Wondering what I should upgrade on my rig

serious.esbb

Prominent
Dec 20, 2017
Hey guys first time posting on here , I recently bought a gaming rig and it plays decently 60fps on I’d say medium graphics on games like dyling light, but I want to be able to play all the 2018 games 60 fps , I’m new to this graphics cards gaming world but understand the basics, also my budget is decent willing to put a couple hundred bucks.

Thermaltake case(looks like a black box)

Motherboard:Asus M5A78L-M
CPU:Amd fx 6300 six core
GPU:GeForce gtx 750
8gb hyper x ram
Psu:300w psu(I know need to upgrade)

Monitor : Asus vg245H 1ms 75hz

Also my case is a thermal take box looking thing

I have Lepa cpu water cooler also

Basically if anyone can suggest what to do to my build to get it to be close to top performance (like just under 4K) , if you know what I mean for a decent price .

Thanks

Solution
to be honest, your system is pretty much at the end of modern gaming use (im not saying it doesn't work for gaming, of course low ~ mid settings can be pulled off with a good GPU, but at that, even a lot of higher ranked GPUs will not be able to be handled by your CPU. This is what I mean).

I would suggest that you grab yourself a GTX1060, it'll have slight bottleneck on your FX6300, but it will work great for you. You'll also have to make sure to OVERCLOCK your CPU to relieve as much bottleneck as possible, for this you may need to buy an aftermarket CPU cooler (but if you dont want itll still work, just not as great) ~ if your case has enough clearance you can use the Hyper evo 212 CPU cooler, very cheap and effective for you (you...

gussrtk

Honorable
to be honest, your system is pretty much at the end of modern gaming use (im not saying it doesn't work for gaming, of course low ~ mid settings can be pulled off with a good GPU, but at that, even a lot of higher ranked GPUs will not be able to be handled by your CPU. This is what I mean).

I would suggest that you grab yourself a GTX1060, it'll have slight bottleneck on your FX6300, but it will work great for you. You'll also have to make sure to OVERCLOCK your CPU to relieve as much bottleneck as possible, for this you may need to buy an aftermarket CPU cooler (but if you dont want itll still work, just not as great) ~ if your case has enough clearance you can use the Hyper evo 212 CPU cooler, very cheap and effective for you (you need to find out model of case, i can tell you if it'll work). You may also want to get some more ram with time

here's what your upgrade would look like (many mail in rebates), and or if next year you would upgrade CPU/mobo - you could still reuse the gtx1060 and PSU no prob

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 3GB Dual Video Card ($187.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - S12II 520W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($36.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $244.96
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-12-20 06:56 EST-0500

another choice would be just to go for cheapest upgrade, which would be GTX1050ti, it'll still be a pretty nice pairing for your fx6300 without any bottleneck, and will be lighter on your wallet. I still put a PSU in there, because 300w is cutting it close to max Wattage usage even with the 1050ti. This is actually the choice that most people would go with, cost effective with a good bump in performance ~ maybe with the little budget leftover, could even get more ram?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB GAMING X 4G Video Card ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA - BT 450W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($24.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $164.97
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-12-20 07:03 EST-0500

Solution

serious.esbb

Prominent
Dec 20, 2017

serious.esbb

Prominent
Dec 20, 2017
Hey thanks so much , my case is the thermaltake v12 micro atx (98%sure) id wanna be getting every bang for my buck with my upgrade , but quick question is the gtx 1050i better than the 1060? I’m just looking at the specs and it’s confusing me !

I just wanna maximize my gaming and I’ve never overclocked anything so id need some help with that also ,

Thanks so much this helps a lot

What cpu would u recommend?

And also I have an old comp could I use my old cpu n gpu to put together a super budget rig for my little brother just for like LoL, runescape , games like that , thanks

1. You have a budget gaming rig here with a $40 low end board & a 2012 cpu.
2. You are not overclocking by much (if at all ) on that motherboard with a watercooler because it has an inherently weak vrm setup
3. Drop your expectation of 60fps on new titles a little , set your desktop to 50htz instead & aim for a 50fps lock.
4. The 1050ti is weaker than the 1060 3gb but you'd very likely get away without replacing the psu as it draws literally 12w more than your current gtx 750.

Id still recommend a new psu & a 1060 3gb as suggested above but a 1050ti is a quick fix & some 50% more powerful than ypur current gpu.

The above parts arent meant to be condescending at all but just clear & concise , & coming from someone running an fx6300 with a gtx 970.

& the fx 6300 is absolutely capable of a 50-60fps lock on current titles at high settings paired with the right gpu , a 1060 3gb is about as far as I'd go on the ladder though.

serious.esbb

Prominent
Dec 20, 2017
@matt

Thanks a lot yeah I bought this rig about a month ago for 300CAD ! I’m now starting to think it wasn’t worth it but I’m definitely gonna upgrade ,

If I drop my htz to 50 will it effect graphics ? My monitor is 75hertz or whatever , thanks I’m definitely gonna get the 1060 and overclock , and then do a mobo/cpu upgrade whenever there’s a good deal , Willing to now if there is !!

AAEAAQAAAAAAAAU8AAAAJGEwMTgxMDRkLTFhMjEtNGE1ZS04Y2ZkLTc1MDQ4NDA3MTQwNA.jpg

That's your 6300, people will spout on about how crap & old it is but the fact is it still performs for gaming.
Maybe not at 100htz+ (or even 75htz on new titles) but it will offer perfectly acceptable gaming nonetheless.

What ypu do depends on how much you want to spend , how long you expect it to last , & what graphics settings you expect.

The 1050ti will do you between medium & high on new titles pretty much locked at 50fps, itll probably do that for the next 12 months until you have to drop to medium at the max.
Expect an extra year out of a 1060 3gb but you will be dropping money on a new psu too to run it

Now youve mentioned canada if that $200 budget is CAD then realistically youre looking at a 1050ti.

Btw - if you paid $300 cad for that whole system with case , hard drive ,gpu,cpu,ram lepa cooler etc then you certainly didn't get ripped off by any account.

50htz ?? Once you've run it for a couple of days you'll notice no difference graphically - trust me on this , there will be less fps drops, lower cpu & gpu temps & games are perfectly playable at a locked 50fps.

gussrtk

Honorable
yeah.. no freesync with RX560, besides extra money on freesync monitor could go elsewhere.

No, the motherboard Asus M5A78L-M is not a favorite of the overclockers (it is very much on lower budget side), but that doesn't mean that 0 results can be reached. Also, big bit of missing info from the motherboard features is "TURBO MODE", it would appear to have none. So this FX6300 @3.5Ghz with pontential to TURBO to 4.1Ghz, will always stay at 3.5Ghz, because the motherboard does not support that feature of the CPU. There are many many many youtube/tom's hardware posts and guides on how to OC on this particular board. A down to earth 4.0Ghz OC would be completely achievable and would boost the overall performance of your PC.

If it were me, I would do as I first suggested. GTX1060 with PSU as a minimum upgrade, this will be real eye candy for you. If you do want to squeeze more FPS out of it, get a CPU cooler and mess around a little, get some more out of that CPU. either case(105ti or 1060), I would still recommend a PSU upgrade.

===========================================================

as mentioned before.. if you are asking for 200$ CAD.... let us know. At that point, I would even recommend a used GPU.... (something like gtx780)

===========================================================

last thing.. wow that case haha... that's a pretty cool setup. a CPU cooler should fit no prob