Word xp how to rename with a filename extension

tassieangell

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2011
I cant rename photos and digital downloads that have numbers - just get the filname extension message saying I may lose files (have tried it and I do lose them!) Why did Microsoft change the system that worked perfectly well. Grrrrrrrrr. How can we overcome this in plain English (query brought up all computer lingo, binary numbers etc FAR FAR beyond this old baby boomer!
Any help would be great.
Julie

ryandsouza

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2009
are you changing the file extensions by any chance??
you could hide the extensions and then try renaming files....

Tools>folder options>view> check "hide extensions for known file types"

hope this helps!!

^ check this. The did not change any systems, Windows has had file expentions for many years. You are just not used to seeing them probably.

Post a sample name you are trying to change exactly as you see it on your screen, then change it, and post exactly what you changed it to that causes you to "lose files". You won't actually lose files when you rename them, but if you change the file extention Windows will no longer know how to open then when you double-click on the file. A bit like renaming a street, you are told to go to Smith St., but it was renamed to Smythe Ave. You get to where the Smith sign was and are all confused, but it's the same street with the same houses on it.