Worlds dumbest question

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
I see this has strayed waaaaaaaay off your question... The fans should force air (blow) onto the heatsinks...

To understand why, put your hand about an inch from your mouth and suck air in... feel much? Now blow air out... now you know why.

--->It ain't better if it don't work<---

error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
both of you should record the sound and compare :wink: , ehehehe

<b>people are only idiots when they don't realize - when they do it just gets funnier, like a dog chasing its own tail, or like george bush's public address(es)</b>

Stoochie

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2001
"To understand why, put your hand about an inch from your mouth and suck air in... feel much? Now blow air out... now you know why."

Hmm interesting analogy. Try making one hand into a tube, and then press the other against it and then draw air in, note how the air in your tubed hand gets really cool? now blow, notice how hot air comes out and warms both of your hands?

moral of this analogy? absolutely none. Heatsinks and your mouth are completely different things and should not be compared to fans.

Saphire 9700pro (400gpu/333mem)
Asus A7N8X ND + XP 2700(192fsb x 12 @ 1.775v)
Corsair PC 3500 512 @ 5-3-3-2T :(
Audigy 2, WD-SE 80GIG

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
"Hmm interesting analogy. Try making one hand into a tube, and then press the other against it and then draw air in, note how the air in your tubed hand gets really cool? now blow, notice how hot air comes out and warms both of your hands?"

That's because you are blowing 90 degree air on them. (i.e. nearly at body temperature)

Try the same experiment with a fan... put your hand about a couple of inches from the suction side of the fan... feel much? Now put your hand on the blower side of the fan... guess what... lots and lots of cool air.

Stoochie

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2001
again you are neglecting the importance of the shrowd as the one used in the alpha heatsink, so putting a hand behind a fan would accomplish nothing as there is insuficent directional flow. Also the shrowd is where an under-pressure develops from the fan and draws a stream of air to equalise it.......

If i were to hire you to design me a heatsink and fan combo i would fire you immediatelly after seeing you standing with your hand in a fan. Or blowing on your fingers for that matter. Its not quite the same you know.

Audigy 2, WD-SE 80GIG

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
Yet, strangely, I've designed cooling systems for industrial robotics.

Go figger.

svol

Champion
Uhm to be honest that shroud Alpha uses is a POS. It has small holes in the corners and it is much to short to be effective in a sucking setup. In a blowing setup they are slightly more effective because they help to bundle the air when it comes out of the fan... but again they should be longer.

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dims when I turn it on :eek:

Stoochie

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2001
haha this is an old thread but id like to add a link that should silence anyone who thinks that blowing heatsink designs are inherently better:

http://www.dansdata.com/coolercomp.htm

Its the very first heatsink to be reviewed on the site
here is an excerpt from the review:

"...Topped with a quite ferocious Delta AFB0612EH, which has a run power of five-odd watts, the 3A Cooler sink did well; 0.54°C/W. Unusually, this heat sink is happier with its fan sucking air up through it, rather than blowing air down onto it; with the fan turned around, the cooler clocked an even better 0.52°C/W. I used the same fan orientation for the subsequent tests."

hmm note the big, efficient shroud that i rave about so much.

Audigy 2, WD-SE 80GIG

Status
Not open for further replies.