execute_me

Reputable
Sep 23, 2018
So I've got an Asus ROG SWIFT PG248Q, it's 1080p, 180 Hz overclock, G-Sync, TA, 24 inch. Really just seems like an extremely e-sports centered monitor, especially with the TA panel causing very poor color accuracy. I'm currently looking at the Samsung C27JG50, 1440p, 144hz, 27 inch and a VA panel. But would this upgrade be worth it for me? I guess what I'm paying for is 1440hz and the VA panel.

I play everything from Factorio to Valorant and CS. Would this new screen give me a disadvantage with slightly higher latency? Is there even a latency difference and in that case is it noticeable? Or would the larger screen size impact my experience with CS like titles, or the curved panel?

Really what I'm asking is if this monitor would impact my performance/experience in CS-like games and other than that if it's generally worth.

Thanks in advance.

(Sorry for the clunkiness of the text)

Edit :
GPU : RTX 2070
CPU : Ryzen 5 3600
(I'm assuming I shouldn't be worried about my specs being outdated)

Solution
I've been looking around a bit, I think I will upgrade even if it hurts CS a bit, but I think I will go with another monitor. A friend of mine has a 1440p 144hz Acer monitor that's he seems to really enjoy. It also doesn't have G-Sync, but Freesync, but neither one of us has AMD GPUs. I don't think it's G-Sync officially compatible. But it is to be noted that he went from some casual 1080p 60hz monitor to 1440p, 144hz. Do you think I should worry about G-Sync? The answers online that I've found seem to range from "Yes, very very needed" to "It's useless." And considering that I've had a G-Sync monitor for about 3 years now I can't really compare.

Sorry for slow response.
Freesync can work with Nvidia GPU's too from pascal or...
So I've got an Asus ROG SWIFT PG248Q, it's 1080p, 180 Hz overclock, G-Sync, TA, 24 inch. Really just seems like an extremely e-sports centered monitor, especially with the TA panel causing very poor color accuracy. I'm currently looking at the Samsung C27JG50, 1440p, 144hz, 27 inch and a VA panel. But would this upgrade be worth it for me? I guess what I'm paying for is 1440hz and the VA panel.

I play everything from Factorio to Valorant and CS. Would this new screen give me a disadvantage with slightly higher latency? Is there even a latency difference and in that case is it noticeable? Or would the larger screen size impact my experience with CS like titles, or the curved panel?

Really what I'm asking is if this monitor would impact my performance/experience in CS-like games and other than that if it's generally worth.

Thanks in advance.

Edit :
I have like 1k hours in CSGO and i am high rank. Now i have 1440p monitor (Gigabyte Aorus FI27Q) and before i had (MSI Optix MAG241C). I play a variety of games and the only game i really did not like on 1440p was CSGO i even stopped playing it. Valorant is a mix of CSGO and Overwatch so i bet it will be the same. If you main these type of games and you play really competitive stay with your current monitor. If you are not that competitive and you also enjoy playing single player games then a 1440p monitor with IPS panel and 144/165hz will be far better.

execute_me

Reputable
Sep 23, 2018
I have like 1k hours in CSGO and i am high rank. Now i have 1440p monitor (Gigabyte Aorus FI27Q) and before i had (MSI Optix MAG241C). I play a variety of games and the only game i really did not like on 1440p was CSGO i even stopped playing it. Valorant is a mix of CSGO and Overwatch so i bet it will be the same. If you main these type of games and you play really competitive stay with your current monitor. If you are not that competitive and you also enjoy playing single player games then a 1440p monitor with IPS panel and 144/165hz will be far better.
Exactly why was the 2K monitor such a pain in CS? If it made you stop playing the game. I've got about 3.7K hours on CS and it's a game that I know I will be coming back to eventually, even I don't play the game right now, probably the same thing with Valorant. I wouldn't want to have a worse experience with all the other games because I'm eventually going to play CS, but I also don't want to butcher my experience with CS as it's a genre that I really care for.

Also, I would be keeping my current monitor but I don't know how much that matters.

Exactly why was the 2K monitor such a pain in CS? If it made you stop playing the game. I've got about 3.7K hours on CS and it's a game that I know I will be coming back to eventually, even I don't play the game right now, probably the same thing with Valorant. I wouldn't want to have a worse experience with all the other games because I'm eventually going to play CS, but I also don't want to butcher my experience with CS as it's a genre that I really care for.

Also, I would be keeping my current monitor but I don't know how much that matters.
For me the resolution and especially the screen size was the problem. The lower the screen size and the resolution the better for this game. If you buy a 1440p it has to be at least 27inch. For the response time i never noticed any different at all from going from TN 5ms to TN 1ms to IPS/VA 1ms so dont worry about it. Also the samsung monitor you listed lack of Freesync/Gsync technology.

Last edited:

execute_me

Reputable
Sep 23, 2018
For me the resolution and especially the screen size was the problem. The lower the screen size and the resolution the better for this game. If you buy a 1440p it has to be at least 27inch. For the response time i never noticed any different at all from going from TN 5ms to TN 1ms to IPS/VA 1ms so dont worry about it. Also the samsung monitor you listed lack of Freesync/Gsync technology.
I've been looking around a bit, I think I will upgrade even if it hurts CS a bit, but I think I will go with another monitor. A friend of mine has a 1440p 144hz Acer monitor that's he seems to really enjoy. It also doesn't have G-Sync, but Freesync, but neither one of us has AMD GPUs. I don't think it's G-Sync officially compatible. But it is to be noted that he went from some casual 1080p 60hz monitor to 1440p, 144hz. Do you think I should worry about G-Sync? The answers online that I've found seem to range from "Yes, very very needed" to "It's useless." And considering that I've had a G-Sync monitor for about 3 years now I can't really compare.

Sorry for slow response.

Sorry for slow response.
Freesync can work with Nvidia GPU's too from pascal or newer architecture graphics cards. It does not have to be officially G-SYNC compatible for Freesync to work with an Nvidia GPU. So far all the monitors i tested worked with Nvidia just fine. The only difference from officially G-sync compatible freesync monitors was that in that case the G-SYNC was automatically enabled on the other hand with non officially you have to go in the nvidia control panel and enable it on your own. You have an RTX 2070 so you wont have any problem to use freesync and it will be significantly less expensive from a G-SYNC monitor.

Solution
If you can average over 100fps I really see no benefit from Freesync/G-Sync. I have a G-Sync certified Freesync monitor and I have G-Sync switched off. There is an ever so slight lag with G-Sync and with FPS over 100 I just don’t find any downside to having it switched off. If I was getting much lower FPS then I expect it would be better to have it on.

Blindeagle

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2013
I actually have around 8k hours on CSGO but i think i will also upgrade to a 1440p even if it hurts CS a bit. I usually play on 1024x768 res not because i need FPS but because its what im used to. (I have a 1080ti)

I'm thinking about going all out and getting a "asus ROG Strix XG279Q" I've heard amazing reviews about the monitor, only down side is it cost a lot of money. Have you looked into it at all?

I actually have around 8k hours on CSGO but i think i will also upgrade to a 1440p even if it hurts CS a bit. I usually play on 1024x768 res not because i need FPS but because its what im used to. (I have a 1080ti)

I'm thinking about going all out and getting a "asus ROG Strix XG279Q" I've heard amazing reviews about the monitor, only down side is it cost a lot of money. Have you looked into it at all?

I have the previous model of the ROG Strix . Yes they are very expensive. I have zero regrets! It is a gorgeous display with great color, absolutely love it.

Blindeagle

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2013
I have the previous model of the ROG Strix . Yes they are very expensive. I have zero regrets! It is a gorgeous display with great color, absolutely love it.

Ye i'm really looking forward to getting it :) Will be great for single player games on the pc/ ps5 + it will work fine on CSGO when i lower the res to 1024 so all in all going to be great :)

Mar 10, 2020

Thanks in advance.

Edit :

The RTX 2070 won't be able to run most games close to 144 frames per seconds with a 1440p monitor. CSGO however might be just fine.

You can see some of it for yourself here;
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2019-05-07-geforce-rtx-2070-benchmarks-7001

Dankhola

Prominent
Feb 12, 2020
Valorant looks pretty good at 1440p. It was designed more recently with better resolution textures than CS. It can help you pick out some nice distance shots at times.
I guess it all comes down to how seriously you think you'd get back into CS.

I'd honestly struggle to play a lot of Games in a lower res than 2K now. It's a bit like high refresh rates. Once you're used to it it's hard to go back.
Stick on the Gsync for more demanding Games and you're laughing. Even if you're not hitting 144 FPS in all games at least you have the headroom. You can always set it to 120hz or lower for specific use cases.