Wondering if my PSU is inadequate or faulty

Kirkerino

Reputable
Nov 27, 2015
Hi!

I've many times found my way here when looking for a solution to a PC related issue, this time I'm having trouble finding a solution and under a bit of a deadline because of black friday sales.

So the issue I'm having is that since I upgraded from a GTX 660Ti to an EVGA GTX 970 SSC ACX 2.0 my simple MSI one-click CPU overclock wont hold when booting into Windows. I've also tried manually overclocking my CPU but then my PC wont even reach POST.

I've also started having an issue with my Logitech G930 headset receiver that will reconnect now and then, sometimes several times in a minute, sometimes not for a few hours, regardless of which USB port I plug it into (both USB 2 and USB 3). Also it seems regardless of current CPU and GPU load which confuses me. But I'm wondering if it's not getting enough power, it seems to work slightly better when plugged into USB 3, though it may be placebo.

I'd love to overclock both my CPU and GPU to get the most fps out of the games I play. Since I have a 144hz BenQ monitor 60 fps feels choppy and I do what I can to reach 140+ fps in the games I play.

Now there's a 50% sale (in a shop in Sweden) on the Corsair CX 750M and I'm wondering if I should buy it and hope it fixes my problems, but I really don't want to waste my money since I'm a bit short on money at the moment. Basically I can afford it if it's a solution to my problem!
I've also read that the CX series is a bit more of a cheapskate option, would it be strong enough to do some overclocking to a CPU and GPU? Nothing extreme though!

My current PSU is a Silver Power SP-S650 650W Plus Bronze and apart from a few USB gaming peripherals it's powering these components:

MSI X79A-GD45 (8D)
i7 3820
GTX 970 SSC
Samsung SSD 830 128gb
Western Digital Green 3TB HDD
Corsair Vengence DDR3 1600MHz
Corsair H55 CPU Cooler
5 various cooling fans

Sorry for the long read, all replies are very much appreciated!

Edit: Should have included, I'm running Windows 10!

Kirkerino

Reputable
Nov 27, 2015
Apparently I could order the new PSU and send it back if it didn't fix my problem, so I have ordered it and it should arrive in a day or two.

But until then I will definitely try to fix the issue and I'm going to try clearing the CMOS. I think the BIOS is latest version, I flashed my BIOS about a year ago, but this is something that I will check as well.

Will report back in a few hours. Thank you for the suggestions.