Woodworking enthusiasts thread

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
I know right. I used to do the pine derby stuff back in my Cub scout days and my dad was really good with all that and teaching me how to do it because he was a union carpenter, but even so, a lot of it was simply "I want it to look like this" with no regard for actual performance. Despite that though I used to do quite well and for sure much of that had to do with him disregarding my preferences and doing what needed to be done to make the car aerodynamic while still having enough weight to build a lot of momentum. Was always fun anyhow. I wish I could do that stuff with my son these days, but didn't work out that way.

USAFRet

Titan
Back in my Cub Scout days, I won the Design award for my car.

Why?
Because it was the only one that lasted through the semi finals, that was obviously done by a kid.
Rather than offloaded to Dads design dept at Kodak and General Dynamics.

Yeah, I agree. And my dad would help me out by not allowing me to make any stupid design mistakes, but I had to do it all myself. Shaving, sanding, leading, painting, everything. Which is a good thing because otherwise it would not have been a thing that left a serious imprint over the years from way back then. I won some awards too. I might even be able to find some pictures. I'll look. LOL.

That's awesome. Funny thing is, I have all kinds of woodworking tools and equipment, and it seems like you are much better at it than I am. I did make this a while back for my nephew and neice, but it's nowhere on the level of that creation. Just a beanbag toss game. It does get used just about every holiday though since it's something they can do outside in the yard. Aaaaand, using insert media seems to be the only way I can add images now, which needs to get fixed. I hope they fix this come Monday when they are back in the office.

USAFRet

Titan
As with most of my creations, it is a 'one off prototype'.
If I was doing a second, I'd do it differently.

The 42 (84) holes, even with just 5mm plywood, killed the 4" hole saw. So much so that 2/3 the way through, I almost went to the store to buy another.
"screw it...power through!"

I haven't replaced a hole saw bit in many years. For a few bucks you can get a chain saw file or kit (Kit comes with a couple different sized tiny round files) and easily re-sharpen them. You just need a vise to hold the hole saw bit and arbor. You can also do it with a grinder with a cutoff wheel but that is a bit less, exacting. You won't get as many re-sharpenings out of each holesaw bit that way. Much cheaper than replacing bits especially the large ones which are not cheap if you buy decent ones.

There are quite a few Youtube videos on sharpening them.

USAFRet

Titan
I haven't replaced a hole saw bit in many years. For a few bucks you can get a chain saw file or kit (Kit comes with a couple different sized tiny round files) and easily re-sharpen them. You just need a vise to hold the hole saw bit and arbor. You can also do it with a grinder with a cutoff wheel but that is a bit less, exacting. You won't get as many re-sharpenings out of each holesaw bit that way. Much cheaper than replacing bits especially the large ones which are not cheap if you buy decent ones.

There are quite a few Youtube videos on sharpening them.
This was a very cheap set, bought specifically for this use.

Wasn't expecting great value. The 4" is toast.