Question Worth to upgrade? and what to upgrade

Sep 19, 2020
I'm using a 144hz monitor and playing all kinds of games and I feel like I don't get enough fps. Im thinking of upgrading my pc this is my specs:
16gb ddr4 ram (I think they are 3200mhz small chance they are 2400mhz)
1060 6gb
1Tb HDD
120gb SSD
650W psu
What do you think is most important of upgrading my guess is buying new ssd or even m2 ssd also new graphic card and new ram.

Last edited:
Yes, I would agree with upgrading the GPU first. Make sure you have a PSU strong enough first. As for the RAM speed, if you think you have 3200, but it is only reading 2400, check the BIOS to see if you have the RAM speed locked, or set correctly. How you do this will be different by different motherboards.

Sep 19, 2020
Yes, I would agree with upgrading the GPU first. Make sure you have a PSU strong enough first. As for the RAM speed, if you think you have 3200, but it is only reading 2400, check the BIOS to see if you have the RAM speed locked, or set correctly. How you do this will be different by different motherboards.
I was thinking of buying a 3070 or maybe one of the new upcoming AMD cards that will be in the same price class as a 3070. My question is would my cpu bottleneck a ton? and can I buy the gpu first and wait until I have enough money to get a cpu?

As for the RAM speed, if you think you have 3200, but it is only reading 2400, check the BIOS to see if you have the RAM speed locked, or set correctly.
If OP doesn't have a Z series mobo, the RAM will only run at 2666MHz, even if you have a kit that's rated for faster speeds. Likewise, only K-series CPUs can be OCd, and only on Z-series mobos. But the OPs stated 3.9GHz "overclock" is really just the stock speed of that CPU.

What resolution is your monitor?

Yes, the GTX1060 is the weak link here regardless.

Last edited:
If OP doesn't have a Z series mobo, the RAM will only run at 2666MHz, even if you have a kit that's rated for faster speeds. Likewise, only K-series CPUs can be OCd, and only on Z-series mobos. But the OPs stated 3.9GHz "overclock" is really just the stock speed of that CPU.

I was under the impression that the locked RAM clocks for Intel CPUs were only locked starting with the 10000 series CPUs, and that you would still be able to change the clock speeds for RAM with older Intel CPUs, like this 8000 series he has.

I was under the impression that the locked RAM clocks for Intel CPUs were only locked starting with the 10000 series CPUs, and that you would still be able to change the clock speeds for RAM with older Intel CPUs, like this 8000 series he has.
Going back to SandyBridge from 2011, the Intel 60 series chipset was released and the Z series was introduced. The 60 series was the last to have more than one chipset able to overclock (P67, Z68). Since IvyBridge on the 70 series chipset released in 2012, the only Intel motherboards capable of memory or CPU overclocking are the Z series motherboards.

Reactions: tennis2
Going back to SandyBridge from 2011, the Intel 60 series chipset was released and the Z series was introduced. The 60 series was the last to have more than one chipset able to overclock (P67, Z68). Since IvyBridge on the 70 series chipset released in 2012, the only Intel motherboards capable of memory or CPU overclocking are the Z series motherboards.
I knew that was true for the CPU clocks, but not RAM. Interesting. I remember recently seeing people talking about something new Intel had locked, but I dont know what it was then, if not RAM speed.

Sep 19, 2020

I am currently using a 144hz 1920x1080 but thinking of buying a 2k 144hz monitor