Won't boot unless clear CMOS every time, not battery

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ArcherA3

Reputable
Mar 26, 2015
I had a similar problem which I have solved. It turned out to be a weak connection at what I call a ribbon wire connection gate leading from the power on/off button. The little black flap was not pressing down hard enough on the contact points. The mystery was that when I cleared the cmos by removing the disc shaped MB wafer battery, and then reassembled the PC, it would boot normally. Once I shut it down, it would not reboot. You would think it was a static charge build up, or bios/cmos problem, but in reality, just a weak connection. Hope this helps someone out there, cuz it drove me crazy :)

tuned2e

Reputable
Jan 15, 2015
TL;DR - sorry to necro even if solved - am doing so to help others in need. Try replacing power/reset buttons connected your MOBO. Worked for me after trying all methods. See below

I don't mean to necro but I had a very similar issue with my new rig and I tried everything people suggested here and otherwise (short of buying a new MOBO) but it didn't help. I just found the problem and thought I might add my 2 cents in such case that people are still finding this thread and have this issue.

Backstory: Bought an older (2011) TYAN server (S7012) with 2x Xeon 5650's and a boatload of ram for audio production purposes and couldn't post, couldn't even get system fans (even though everything went fine when I had the seller demo it for me 1 hour prior to purchase). Ended up replacing PSU, but it didn't help; Tried a PSU tester but oddly enough I think the one I bought may be inaccurate/broken since I followed the instructions verbatim and got an "L.L" reading on both the original PSU as well as my new one (on the main 24pin connector - the one I suspected was at fault on the old PSU) - meaning not sufficient voltage from my PSU to MOBO....It was a brand new PSU (compatible with my MOBO) and it had rave reviews on Amazon and Newegg and the amazon facility it shipped form was 16 miles away from me (meaning I didn't suspect shipping damage) so I refused to believe the PSU was the issue.... Then I read up on the topic and tried jumping CMOS pin/replacing battery. PC would actually boot after clearing CMOS pin and playing around with the power button in specific intervals so I went from there. -Side bar, I was super stoked at this point after 2 months of dicking around...I actually got the thing to boot.

PC would run flawless once booted and was able to install windows 7 ult on an SSD. I could restart (in order to install drivers and software) without issue but when I went to "shut off" or turn off the PSU or unplug it, on the next boot I'd have the same issue; no bios, no fans, no post. I couldnt get any activity even when switching on the PSU (sometimes just switching on the PSU would cause system fans to engage, even without the PC booting). I'd have to clear CMOS pin (even with a new CMOS battery) in order to boot....Eventually, after screwing around with everything I could think of...I ended up ripping some power and reset buttons (with the associated wires of course) from an old PC and put them on the proper pins on my new rig.....SUCCESS!!! I have just now got it working (for about a week). I have unplugged PSU from wall socket/left it in OFF power position for several hours/vice versa and can't find a way to make it NOT work (the new power/reset switches were absolutely the fix). Now all I have to do is hit the (rigged up because it is a server rack and I have more stuff to add before it is actually usable) power button that I installed and it boots flawlessly.

I hope anyone experiencing this weird issue is able to try this...You never know what might be the cause of some misc issue and I definitely didn't even consider a power button issue....But this definitely worked for me!

JangoXtreme

Reputable
Jul 3, 2015
Guys i had the same problem....had to reset my cmos all the time.
I tried everything jumper method,utility uninstallation etc.
But the solution was very simple.
It was my GPU which was the troublemaker.I removed it and everything was back to normal!!
Lol:):)

CaptainSriracha

Reputable
Jul 8, 2015

I am having a similar issue. PC powers on, case and fans work, but no video until i reset. I am starting to believe it is my refurbished gtx 980 classified that is causing all the problems. What video card were you using?

ThreeDeeNut

Reputable
Aug 21, 2015
I have the same issue and restart my computer only when necessary. Rebooting is a freaking nightmare. 300$ top of the line computer and i cant get a reliable restart... ever. So annoyed. Likely this will be my LAST ROG board. Had so much luck with my Rampage 2 I went full asus this time around. Asus GPU, Mobo, Xonar audio card, the works. But honestly this problem is infuriating and like you i just dont shut my computer off and fear windows updates requiring restarts.

davidpsr

Reputable
Sep 23, 2015
I had the exact same problem. Turn on, started to POST, then black screen and totally unresponsive keyboard/mouse.

As it turns out, the System boot disk was GPT formatted, while the UEFI/BIOS somehow got changed to MBR. I had to reset the UEFI/BIOS to change the format of the boot drive to UEFI, but since the keyboard was nonresponsive, I had to reset the UEFI/BIOS, (disconnected the Power cable and removed the CMOS battery). This is very important: If the power cable is left plugged in, enough current leaks to the CMOS to maintain its current setting, so removing the battery does not reset it. I changed the battery even though the 'old' one was only a couple of months old. So far, I've rebooted and powered completely down and restarted with no problem.

I assumed that since the computer would not finish POST that it excluded the hard drive(s) as the culprit. My takeaway from this is that improper settings in the BIOS can and will keep the system from completing POST, since POST interrogates all of the storage peripherals on the system before it is completed. I assume that when it comes to a peripheral that it can't read, it just hangs there, or perhaps is doing something in the background that the user is unaware of, since all he has is a blank screen and an unresponsive keyboard. A computer with CMOS set for MBR cannot read a GPT disk and certainly can't boot from it. And it also keeps the POST from completing. At least it does on my ASUS CM6870 desktop.

cinghu

Reputable
Sep 24, 2015
I think that you have a problem with some setting in your BIOS and that you do not have a hardware fault. As to which setting it is I have no idea but I would start by trying different memory settings.

Algirdas

Reputable
Jan 3, 2016
Can I ask?
I have problem like this I just change bios setings to default now I got that black screen and gotnothing. So I need remone CMOS batery for aproximaly 10seconds put it back and the computer will turn on normaly??

themightysven5000

Reputable
Jan 14, 2016
Experienced the same issues on a Gigabyte H87M-HD3 that hadn't been used in about a year. I pulled it off the shelf and installed a i5 4570, 1x8g Crucial RAM, and Samsung 830ssd. Was experiencing exactly the same issue where I'd have to clear CMOS with each boot and then choose default settings on UEFI to get to OS even after replacing the CMOS battery thinking that was the obvious issue.

Solution: My issue was related to the improper installation of the LED and PWR/Reset switches from the case to the mobo when I had a fever. It turns out I had them reverse polarity (upside down). Reseated them after flipping the connections and all issues went away. What helped me the most was pulling a speaker from an old case and listening to the error beeps. The beeps were continuous which indicated a Memory error, but the memory tested ok under MemTest and in other systems. Hope this helps someone out.

Laurent_6

Commendable
Sep 14, 2016
If anyone is experiencing an issue like this i suggest you go to your motherboard manufacture website and find the bios update and re-flash. It worked for me and i was very happy when i fixed and didnt have to buy a new one:)

robbosplace

Commendable
Sep 19, 2016
Having the exact same issue, tried all hardware with a spare PC and nothing fixed it.
clear CMOS every time i start and runs better than ever until a reboot, then just a black screen :p

Going to try everything i find here

Laurent_6
September 14, 2016 5:21:14 AM
If anyone is experiencing an issue like this i suggest you go to your motherboard manufacture website and find the bios update and re-flash. It worked for me and i was very happy when i fixed and didnt have to buy a new one:)

Going to try this now :)

Mossflower

Commendable
Sep 22, 2016
BINGO!!!!

Reset has two grounds on both sides of the reset button.

Had to take a better look but I had my reset 1 pin to far over.

Now that everything is in the right set, PC turns on and restarts no problem.

thank you!!!!!

robbosplace

Commendable
Sep 19, 2016

Mine is now fixed, thanks M8 :)

DaKusk

Prominent
Jun 27, 2017
I encountered the second problem when I downloaded MSI afterburner(underclocked 115celcius gpu, left second gpu untouched) it was still too hot afterwards so I just removed it. When I tried to boot I couldn't unless I cleared CMOS Everytime. LONG story short I uninstalled msi afterburner and was able to boot normally afterwards.

Oct 27, 2018
I just installed 2 new sticks of RAM and in an attempt to possibly get a tiny bit of extra performance from my i5-4670K cpu, I used the ASUS Thermal Radar to possibly over clock it a tiny little bit which was kinda stupid in hindsight. What ended up happening is that I went from expecting a re-boot from a possible failed attempt to overclock to where it went completely dead. The only way to get it started back up was to hit the CMOS re-set button on the mobo (Asus Sabertooth z-87) and force Windows to boot off the hd.

After doing some digging I found this thread and what ended up fixing the problem was to flash the BIOS from a USB stick and things seem to be back in working order. You'd think a software based utility like that would have some sort of safety measures to keep from doing that kind of damage to a system. I literally turned the cpu running voltage from 1.2v to 1.21v and the multiplier from 36x to 40x and it completely bricked. No reboot, no posting, just power on, fans running and nothing else.

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who posted tips because it's resources like this that helps dummies like me out of (possibly) wasting a lot of money on needlessly buying new hardware when the fix can be quite easily done.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS