Women Leaders in the Tech Industry

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Beachnative

Honorable
Jan 25, 2013
I got into a discussion with a friend over women in technology and management. Her position was women are never given the ability to run anything other than a vacuum cleaner saying they need their fair shot in the work place and in management. What say you?

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
People like you sicken me with your sick thoughts about bringing Hitler into this topic and also referring women also.I think you are a woman hater period and have some psychological problems regarding them.

ZionZA

Honorable
Nov 5, 2013

Go read up on the meaning of satire. I find it amazing that people, like you, can not see the humour in what I said and also have to be so damn sensitive about it.

The fact that I mention Hitler, is a joke/exaggeration etc. However the 2nd world war did give rise to female independence and this is a fact. Like it or not I can't change history so don't be mad at me. By that I mean the second world war and not female independence. I also never said that I had an issue with women or their independence yet somehow you conclude that I have psychological problems just because what I'm saying doesn't support them. Wow, really, that's some seriously irrational insight and maybe you should consider taking that stick out of your backside and actually going and reading up on a little bit of history. But hey. The internet is full of judgemental people hiding behind keyboards who see things that just aren't there.

Take your oversensitive dim views somewhere else please

PS.If you don't understand what I was trying to say then let me summarize it. In the IT industry women are in the minority. The reason for this TODAY is not because of men but because most women show so little interest in the field. This is not a negative statement but if you take it that way then you seem to be the one with some psychological issues etc.

The problem with satire is it doesn't always translate - even among differing versions of the same language. Betcha if I say "women can't get through the glass ceiling but they could at least polish it while they're up there" I'll be universally panned and granted a Fatwa by Germaine Greer.

Reality is, I've employed women in many capacities in businesses passim and was rewarded with reliable and good work. I recommended one to take over from me when I left my last and only real job working for someone else. She was passed over but got it nine months later when the complete idiot who did take over from me lost it.

So if your wife reads this thread your in the clear now eh?

I work with technical people (real technical people) mainly engineers and scientists.

Our two current projects are the largest in the world at present - a huge amount of offshore and onshore work, with fabrication in 12 countries.

We have a lot of female science people in enviro / H&S and a few in engineering (mechanical and process) but most of the other engineers are men.

Most of the construction engineers (civil etc) are men.

I'd say about 65 / 35 in the technical area ... a very rough guess.

The best risk engineer we have is a Chinese / Australian woman ... one of our best interface engineers is a Russian woman. I work with a Kazak engineer as well and his wife makes the meanest cookies.

Frankly if you can do the job I'll work with you ... if you can't then move on.

We do have about 50/50 in IM&T (IT) but I only know our info risk guy well and the helpdesk guys because I have moved pod a couple of times.

I leave them chocolate ... they keep my workstation humming.

:)