[SOLVED] Worth upgrading from a i5 4690K to AMD Ryzen 5 3600?

Mr Drummer

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2015
Hi, i recently and unexpectedly got my hands on a "AMD Ryzen 5 3600" and a "GTX 980 Ti" and thought i might aswell upgrade my PC from 2015. The cpu i have today is a "Intel i5 4690K" and i just would like to know how big of a difference the "Ryzen 5 3600" will make? I'm a music- and drums teacher by trade and due to the pandemic i work from home at the moment, consisting of alot of video editing, where my current PC have worked fine enough. I've also looked at cheap but still reliable motherboards and found the "MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX", My second question is would that be a good combo toghether with the mentioned cpu? If you would like to know my current setup i'll try and post it as my signature.

Solution
No, CPU frequency has nothing to do with RAM speed.

I would get 3200MHz RAM because of two main reasons:
  1. With 3200 you have bigger chance that your RAM will run stable
  2. 3200 RAM is quite cheaper than 3600
-and in everyday work, you would not notice the speed difference anyway. Saying that, you wouldn't notice difference between 2666 and 3200 Mhz either. For average user, RAM speed just doesn't have much impact on PC overall performance.
In my eyes, you should expect big difference going from 4core/4thread to 6core/12thread CPU. Also MSI B450 Tomahawk Max should be more than good enough for this CPU -in case you would need to upgrade to even faster CPU in future.
Just don't forget to buy enough RAM (there's never too much for video editing).

Mr Drummer

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2015
In my eyes, you should expect big difference going from 4core/4thread to 6core/12thread CPU. Also MSI B450 Tomahawk Max should be more than good enough for this CPU -in case you would need to upgrade to even faster CPU in future.
Just don't forget to buy enough RAM (there's never too much for video editing).

Ok, thank you for taking the time.,I somewhat, know my way around a Asus bios but this is the first time i go for something other than that brand. Would you say the Tomahawk Max is the best in this pricerange or are their other brands and models to consider?

All well known motherboards brands (Asus, MSI, Gigabyte,...) make good boards and I had good experience with all of them. Lately I prefer MSI motherboard, because they give me features (that I want) for less price than some other brands. In short, check what connectivity you wish/need (back IO panel, number of fan connectors, etc.) and pick what fits your budget.
As you can see, there's no "the best" board -you need to find "the best" for you. But in general yes, I think B450 Tomahawk is solid board.
In regard of BIOS updating... BIOS appearance differs between brands, menu system, sometimes terminology... but in general there's not much difference in usability. So, BIOS should not influence your decision much (I never used Asrock boards, so I can't tell about them).

Before you spend a lot on a motherboard and ram, I would swap the gtx770 for the 980ti as that is significantly faster:
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/asus-gtx-770-directcu-ii-oc.b2028
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/geforce-gtx-980-ti.c2724

And while the cpu is a solid upgrade from what you have, it isn't much faster than an upgrade to a 4790k, which would still use your existing ram and motherboard:
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compar...i7-4790K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-3600/2284vs2275vs3481

And I would actually consider more ram for what you're doing--32GB would make a difference since the applications won't be fighting with the OS for enough ram. Between this and the 980ti, I think you'd see an improvement without much effort.

Last edited:
Before you spend a lot on a motherboard and ram, I would swap the gtx770 for the 980ti
To be called an "upgrade" OP first need a solid base on which he can work. In this case that would be motherboard+CPU. Once he decided for that, all doors opens and his budget is the only limit how far he can/need to go with upgrade.
And btw. B450 motherboards aren't considered as expensive nowadays -and the same is true for RAM (if chosen wisely).

And while the cpu is a solid upgrade from what you have, it isn't much faster than an upgrade to a 4790k, which would still use your existing ram and motherboard
Well, the link you provided shows that AMD 3600 actually is much faster than Intel 4790K and is also overall better choice -which doesn't surprise me (4C/8T vs 6C/12T).
In my opinion, OP shouldn't invest into existing PC anymore -because performance increase would be barely noticeable and so it's just waste of money. He better get few bucks by selling it later as it is.

And finally, it doesn't mean my opinion is the best -but that's what I would do.

To be called an "upgrade" OP first need a solid base on which he can work. In this case that would be motherboard+CPU. Once he decided for that, all doors opens and his budget is the only limit how far he can/need to go with upgrade.
And btw. B450 motherboards aren't considered as expensive nowadays -and the same is true for RAM (if chosen wisely).

Well, the link you provided shows that AMD 3600 actually is much faster than Intel 4790K and is also overall better choice -which doesn't surprise me (4C/8T vs 6C/12T).
In my opinion, OP shouldn't invest into existing PC anymore -because performance increase would be barely noticeable and so it's just waste of money. He better get few bucks by selling it later as it is.

And finally, it doesn't mean my opinion is the best -but that's what I would do.
That is incorrect. OP specifically mentions their current setup is sufficient for their task. While prices may have come down, buying a new motherboard and ram are still an additional expenses no matter what the cost.

No, you're reading it wrong--single thread performance of the 3600 is just slightly faster than the 4790k. It's the additional cores that give the 3600 its passmark rating. I doubt a user sitting in front of both systems would be able to tell a difference unless that task is core intensive.

It really depends on money and value. If you've got more money, you don't need to worry about value, but part of PC optimization for most is value optimization. But you're right on one thing for sure--it's different for everyone.

Feb 5, 2021
That is incorrect. OP specifically mentions their current setup is sufficient for their task. While prices may have come down, buying a new motherboard and ram are still an additional expenses no matter what the cost.

No, you're reading it wrong--single thread performance of the 3600 is just slightly faster than the 4790k. It's the additional cores that give the 3600 its passmark rating. I doubt a user sitting in front of both systems would be able to tell a difference unless that task is core intensive.

It really depends on money and value. If you've got more money, you don't need to worry about value, but part of PC optimization for most is value optimization. But you're right on one thing for sure--it's different for everyone.

I think the point is if the OP is under a budget, since he already has the 3600 and the GPU that it would be more cost effective to get 32GB of RAM and the new motherboard and then sell the current motherboard, CPU, GPU and RAM. He would probably get a decent return on it and not break the bank for a very good step up in performance.

Mr Drummer

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2015
I think the point is if the OP is under a budget, since he already has the 3600 and the GPU that it would be more cost effective to get 32GB of RAM and the new motherboard and then sell the current motherboard, CPU, GPU and RAM. He would probably get a decent return on it and not break the bank for a very good step up in performance.

That's my plan (to sell my old motherboard, cpu, ram and graphics card), my brother (who gave me his old GTX980Ti) also said he has two pairs of 8GB DDR4 3000MHZ Ram-sticks that he would be happy to give to me, so there's only the motherboard i need to buy at this point. I also learned today that the Tomahawk Max supports the newer Ryzen cpus which is great if i would like to upgrade to an even more powerful cpu in the future. I'm not an avid gamer but more interetsed in the video editing benefits, especially the time it takes to export all the work related drum videos i make for my students.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2021
That's my plan (to sell my old motherboard, cpu, ram and graphics card), my brother (who gave me his old GTX980Ti) also said he has two pairs of 8GB DDR4 3000MHZ Ram-sticks that he would be happy to give to me, so there's only the motherboard i need to buy at this point.

You're laughin' then. Just make sure the motherboard you get specifically has that RAM kit listed on the motherboard QVL. Get the model of the RAM sticks (hopefully the 2 pairs are the same) and cross check. Going from 1600MHz to 3000MHz is a nice jump as well.

Mr Drummer

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2015
You're laughin' then. Just make sure the motherboard you get specifically has that RAM kit listed on the motherboard QVL. Get the model of the RAM sticks (hopefully the 2 pairs are the same) and cross check. Going from 1600MHz to 3000MHz is a nice jump as well.

I'm wondering though wether to use the stock cooler that came with the "Ryzen 5 3600" or use my old trusty "Noctua NH-U12P" from 2008 with a AM4 mounting kit that i've got.

Feb 5, 2021
I'm wondering though wether to use the stock cooler that came with the "Ryzen 5 3600" or use my old trusty "Noctua NH-U12P" from 2008 with a AM4 mounting kit that i've got.

From my experience, the Noctua will give you better cooling. Ryzen 3000 series CPU's will run hotter than you're used to as well under load so you can't lose with better cooling. The Noctua should be quiter as well compared to the AMD stock cooler.

Mr Drummer

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2015
R5 3600 is not very hot CPU (only 65W TDP), so every decent cooler should be enough. The problem is, stock cooler gets loud when CPU gets "busy", so you're much better with Noctua: better cooling and more quiet.

Better then the stock cooler ("Wraith" i think it's called) eventhough my Noctua is all the way back from 2008? Anything else to think of when setting up the bIos? I'm just planning on installing everything and make minimal adjustments in the BIOS-settings (XMP, is that a function i should try to understand for example?). I'm also going from Win 7 to Win 10, a much dreaded upgrade but i guess if i should do it this is the time.

..my Noctua is all the way back from 2008..
-that's the beauty of air cooling: age doesn't matter. If you can mount cooler on your CPU, then smile and get yourself a beer :)
There's nothing much to know about XMP setting in BIOS... you just turn this feature on (enable) in BIOS and that's it. But do that after you installed Windows 10 (after you're sure Windows 10 is working fine on your PC).
I understand your "doubts" about switching to Win10, after so many years on Windows 7. But you will see, installation is (usually) smooth and doesn't need much of your intervention. And finally.. if you plan to upgrade your PC in future, you actually have no choice!

Tigerhawk30

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2015
I would pretty much second second the second of the B450 Tomahawk Max. I use the original version of this board with a R9 3950X and it's a monster. I love it, I love it...did I mention I loved it?

And I also agree with the above in gains...you'll see a pretty massive set of them.

The Win10 upgrade is also pretty much mandatory, as Ryzen CPUs won't normally work with Win7.

Good luck, and enjoy!

Mr Drummer

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2015
-that's the beauty of air cooling: age doesn't matter. If you can mount cooler on your CPU, then smile and get yourself a beer :)
There's nothing much to know about XMP setting in BIOS... you just turn this feature on (enable) in BIOS and that's it. But do that after you installed Windows 10 (after you're sure Windows 10 is working fine on your PC).
I understand your "doubts" about switching to Win10, after so many years on Windows 7. But you will see, installation is (usually) smooth and doesn't need much of your intervention. And finally.. if you plan to upgrade your PC in future, you actually have no choice!

Yeah, it has cooled my 4690K pretty well these past six years and before that a Q9550 which i had for over ten years i think (before i eventually upgraded). I don't know how AMD cpus are nowadays but i remember from like 15 years ago when it often got metioned that they ran alot hotter than Intels counterparts, maybe AMD fixed/closed that gap a long time ago though. It bought the "Tomahawk Max 2" yesterday by the way and i'm really looking forward to trying something other than Asus. I really like the fact that AMD (and MSi) are so pro-consumer in that their newer cpus support even old motherboard. I get the feeling that Intel change the socket type alot more often, forcing people to upgrade their motherboards on an even more regular basis.

Yes, at about year 2000, AMD CPU's were kinda hot (to put it mildly). Times have changed though.. and so has AMD technology. As for now, AMD CPU's are considered as "cold" CPU's and less power hungry, compared to Intel. So, you shouldn't expect any troubles in this regard.

And yes (again), AMD has kept AM4 socket alive for quite a long time -which is a good thing for consumers, obviously. But just for info... according to AMD, 5000 series CPU is supposed to be the last generation made for AM4 socket. By the very end of 2021, AMD should release next CPU generation which will need new motherboard. Well, if it's justified (performance wise), it's ok for me.

Mr Drummer

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2015
Yes, at about year 2000, AMD CPU's were kinda hot (to put it mildly). Times have changed though.. and so has AMD technology. As for now, AMD CPU's are considered as "cold" CPU's and less power hungry, compared to Intel. So, you shouldn't expect any troubles in this regard.

And yes (again), AMD has kept AM4 socket alive for quite a long time -which is a good thing for consumers, obviously. But just for info... according to AMD, 5000 series CPU is supposed to be the last generation made for AM4 socket. By the very end of 2021, AMD should release next CPU generation which will need new motherboard. Well, if it's justified (performance wise), it's ok for me.

That's good to know, thanks for all your help it means alot. I know the "Tomahawk Max 2" supports the "Ryzen 5 3600" out of the box but in general is it better to update the BIOS (if the moptherboard have that option) before or after you've installed everything (ram. cpu, gpu etc.)?