Wolfenstein PC Recalled in Germany

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

testeo

Distinguished
May 19, 2008
[citation][nom]Renegade_Warrior[/nom]What's truly sad is there are still people in this world that still think that being German automatically makes one a Nazi.That is so Not True.There are two types of Nazi, both of which are bad. The Nazi political Party (does it still exist?), Then there were Hitler's henchmen, the SS which were the elite troops, the Guestoppo and others who were direct followers of Hitler.The rest were nothing more than German Soldiers following orders and civilians who did what they had to to get by during the war. If you refused to Sieg Heil, you were shunned or worse. My Grandmother was German and she refused to Sieg Heil throughout the war.Hitler and the Nazi Political party did a lot to harm to Germany's proud heritage.Is it no wonder that they don't want any direct reminders of that terrible time?Germany has a lot to be proud of and has given a lot to the world. But Germany does not need to be constantly reminded of what Hitler and the Nazi party did years ago.The Nazi past desperately needs to be put to rest permanently so the German people and the rest of the world can live a little more peacefully.Wolfenstein is meant to be an entertaining game.Let's just leave it at that.BTW.....I didn't mean to go on like this, but when it comes to Germany, Hitler and Nazis are a real sore point for me because of what they did to Deutschland and the rest of the world.[/citation]

There are only 2 types of Nazis.

1) The live one
2) The dead one

leichendiener

Distinguished
May 10, 2009
There is still significant anti-Semitism in Europe and groups of neo-nazis (usually young thugs) that enjoy the power mythology of the third reich. So, the thought is in order to de-nazifiy Germany, the swastika will be banned. Okay. Let's see if that truly makes a difference in the proclivity of these groups. In the US, there are three bastions of neo-nazis, southwest Missouri, Cor de Lane, Idaho, and central South Carolina (source Southern Poverty Law Center). I doubt seriously that banning Nazi symbols would have any effect on these groups stateside. They are what they are--hate groups that live on the margins of society.

badaxe2

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
[citation][nom]dark_lord69[/nom]I'm not surprised...Germany's population is like 90% elderly.They are a country with one of the oldest average age in the world.I believe a younger generation would be more open minded...[/citation]

The reason they are old and have arguably the lowest birthrate in Europe is because of their past, and them being constantly reminded of it and made to feel guilty about it. It would suck to be a German these days, I sympathize with them.

Someguyperson

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2007
I still don't think everyone here knows how many Nazis are actually still in Germany. Germany is extremely and perhaps overly protective with regard to violence because Germany actually doesn't want to have another totalitarian regime. It is very hard for Americans to comprehend, like how a sports star can be fined excessive amounts of money for calling someone a "monkey". Well, that's soccer for you.

D2ModPlayer

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
templeofposeidon Funny how you state that symbolism is the problem and how symbolism is not the problem all in the same post.

So if Swastikas are all over in Germany and they can be displayed publicly, all the less reason to ban this harmless game. Stopping violence in gaming isn't going to solve anything when TV is far more violent. I'd like to watch some TV in Germany, I bet it's pretty violent just like here in the US.

Gaming violence has never been as bad because in most games it's toned down enough to not really look that real. I've yet to play a PC game (I like shooters alot) that feel truly real. When I watch TV it looks much more real to me (maybe only because I've never been in battle, but that's my opinion). It's filed with live photography and games are just a bunch of unrealistic polygons. True games are getting more and more realistic but I doubt Wolfenstein is a problem when you consider games like Soldier of Fortune and Grand Theft Auto that have far more realistic depictions of violent crimes and gore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS