Women Leaders in the Tech Industry

Beachnative

Honorable
Jan 25, 2013
I got into a discussion with a friend over women in technology and management. Her position was women are never given the ability to run anything other than a vacuum cleaner saying they need their fair shot in the work place and in management. What say you?

riser

Illustrious

I've recently worked at multiple different companies where the IT directory or CFO were females.

Your friend needs to get their head out of their butt and look around. You should ask your friend's thoughts about why there are no female NFL coaches.

Beachnative

Honorable
Jan 25, 2013

Priceless!!! She is a journalism major and I said "the tech industry has many women running large companies. Ever heard of Yahoo, HP, VMware? "
Her response was "uhhh I'm a journalist.."
I interupted and said "maybe you should look at your own industry first."

You could have heard a pin drop....no answer and she left

riser

Illustrious
Not at all, she's a journalist. They're supposed to be used to tough questions and responses.

Companies I recently worked with that had high up females running IT:

A major airport
A major gasoline company (stations and refineries)
Two healthcare companies

That's all in the last month.

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
She is very narrow minded what about women like C. Fiorina that use to run HP and other leaders in the tech field who are women.

You would have been fired by any manager irrespective of gender, race or creed ... you put your unwanted guns up for sale on the company intranet ... Seriously ... did you think they wouldn't mind?

I am so glad your not my next door neighbour ... you would have shot me by mistake 20 times over by now.

:)

ZionZA

Honorable
Nov 5, 2013

I take it you know this person?

Absolutely!

There are many technological areas women surpass men and they should definitely have the fair shot in the work place!

The cave man mentality should be long gone and it's amazing to see it still exists in some minds, there are dedicated areas women shine and areas men shine, and each should be recognized for their capabilities and skills on an equal basis.

Personally I find it hard to believe we are not way past this question even being asked!

ZionZA

Honorable
Nov 5, 2013
Women should thank Hitler. If it wasn't for world war 2 women wouldn't know this independence they do today. During the 2nd World War women were needed to work in the industrial and commercial sectors due to most of the Man power, excuse the pun, off fighting the nazi's (uuh war) and what not. This is where people started to see that women could have their own careers and do jobs men do in a similar fashion. So thank you hitler :p

Anyway. I don't understand how women still complain about these things. You get international women's day and national women's day in my country. Yet nothing for men except maybe cleavage day. You get insurance companies that specifically target women at reduced rates etc etc. What exactly do people need to do? When it comes to the IT industry you don't see a lot of women going to College and University to study Computer science, programming etc. You hardly see a female technician etc. So the general idea is that its mostly a man's industry due to the lack of interest from women. Because of this lack of interest etc its rare to see women in this field. Its actually weird at times to see women in this field due to the lack of women. Yet now some of them want to complain about it and blame men? It's not the man's fault if women don't show the interest required for men to see them as equals in the field. It's hard to see anything as equal if you hardly fracking see it. When I did my Software engineering course at University there was about 10 women doing the course. Yet 140 people in total. Now these numbers keep growing but will take a few generations to get accustomed to the idea that its a career women excel in as well. And there are cases of women being in high ranked jobs in the industry.

So to summarize. Your friend is talking out her backside :p

I bet dollars to donuts she would label herself a feminist.

Beachnative

Honorable
Jan 25, 2013

Bingo!!!!