[SOLVED] Worse performance after upgrading RAM

Oct 20, 2020
I upgraded my ram from 4gb to 8gb and I also have 2gb graphic card but with 4 gb ram I used to get 20 fps and after the upgrade I get 10 fps and the input lag is now more worse and takes 1 second from moving the mouse to the cursor moving on screen but this happens in games only normal windows are working smooth. My specs are i3-3217u , AMD 8670m 2gb , 8gb (2*4gb). I understand it is not meant for gaming but I used to get solid 20 fps in GTA 5 but now it is 10 and the input lag (only in games ) is almost doubled. I bought the same matching frequency ram. Any fix ?

Solution
Spd tab in Cpuz just shows frequency and timing profiles for the particular ram. Memory tab shows what they both would have been running at together. Rank isn't the same as dual channel if you thought this. Rank, single/dual means either chips on one side of the memory stick or both. Both are single rank. Memory tab will say if running in single or dual under the channels field.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
How does your system perform without the new stick?

Can you run an instance of userbench and link to results please. Also check with Coretemp on frequency and temps, just incase the heatsink wasn't dislodged while working on your comp.

Oct 20, 2020
I upgraded the ram sticks on a laptop so there are zero chances of the heatsink being dislodged.
My system has not improved as much as in the reviews of that products where a few users which had the same model of laptop as mine but still it has increased a very little almost neligible but the performance in games has been hit hard and the input lag in way too much. Is this possible that the new ram is just a cheap fake of 1/2 gb and claims to be 4gb as I have not seen any performance increase ( even though it was branded by corsair and my task manager + pc properties also tell it is 8 gb)

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Fair enough but does the laptop's performance return to normal without the extra 4gb stick? I mean, have you actually done this to troubleshoot?

If ram was faulty then the laptop would be unstable and bsod. 8gb ram should have increased performance quite a bit, at least same and not less. Something else is going on, userbench can be used to diagnose other possible problems. Just wanted to have a look and see if anything pops out at me.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2020
Thanks I will try that tomorrow. Thanks for the idea anyways and for being helpful. Do I have to take the old one out and then see how the new one performs without the older one or vice-versa ? and also can you suggest a userbench to share the results with you

Oct 20, 2020
Titan , hotaru.hino thanks a lot as you two are very experienced people but yet helped me. By tomorrow I will send all the needed benchmarks and cpu-z screenshots as it is very late night in India right now

Hello I think I found the culprit here although I am not sure that it affects the performance . The new ram has less cas latency ( but lesser is better ) anyways pls take these two screenshot of cpuz and pls suggest what should i do next old ram -(https://prnt.sc/v38dic) new ram- (https://prnt.sc/v38dy5). do I have to buy the exact same ram as the older one ?
That's likely what's screwing up your performance. The memory controller is likely running in single channel and the higher latency one is going to cause hiccups.

So you can either get RAM that matches the RAM you already have, or return the new RAM and get a 2x4GB kit.

Reactions: StephanieHellya
Oct 20, 2020
That's likely what's screwing up your performance. The memory controller is likely running in single channel and the higher latency one is going to cause hiccups.

So you can either get RAM that matches the RAM you already have, or return the new RAM and get a 2x4GB kit.
Thanks a lot just removed my ram and asked for a refund...... will there be a performance boost if I order the same model of ram ?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Spd tab in Cpuz just shows frequency and timing profiles for the particular ram. Memory tab shows what they both would have been running at together. Rank isn't the same as dual channel if you thought this. Rank, single/dual means either chips on one side of the memory stick or both. Both are single rank. Memory tab will say if running in single or dual under the channels field.

Solution