Wolfenstein: The New Order: The Hardware You Need to Play

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

oxiide

Distinguished
I HATE when they do this.. Core i7? Okay, so my i7-920 from four years ago is okay, but a brand-new Core i5-4670K is not? I understand the "average" consumer might not understand the difference, but they sure as hell can't learn anything from nonspecific, misleading information.

anthony8989

Distinguished
You definitely have to think about it for a couple of seconds. Surely when they mention a GTX 460 / HD 6850 they don't mean to combine those 3-generation old Gpus with a current CPU. On the same note, a writer for one the most respected tech sites in North America should dedicate at least one sentence in the story to clearifying that fact. Otherwise it appears as, we'll, BS to people that know better.

Vlad Rose

Reputable
Apr 7, 2014

Actually, 7790s are around $140~150 when not on sale. You might be thinking the 7770s which are around $120 or the 7750s which start at $100. Either way, the point is still true; you don't need to spend a ton to upgrade the video card to keep up.

Actually since Intel has the majority of the market share and the majority of normal users probably don't buy much more than a i3, they probably do mostly have SMT in them.

A lot of gamers who go high end get i7s or i5s.

And since the game is going to call to the CPU through the API (OpenGL) most likely it wont even know which cores are physical and which are logical since the API is supposed to handle it.

Maybe because the writer actually does not know nor does anyone else. Bethesda has yet to clarify which i7 they are recommending or what the minimum specs are.

Most people are assuming i7 920/930 but I am assuming that the person who wrote these requirements doesn't really know hardware as well as they think they do and to max the game out, a i5 will be fine.

anthony8989

Distinguished
Maybe because the writer actually does not know nor does anyone else. Bethesda has yet to clarify which i7 they are recommending or what the minimum specs are.

Most people are assuming i7 920/930 but I am assuming that the person who wrote these requirements doesn't really know hardware as well as they think they do and to max the game out, a i5 will be fine.

I disagree. More than likely, the person who wrote those requirements was told by the people who publicize this game that "i7" sounds a lot more daunting and impressive than "i5". Hence they choose to leave it at the all ambiguous "i7".

I seriously doubt that this game will require an i7 of the last 3 generations simply because no game to date does. And I doubt even more that this game will be the first considering the recommended GPU is 3 generations old and mid-level anyway.

Any one that knows computer components mildly should come to that conclusion after a minute of thought . And it's unfortunate to see tech site writers perpetuate what is essentially an advertising gimmick.

Even if it is all here say or conjecture, one sentence would have been informative to the readers I think.

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/newresponse/2128321

"The internet connection is obviously for the activation since it is a single player only game BTW"
Was there a need to state the obvious (and then a BTW as if it isn't obvious?)? I'm commenting because I know exactly what the game is about (having played all the others, including the little green men version ages ago on apple //e) and love the fact they are SINGLE only as it will make a better game. You can add multiplayer with some dlc/exp pack or something later.

I didn't mention how invasive I thought it was so why tell me? I don't care. It only matters that it is invasive AT ALL which was my point. The least invasive DRM is a simple KEY which keeps you from playing multiplayer already, no need for a gestapo wrapper of any kind for that to work. Opinions vary on steam and since I used to repair borked PC's that installed it weekly, years ago when I owned a PC business I think I'm safe saying it was bad at least at some point and it's still DRM (not saying it hasn't gotten better, but no DRM is good to me, though I can live with a multiplayer key). If your company dies in 10yrs how do I start or install my game again on a new PC etc? I know how to download a patch, and a crack (to remove the BS legal customers have to deal with due to DRM - LOL) so I have no need to have steam do it for me and pay the price that may come with that choice. I don't usually like playing with kids (usually single player only) so I have no use for steam's real advantage (multiplayer hook-ups etc). Every single steam game is cracked, so clearly it stops nobody. I fail to see how you can say it can't be sold elsewhere when a pirate can take the wrapper off before steam even posts the game at times. The cracked copy even takes out most pay to play crap if it's in the game (giving you everything).

In short if you ignore steam, a game dev will have no choice but to put it elsewhere if sales on steam suck. There is nothing that says using steamworks stops any other way of selling a game. More than half of the games on gog are also on steam etc. A front-end/wrapper isn't stuck in stone (no matter how embedded, they always have a way around it if it fails miserably-like D3 removing RMAH). There are enough good NON DRM games out there that I haven't missed games like Diablo3 one bit. Don't forget Diablo3 ripped out an entire RMAH. I'm sure they always planned it that way. Sell it at max price as gestapo controlled as possible, then get the rest later for ~$40 when you give them what they REALLY wanted. I just think they could have done better selling it with no DRM for $30 to begin with (without the thousands of vocal haters, many who now feel burned), which would have stopped all the people who have played it already on xbox360/ps3 without RMAH. I'm talking about the pirates who no longer need your PC version they WOULD have bought if you priced it a bit above torchlight 2 without DRM pissing them off, all pirates have an xbox360/ps3 no doubt (since it's so easy to pirate consoles once cracked). I won’t buy another blizz game until they are DRM free.

But hey, if you like steam keep using it. Just don't expect your opinion to sway mine ;) The largest reason people pirate is price (and most that do couldn't afford $10 per game much less $60). I buy games on special on gog that I haven't even gotten to play yet and who knows, might never get around to. Some 30% of games in people's steam accounts have never been played either. That sort of proves my point about price right? People will buy things they don't even need if they think it's WORTH the price (collectors syndrome I guess). By the same token many will pirate when they simply feel they can't afford to pay for it even if they wanted to, or worse you're just ripping them off. See torchlight vs. diablo. $20 vs. $60 (that pisses off many as it isn't 3x the fun or 3x the length right?). Anyone who didn't think $60 was worth it pirated the xbox360 copy immediately after launch. Gog sells new games like Age Of Wonders 3 now (witcher 3 soon) so again, there is enough stuff you can buy without DRM (new or older greats) that you can drop support for DRM games and it isn't too painful. Not many people can afford games right and left so there's more than enough for most to play legally with no DRM.

Another point about steam: It interferes with many mods which is a sticking point for many people. Again for most DRM free wins here too. People like you accepting steam's issues are why they are still going strong. The only way to stop DRM is to vote with your wallet no matter what. I'd kill to play diablo 3 (LOL, maybe not) but won't buy it with DRM. I can say the same about any steam game that can't be bought elsewhere. I just won't buy, as there are too many other great games coming without DRM that will get my money. That being said, steam wouldn't stop me for 2 seconds if I really wanted to play X game (gamecopyworld comes to mind). Buy game+install patch+crack. No steam. For the pirates, it's a simple step #1 replacement with PILFER game first instead ;) Steam stops nobody who really wants to play a game that is steam only, well rarely anyway.

I'll be happy to skip any STEAM only game and play Shroud of Avatar, Divinity Orignial Sin, Torment: Tides of Numenera, Project Eternity, Star Citizen, Elite Dangerous, Planetary Annihilation, Wasteland 2, Age of Wonders 3, Grim Dawn etc etc...And those are just the kind of games I personally like, there are adventure games, indie's etc that are great too that I'm ignoring here. I can't keep up with the games on gog I already own (still need to play shadowrun returns & shadowground survivor) let alone all the new stuff coming just this year or next. I'm pretty confident I can live forever without STEAM. SteamOS might get me one day, but only to help push OpenGL gaming and I'm pretty sure that will happen without me with google/valve both pushing it (both with huge user bases to do it with and both despise Microsoft/dx) and both having billions in backing to fight with.

Well my point was simple, that I would rather have Steam as a DRM than have the alternatives (i.e. a Sony one that kills OS installs).

As well, Steam has issues and has had issues but it consistently tries to make itself better unlike some other game companies out there.

As well, I have never seen a major issue with mods. Skyrim is a Steamworks game meaning you need Steam to activate it. Sure you can crack it but lets say you use the Steam version. You can use the built in Steam Workshop or, like most people, you can use the Nexus Mod Manager which is external.

The only games I have sever seen issues with mods are normally VALVes games but all of their games tend to use VAC.

Again, that is great but if the game uses Steamworks completely, meaning it needs activation through Steams servers, it will most likely not go through GOG. It might go through other distributors but still require Steam. And yes, there are levels to use of Steam. The games that are on Steam but also on GOG? They are not Steamworks titles. They just use Steam as a distribution point. You like Grim Dawn? Me too. Another game like it, the VanHelsing games, use Steamworks which means it needs Steam no matter where you buy it from.

One last note, I don't think Steam and VALVe are going anywhere unless there is some cataclysmic crap storm hits them all at once. Steam has 75 million active users, and growing, and as well VALVe produces some of the best games in their field. It would take an act of God (s) to destroy them.

Status
Not open for further replies.