[SOLVED] Wondering if I should upgrade CPU or GPU first, thoughts?

bloodbat007

Honorable
Mar 22, 2016
Currently have 4-Core i5-6402P 2.8GHz (3.4GHz Turbo) and GeForce GTX960.
Both of them roughly run at about the same percentage when gaming and I'm having trouble deciding which is limiting the other as I'm relatively new to PC tech. If it matters at all, I prefer more optimization for games like ARK and any tips about things like this going into the future are massively appreciated.

Solution
Get a new CPU and your FPS will go up a lot with that 960 card which isn't a bad card for 1080p gaming at medium to high settings giving you 60fps on most AAA titles. If you upgrade your GPU first then your CPU can't keep up your and framerate will be horrible. Good 🤞
Currently have 4-Core i5-6402P 2.8GHz (3.4GHz Turbo) and GeForce GTX960.
Both of them roughly run at about the same percentage when gaming and I'm having trouble deciding which is limiting the other as I'm relatively new to PC tech. If it matters at all, I prefer more optimization for games like ARK and any tips about things like this going into the future are massively appreciated.
If it's a choice between GPU and CPU....I'd go with the CPU upgrade because I don't think that your current CPU is going to be able to run a GPU that is significantly more powerful than what you have.

bloodbat007

Honorable
Mar 22, 2016
If it's a choice between GPU and CPU....I'd go with the CPU upgrade because I don't think that your current CPU is going to be able to run a GPU that is significantly more powerful than what you have.
It's a choice for the immediate moment, so it's only temporary but I'm trying to get the better half for now lol. And yeah, I feel like my CPU does hit 100% more often than GPU so I'm leaning towards it, but I'm just not sure if that's a good basis.

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
Get a new CPU and your FPS will go up a lot with that 960 card which isn't a bad card for 1080p gaming at medium to high settings giving you 60fps on most AAA titles. If you upgrade your GPU first then your CPU can't keep up your and framerate will be horrible. Good 🤞

Solution
Ark is tough to run on hardware like yours. It's tough on both your GPU and CPU. I strongly recommend at least GTX 1650 ti and a better CPU if you can squeeze it in. Even a Ryzen 3 3100 would be a lot better than what you have plus upgradeability will be there as well. Even then the game will still be tough to run but should run better.