[SOLVED] Wondering if I should get a third Intake fan

DireAct

Reputable
Apr 25, 2020
Currently my build is
AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1900X
RTX 2080 TI
24 gbs RAM
I bought this computer prebuilt by Alienware/Dell it came with a 1050 TI GTX and recently upgraded to a RTX 2080 TI. I'm not much of a tech person but I was wondering if I should install a third intake fan.

My temps are at 68-70C idling for my CPU and around 40C for my GPU, when gaming with a graphically intense game my CPU will be around 80-82C and wont go higher even during long periods of gaming and my GPU sits around 70C.
With these temps my fans are supposed to adjust to the heat but my fans seem to sit at 30% fan speed for playing videos games and even idling. I'm able to heighten the speed for my fans but even boosting them to 50% fan speed it only reduced it by 5C for CPU and GPU.
So would buying a third intake fan be a better solution than just boosting my fan speed?
Also not sure if my CPU has any sort of liquid cooling but I've never had two tubes going from my CPU to my exhaust fan until this computer so not sure what these are for.

Solution
I would say that it would be a good idea to add more fans, if the case came with just two fans (and if one is a for a liquid cooling reservoir.) then it isn't getting the most optimal air flow that it can have. Just make sure not to have it too unbalanced between intake and outtake.

Both boosting fan speed and adding fans can help with keeping temps down, adding more fans can help with keeping the system quieter and having less stress on the fans from speeding them up a lot.

as for the cpu cooling option, yes from your description it sounds like a liquid cooling.

G_Sanderat

Honorable
Jan 17, 2017
I would say that it would be a good idea to add more fans, if the case came with just two fans (and if one is a for a liquid cooling reservoir.) then it isn't getting the most optimal air flow that it can have. Just make sure not to have it too unbalanced between intake and outtake.

Both boosting fan speed and adding fans can help with keeping temps down, adding more fans can help with keeping the system quieter and having less stress on the fans from speeding them up a lot.

as for the cpu cooling option, yes from your description it sounds like a liquid cooling.

Solution