn't even show up in the list of Xeon E5 v3 CPUs, on ark.intel.com. You have to explicitly search for it, to find the thing. It's about the same or slower at pretty much everything than my Sandybridge E5-1620, that I built back in 2011. The only thing in the new machine's favor is AVX2, which I've confirmed it does have, but it has bizarrely low memory performance (I checked all the BIOS settings and made sure all 4 DIMMs are installed in the correct slots).

Oh, and the for price differential between the default HDD and the smaller SSD, I could've bought a comparable SSD on Newegg and had a SSD + HDD + some cash to spare.

With respect, I think you're placing low end SSDs much, much closer to HDDs they they deserve to be. You can't even remotely compare Anandtech's heavy (let alone destroyer!) test to HD Tune. Guru3D put the 750 EVO through HD Tune and it sustained over 450MBps. Of course that's writing direct to cache, but that's precisely the point, "normal" workloads (which entry level SSDs are designed for) rarely exhaust the cache. If then you want to look at heavy workloads, SSDs utterly decimate mechanical storage. Looking at the total reads and writes involved in Anandtech's Destroyer test, the data rate tells us that the 750 EVO took around 8 hours to complete, and was (at the time) by far the worst SSD ever tested. But that test involves 50 million I/O operations. So even a decent HDD like a WD Black with it's ~150 IOPS would take over 90 hours, or more than 10 times longer than the 750 EVO - and that's assuming you're constantly IO limited, and never saturating the throughput of the drive.

I would argue that the one and only case where a low end SSD approaches HDD in performance terms is in large sequential writes that exceed the SSD cache capacity and have to write directly to the slow TLC NAND (or worse, constantly have to write to cache and then empty it). If all you want to do with a drive is write huge files to it, then a cheap TLC SSD is a terrible idea and in some cases may even perform worse than a HDD. But just about every other use case, and especially anything remotely IO intensive, SSDs, even cheap ones, are at least much faster and in many cases are in an entirely different league. "Normal" user tasks like booting Windows, installing updates, installing a program, running a virus scan and indexing libraries will run far, far faster on any SSD and, the crucial thing that is sometimes overlooked, unlike a HDD the system remains responsive and entirely usable while any of these tasks are occurring in the background. Respectfully, I think it's a mistake to suggest that low end SSDs are anywhere near HDDs in general performance.

hotroderx

Distinguished
May 15, 2008
The problem now days isn't hitting a bottle neck with your CPU! its hitting a bottle neck with technology! Intels been really smart about there designs. There going to force you to upgrade that old motherboard and processor to something new to get the latest support hardware.

The Z77 chipset that I have is capable of NVME but good luck finding bios that supports booting from a PCI-Express. I did get lucky thought and found a beta upgrade for my bios. I have good reason to believe its one of the few boards capable of such a feat with out major bios tweaks.

InvalidError

Titan

Any PC with PCIe slots can potentially boot from NVMe, you just need a drive with the necessary UEFI binary blob.

For most people though, NVMe provides very little everyday benefits over SATA3 and is not worth ditching your older but still perfectly adequate PC for, just like very few people can justify scrapping their current PCs to get type-C gen1/2. I have no plan to upgrade my i5-3470 in the foreseeable future and if I need type-C, I'll just use a 3.0A-to-C cable/adapter.

@Rhysiam, I agree for short bursts the ssd's are a lot faster. Sustained loads are a different matter and also depending on the drive itself, when capacity begins filling up I don't think it will be sustaining 480mb/s either. On a nearly empty drive sure but many people will have their drives full of stuff. I only mentioned the ssd performance drop off because it's more likely to happen on lower end drives which is exactly where budget ssd's are heading. They're cutting corners to lower price, using planar nand, dram-less and a variety of other things.

The more budget friendly ssd's are also likely to be the smaller ones which is why samsung didn't offer anything over 250gb in their new 750 evo series. The article covering them mentioned how they start at $45 which sounds great but that's for the 120gb model. If speeds drop off when significantly full, and it's easy to fill a 120gb drive over halfway with even a light amount of data - then it means moving up to a 250gb which costs more. If filling a 250gb drive to 1/2 or 3/4 full that means considering yet a larger drive and more money. Not just because of size but because in the case of the 750 (as an example) there aren't any bigger drives. Now someone has to consider an 850 evo and their costs just went up again due to it being a more robust drive.

Not saying that's how all ssd's are, there are certainly more options than samsung's lineup. I'm only looking at it in terms of speculation, is this the direction other major manufacturers will take in their race to the bottom? Budget lines with limited storage capacities, cheaper lower performing nand, corner cutting? What other cost saving options may come down the line in the future that could also be performance killers and/or reduce drive reliability as they slowly roll out new tech. Obviously if there's a problem like samsung had with data deterioration on older models they'll be working to address and fix it. No telling what pitfalls may come about and need further ironed out as they experiment in trying to bring cheaper capacity to ssd's.

I know hdd's by contrast are lower performers. For many daily light tasks such as opening a browser, creating new tabs, a variety of things 'old' hdd's are plenty snappy. There might be a slight visual difference that gives the appearance of 'faster' for those tasks but it's also not like hdd based systems are unusable dinosaurs either. The real world speed difference is so slight between the two for basic tasks that someone might get an additional key pressed on the keyboard in that time frame, one character. If they're quick.

Where I've seen ssd's make a much larger difference is with laptops and traditionally they have been slow. They've also traditionally used 5400rpm drives and before ssd's were a 'thing' upgrading to a 7200rpm 2.5" made a world of difference. Even my old outdated dell laptop with a 7200rpm 2.5" running an intel dual core cpu (pre i3) was snappy when it came to web browsing. Mechanical drives in 2.5" form factor tend to also suffer from the much smaller platter diameter, not as much of an issue on 3.5" desktop models. Many of the older 7200rpm 2.5" drives were also stunted by 16mb of cache where many of the newer ones have 32mb. Still not the typical 64mb to 128mb cache of the larger 3.5" drives.

I don't keep up with modern laptops, just checked a few on newegg. Not gaming variety, just basic laptops. One an acer aspire with an i3 6100u and sadly, it comes with a 500gb 5400rpm drive. Maybe it's the lone ranger but seeing the 5400rpm slow as dirt variety still a thing in 2016. Thought maybe it was the fact it's on sale for $350 so found another aspire for $460 also on sale. It has a 1tb hdd also at 5400rpm. Honestly I figured the 5400rpm turtles would have long been gone by now. At least lenovo had one in that price range with a 500gb 7200rpm drive. From the mobile standpoint I can see where ssd's are badly needed.

I don't discount your points about faster boot times and other tasks, though I guess it boils down to individual usage/behaviors. For mobile it makes more sense a laptop would be booted multiple times throughout the day. A desktop or workstation, not so much and depends on the individual. I'm at the other extreme, I hardly ever power down my system. Quite a few people don't power their desktop up repeatedly day in and day out. If someone is short on time maybe they need to do an av scan while working on their pc. Depending on the scan it can interrupt the process if using the pc so may as well let it run during off hours without files being accessed and shuffled. Library indexing does take some time when first setting up a pc, after that minor adjustments don't take long.

Installing an ssd in my other pc I was completely blown away by the windows install speed. Unfortunately I only install windows once a year at most, usually only every other year. It was a short lived hurrah. Program installs are also not usually part of the daily routine unless someone's using their pc for a test bench to try out various software or reinstalling windows several times a day for testing purposes. Then again it's possible I'm weird and don't use my pc like most people do so I don't notice the difference as much.

Many of the tasks a typical user would encounter where the ssd is world's apart in performance are one off rather than daily or multiple daily ordeals. At least from what I can tell and from my experiences, the more mundane, repetitive daily pc tasks there's not a whole lot of difference. Short bursts. Ssd's can definitely help older aging systems or lower end systems but I find in many cases they were using an old hdd, one that was full of fragmented files (lack of disk management), low rpm or low cache, or a system that in reality was low on ram. Pagefile swaps when memory is full can be painful on an hdd as the slowdown is really noticeable. That's a mixed issue though, some may complain the hdd is too slow and the flipside is that system isn't running with adequate ram if it's consistently hitting the pagefile.

I'm not anti ssd but they definitely need to grow in capacity and drop in price to adequately replace the dinosaurs. Hopefully that will come in the next few years, I'd consider them as hdd replacements. Even if they got close to price/capacity, as in $100 for a 1tb model which is still double the cost of platters.

My only other option would be to grab a 250gb model and buy a bunch of dvd's to try and archive the data that wouldn't fit. I've got 700gb worth of data I need to be able to access, limited by budget means I'd have to fit around 200gb on the 250gb ssd (to account for actual usable space and headroom) and the remaining 500gb would have to be shuffled onto 107 dvd's. Factor the time it takes to burn 107 full dvd's (around 32hrs), somehow categorize them, store them in a binder and then the slow access time of reading whichever dvd I needed at the moment, an ssd of similar cost at the moment would cost me a ridiculous amount of wasted time.

G

Sata makes no sense anymore, in fact Sata technology will go away and be replaced by NVMe. Instead of SATA ports we will see couple M.2 ports. Speed of new Samsung M.2 960 Pro is just incredible but also storage space is going up as well. Minimum power requirement and really really minimum space requirement will also simplify computer cases allowing better airflow. No extra SATA cables, cages for HDD, Sata Power cables...i am all for it!!!!

josejones

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
Very interesting article.

It would not bother me one bit if SATA became extinct. We will need it for the next few years just until we get into 2018 and 2020 but after that I hope SATA doesn't hang around for 10 long years after it was already obsolete like VGA did. I would certainly buy a motherboard that is future-proofed for the coming NVMe SSD era. SATA is already obsolete and dead to me as far as I'm concerned - it can completely go away as far as I'm concerned. I don't even really want SATA on my next new motherboard at all to be honest "... out with the old..." - just waiting for prices to drop.

InvalidError

Titan

If you want to make HDDs even cheaper than they already have, some NVMe equivalent may still be beneficial to reduce interface overhead, enable HDDs to use system RAM as buffers to eliminate the need for a ~64MB local buffer, enable the HDD to offload compute-expensive tasks such as FEC data recovery to the host CPU, etc. so the integrated control electronics can be reduced to the absolute minimum required to get data on and off the disks. That might reduce the absolute minimum cost by $3-5.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
No, I don't want that. I want the HDD to do NCQ, which means it'll still need a decent chunk of DRAM.

I'm a bit skeptical about how easily you can migrate enough of the other functions that you can meaningfully reduce its CPU cost. In any case, such a product might have a home in data warehouses, but not in my boxes.

jn77

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
Ehh, while this might be true, I am still looking for a 4TB mSATA (not M.2) for my ageing laptop and I would love to put a 4TB EVO in hard drive bay 1 and hard drive bay 2 and then replace the blu-ray burner with a hard drive caddy fora 3rd 4TB SSD, but dear Samsung..... I can by another high end laptop for $4500 instead of 3 of your EVO 4TB SSD's. so bring the prices in line with where they should be.

InvalidError

Titan

You don't need much memory to implement NCQ-like features when you can DMA the data directly between user-land and the storage system. All you need is enough memory to store the DMA task list (which could be managed and stored on the host side, enabling arbitrarily deep queue) and buffer the data to smooth out jitter. The storage controller knows hundreds of microseconds in advance what commands it can execute next, which is plenty of time to get the associated DMA transfers started, there is no need for more than 1MB of RAM. Ditching the external DRAM eliminates the need for an external DRAM controller in the CPU, along with the associated PCB space, voltage regulators and associated parts. That's where most of the $3 comes from. Offloading FEC recovery to the host CPU also enables the storage controller to keep going while the host tries to fix bad data instead of locking up the drive for several seconds.

The main reason modern HDDs and other small devices have 64MB or more RAM where it isn't necessary or even beneficial is simple: they are the smallest DRAM chips still being mass-produced by major manufacturers.

It would be interesting and likely appealing to some users who want a smaller system, less clutter if they did away with sata. Someone could use an m.2 or nvme drives and not have to bother. Hopefully it wouldn't become the standard though and leave others with no choice at all. Just because one person doesn't use it doesn't mean others won't. A lot of people were glad to see cases without external 5.25" bays, some of us still use optical drives whether for cd, dvd, br.

An external is an option but if all those sata's go away then anyone who needs flexibility will end up heavily relying on usb. I personally don't want to have a pc case and clutter around it an external optical drive, external hdd or nas enclosure. That's sort of the point of having everything internal in a desktop in a single box. All that external stuff and we may as well just have laptops or tablets. Either that or maybe a new device centered around an m.2 type drive with stacked components on top of it and just a bunch of ports to connect everything else to like a sort of 'super nuc'.

That's an interesting perspective and entirely different to my own. I regularly help other people with their PC's and can tell within seconds when I sit down at a computer whether the OS is on an SSD or HDD. A fresh Windows install, I agree, is relatively usable on a HDD. But once you start accumulating junk over the life of the computer, things slow down massively and I just find myself so frustrated with sluggish HDDs.

For me that's the key benefit of having an SSD in your system, it just makes everything "feel" more responsive. That IMHO is much more important than benchmarks or boot times. Maybe I'm just really impatient, I don't know, but I will never again work at a computer that boots of a HDD.

It's possible I'm weird and use my pc's different from everyone else. Every forum people suggest the one golden ticket to a better pc is an ssd. I'm left scratching my head because out of all the things I upgraded on both my systems, the ssd was one component I felt was a poor purchase. Not a bad purchase necessarily but the least improvement for the money spent compared to how everyone raves about them. I bought that ssd 2yrs ago and thought I'd go and grab a second one for this pc. Nope.

Things on a pc can only move so fast and the biggest productivity bottleneck is usually the human sitting at it. People can only type so fast, read or view so fast, process information so fast. Even multitasking has its limitations, there's no way to pay attention to a streaming video and read email while fighting off hordes of enemies on the latest game. Our eyeballs move to one thing at a time so we're limited. If it were a case of a system hanging so badly waiting on the drive to open a program, open a new tab, a new window etc then sure but I haven't experienced that.

It's not like it was back in the day on win95 with a p166, 16mb of ram and a turtle drive like an 80mb maxtor. Those were slow moving systems where you could literally watch it draw the window, click on explorer and see a blank area before it was populated with files and folders.

Status
Not open for further replies.