Wizardry Franchise Returns After 10 Years

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

As a huge wizardy 8 fan I can say that I dont care about this game.

G

Japanese RPGs were/are heavily influenced by Wizardry so this isn't a complete surprise. I don't think the gameplay will be too different so if you an stomach the anime style it may be worth a look.

someguynamedmatt

Distinguished
[citation][nom]refsius[/nom]Japanese RPGs were/are heavily influenced by Wizardry so this isn't a complete surprise. I don't think the gameplay will be too different so if you an stomach the anime style it may be worth a look.[/citation]
I can't. I just can't. I can name a whole epic marathon of things I'd rather do than attempt to stomach anime... frying my own testicles is pretty high on that list...

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
I played the original a long time ago. Fond memories of using ZILWAN to do 2100+ points of damage to a 4-point undead kobold and TILTOWAIT on whole herds of critters. Then there are those secret cheats like creating a bishop and identifying item #9.

G

[citation][nom]someguynamedmatt[/nom]I can't. I just can't. I can name a whole epic marathon of things I'd rather do than attempt to stomach anime... frying my own testicles is pretty high on that list...[/citation]

Your loss either way.

distanted

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2010
[citation][nom]schwiing[/nom]1981-2011..Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that 20 years?[/citation]
[citation]The last Wizardry title to appear on the market was the highly-popular Wizardry 8 back in 2001 [/citation]
Consider yourself corrected.

martel80

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
Compared to Wizardry 7, the 8 was painful because of the very slow combats and the reworked class system. There were also some quest/character bugs which ruined the gameplay even further.

I guess the good old RPG times are not coming back anytime soon with all these dumbed-down console ports like Dragon Age 2.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]hmp_goose[/nom]Cast BATU enough times and it might convert to a PC game . . .[/citation]

Ill rather cast NoThx to this when games like Dragon Age 2 ect are around the Win PC!

Darkerson

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
The Wizardry series has been on consoles as far back as the NES. The Japanese have always took to the series way more fanatically then anywhere else, hence all the console ports of the series over the years, plus all the Gaiden (side stories) versions and such.
The SNES had some really good ports and most of the series was released on it, but overall, The FM-Towns had some of the best ports of the games, with CD audio and completely redrawn graphics.
Rant aside, Im still happy the series is alive in some shape or form, and am also glad that we'll finally be getting a state side release.

On a side note, the translation for Wizardry VI on the SNES is getting close to being complete, for those that are interested.

http://tico999.freeweb.hu/

dawolf74

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009
I bought Gothic 1, 2+exp and 3 on steam for $6.
Better game, better gameplay, on steam, 3 full games, $6.
Steam deals are gonna keep putting these crap publishers in their place.
Eventually people will figure out that a $400 console and $50 games is a losing proposition vs. a $900 computer and $5 games (especially with computers being much more useful overall than any console).

And @schwing

-----

Carry the "1".

I bought Gothic 3 on Steam, but could not DL the manual; I get partial progress then hangs (sometimes, but not always, there's a PDF-related error message), with multiple browsers. I discovered I could not DL other manuals for Steam games (like Civ V, Drakkensang, etc). I put a support ticket in, but have got no response in a week now. If you have the Gothic 3 manual, please send me a PM; I really need it. Thanks.

jimmykibbles

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2011
Ahhh, Wizardy 7... first RPG I ever played and to this date still the greatest. Would love to see the series resurrected but can't say I'm at all interested in the anime style, sorry. My initial giddiness at seeing this news article has now given way to major disappointment.

Status
Not open for further replies.