Wooting One Analog Mechanical Keyboard Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh it's finally out, nice! I really want one but my wallet is dead from starvation already. Frankly i'm surprised it took this long for someone to develop an analog keyboard. It was something I wanted from my earliest PC gaming days, having analog input on the keys would have been very useful for many games.

Mansen

Commendable
Nov 8, 2016
I'm glad you didn't give them too much criticism over the software considering the potentially game changing features. At least things like macros and light effects can be patched in later. Much harder to add hardware features for existing boards. :)

nimbulan

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2016
While it sounds interesting, I feel like the extremely narrow 2.5mm of analog range will be too difficult to control precisely in the heat of the moment and will ultimately end up not being terribly useful. It's difficult enough on gamepads which have approximately twice as much range on the thumbsticks. It's not often that analog control actually gets used even on gamepads outside of driving and flying games anyway.

MrPleasantEXE

Prominent
Jul 17, 2017
Great review however as a BETA tester i wanna point some things out...

The issue with the LEDs is most likely due to ISO being loaded on a ANSI keyboard (the on you received) as they have different amount of keys, to load ANSI for all LEDS you need to go to profile manager and load it, if you want to import my profile go ahead =D e04967ea-671f-6558-f4bc-19792281e905

As for the wobble issue, i personally don't see this unless i go to physically wobble them, for me its not a huge issue.

As for the software, you are using the alpha version which is different from the final version, or well will be, the version you have should have a feature similar to macro's.

Overall i love the review however software wise, the final version will be different.

-MrPleasant

scolaner

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014

Yeah, that is a limiting factor. Currently, it's a limitation baked into the Flaretech switch. I need to do a deep dive on the structure of the other optical switches on the market and see if any of those would avoid that problem.

Also, I'd been thinking (but neglected to mention in the review) that I think a 5mm travel would work better.

But I'm withholding some judgment on that until I spend even more time with it. You get used to the analog feel. How much you can "get used" to that small range, I don't know yet. I'm sure some of those uber talented gamers out there would get it really fast. I'm old, slow, and inaccurate. ;)

nostalgion

Prominent
Jun 29, 2017
ive been wondering if this type of technology existed. i knew it could be done, and i knew i wanted it, and now. i cant afford it. but a massive praise to wooting for creating a dream, and making it reality, evolved gaming. a blacksmith is only as good as his tools, and his tools just got so much better.

scolaner

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014

Thanks for the profile info! It happened with the original firmware I had, and it persisted in the latest update Wooting pushed out (which I just got a bit ago). I'll be working through the ISO/ANSI issue shortly, though.

scolaner

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014

Ironically, really nice keyboards that don't have any lighting are typically kind of pricey. :)

LoneTech

Prominent
Jul 18, 2017
Typo in the specifications: 1ms is 1kHz, not 1000MHz. Remove the M. Also a structural nitpick, you reference the wobbly feel before the section that is referenced.

Personally I have no use for the backlighting, but it's like when the food I buy happens to be lactose free: it broadens the customer base, which allows larger volume, and therefore better pricing. I needed to be picky in the first place as I can't eat gluten. It's a similar story with getting analog keyboards; I'll put up with the backlighting (which can be switched off) and lack of numeric keypad, for now.

Of course, since the analog capability doesn't rate as a need, the price may outweigh it for you. But early adopters are needed too, or companies will simply declare the initiative a failure rather than develop an enticing product. That way leads to stagnant companies that specialize in price gouging and cost savings rather than functionality (typically marketing over engineering).

Personally I also feel Wooting have done the right thing in getting the hardware out quickly, compared to software and firmware features. Since they're first to market, compare it to devkit generation hardware. By polishing the hardware, they've tried hard to avoid giving early adopters and devs an inferior product since the firmware and software can be updated, and delivering it means more people can work on the latter (such as porting to other OSes and implementing native support in games). Expect tools like FreePIE and AutoHotkey to start filling in the gaps.

A fully analog wireless Dactyl or King's Assembly just isn't available in the market yet.

scolaner

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014

Yep. An old version of the firmware loaded up the wrong layout, and subsequent updates didn't change it. But I was able to completely wipe and reload the keyboard with the correct layout, and now it's all good. So, confirming: No LED issue, it was just due to alpha firmware.

fry178

Reputable
Dec 14, 2015
Anyone complaining about the price of something, is just whining.
No one "forces you" (at gunpoint) to buy it.

Nothing on this or any other computer/gamer/hardware site is needed to live to see 100y.

It's something you want, and you get it if your budget allows for it, or not if, it doesn't.

Rexer

Distinguished
? Not quite sure what big benefits an analog keyboard will be. I play alot of 1st person shooter games and I usually lose ground to the lowest ping. I like the low, keyboards such as the Logit Tech K360 because it's stroke is shorter and seems more 'hair trigger'. Cheap, wireless. About 20 bucks on sale. Heh, when it breaks, I throw it away and buy another. Last maybe 2 years. I'm more concerned about the mouse. Lol. It's tough beating a gamer who's wired into his favorite mouse.

Nov 3, 2016

no. absolutely not at all. people have the right to complain about problems of products, even price and that is a right upheld by consumers. demanding price reduction so that more can buy it is very justified and also, longevity is very big issue, refer to the computer hardware manufacturing protocols utilized by the military of the nations.

bentremblay

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2012
#Lateral
I have to wonder how many / how few folk know what it's like to use a good mechanical keyboard.
How hooked am I on that design? I always use what I'm using now ... IBM mechanical from 1998.
For touch typing? mechanical has to be gold standard.
^5

bentremblay

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2012
re: Analog
Wow. I mean ... wow!
"With a normal keyboard, your character is either stock still (no input) or running (press W). With analog input, though, when you press W, the character would creep slowly, then walk, then jog, then sprint, depending on how far down you press the switch."

Rexer

Distinguished

Really:) Heh, heh. Now that's interesting. Adding a creepy dimension sounds amusing.
In the electronics world, some things are better left analog. I use to enjoy listening to analog and tube stereo. In my opinion, in a cranky hectic world it's hard to beat high end tube amps with poly cones. It's great to sweeten a long day of big city chatter.
You can't get that with complete solid state and digital. With digital, everything is punctual, sharp and accurrate. No throttle. Not that it's bad, it's tiring after a day.. It's like listening to a crow after a day with clucking chickens.

bentremblay

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2012
How odd that you think it just creepy / interesting / amusing.

W means "forward". You're happy to have it binary? move forward or !move forward? (Some of us can slew, sometimes.)
What part of slow / not so slow / quick / faster / fast is creepy? and merely amusing?
For sure some, yes. "Left" analog, or "Made analog". I don't recall another keyboard that has analog key function.
Anyhow: so you should celebrate this! They make an analog keyboard and you call it weird/amusing. Sorry ... I'm a plug. A grunt. I just experienced #SyncLoss.

That's like talking about the best scuba gear to use while watching NBA finals.
#CategoryError

Now see, I can understand that! (Broadcast tech; telco; band sound; studio recording ... #PsychoAcoustics)
What you say is rich. BUT ... it's almost as though you compulsively brought up tube amps. (I built a Fender Bassman from parts. That was 1968. My best amp was late 1970s. 60W RMS ... VFETs.)

I hope you find a really social / functioning audiophile forum. (So few sane forums around.) There you might really "spread your wings" on this topic.

#Lateral - Know what? laterally from what you brought up? since we're talking subjective / perception and not mechanical effect ... the whole FPS thing. My answer has always been: "If you see difference 60 frames and 86 frames, then fine go right ahead. But you can't declaring universal laws."

cheers

#Lateral - Weird. The "Preview" button disappeared after I corrected typo.
RFE: Tom's: That we have to hit Close in order to get Preview is not obvious. Not even cognitively intuitive.
If someone wants to Preview (which in my book speaks of good intention) then the system should allow. Enable. Encourage. Give a bronze star ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.