[SOLVED] wondering what m.2 i should get

twitchycollins

Reputable
Nov 24, 2018
need to upgrade storage and thinking of going m.2 but not sure which to get.
System specs:
Ryzen 5 3600
MSI mpg b550 gaming plus
XFX RX 5500xt 8gb
4*8gb PNY xlr8 3200mhz ram
1 TB SanDisk ultra 3D

Solution
For just games, there's little difference between Sata and NVMe. For toting around in windows, boot times and some map loading times etc, there is a somewhat larger difference between Sata and NVMe. If you consider cutting boot times from 23 second Sata boot avg down to 15 seconds or so.

Honestly I'd be looking at Adata Sx8200 Pro, Samsung 860 evo or better, Crucial P1 or P2 in whatever size you think is appropriate for storage of games that'll reach upto 100Gb each possibly.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
On that board M2_1 supports upto Gen4 pcie or Sata3, M2_2 supports Gen3 pcie only.

So what you want will be decided by what you want. With a single ssd, you can go cheaper with a Sata or nvme Gen3 or Gen4, but if dual ssd, one will be Gen3 NVMe by default.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
For just games, there's little difference between Sata and NVMe. For toting around in windows, boot times and some map loading times etc, there is a somewhat larger difference between Sata and NVMe. If you consider cutting boot times from 23 second Sata boot avg down to 15 seconds or so.

Honestly I'd be looking at Adata Sx8200 Pro, Samsung 860 evo or better, Crucial P1 or P2 in whatever size you think is appropriate for storage of games that'll reach upto 100Gb each possibly.

Reactions: twitchycollins
Solution