Worth upgrading to i5-4590 from an i3-4170?

xivizor

Reputable
Dec 22, 2017
I run a 4th gen max mobo and I'm low on budget so im not planning to buy a new mobo and a new CPU as the better ones are 5th gen +

i was wondering if you guys think that an upgrade from the old i3-4170 to an i5-4590 would be a good, future proof CPU for gaming (CS:GO, Fortnite, mostly FPS / shooter games, cpu intensive, rather than GTA V, FarCry, Assasins Creed, etc).

I rock an R9 270, 8 RAM, 550w antec PSU
would i be able to run i5-4590 with all these specs?

Solution
The way I look at it is this:

Haswell i5-4690 ~= Ryzen R3-1200 ($95 + MB ($60) + RAM ($80) = ~$240
Haswell i7-4790 ~= Ryzen R5-1400 ($140 + MB ($60) + RAM ($80) = ~$300

Used i5-4690 = ebay buy it now = ~$125
Used i7-4790 = ebay buy it now = ~$200

Give or take about 10% in favor of Intel.

And you could pick up another 8GB of DDR3 while you are at it.

Option 2: i3-8100 $120, H310 MB ($60) + Ram ($80) = $260. Basically an equivalent to an i5 of old.

Ryzen has some upward motion, probably at least one more round of CPUs for the 400 series motherboards. Intel is probably going to screw us over with Z390 and whatever follows. Though I expect that now.

I would say the most convenient option is to get the fastest Haswell CPU you can...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
If you are going to upgrade an LGA1150 system, go for an i7-4790 or i7-4790k to get the most out of it. If you happen to have Z97 or H97 then you could actually get 5th gen CPUs. But those had such a limited production run.

Yes, nothing wrong with the rest of the specs.

caledbwlch

Prominent
Jan 25, 2018
I agree for the most part. A 4590 is nearly identical single core speed, and ~45% less quad-core speed. If you are on a budget, a 4690 will serve you much better than a 4590. Neither is going to future proof you, but it will be enough to game for a while until you do a complete upgrade. A 4790 would be decent and hold you over a bit longer, but eventually you are going to need more than 4 physical cores (a 4790 is four plus hyperthreading).

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
The way I look at it is this:

Haswell i5-4690 ~= Ryzen R3-1200 ($95 + MB ($60) + RAM ($80) = ~$240
Haswell i7-4790 ~= Ryzen R5-1400 ($140 + MB ($60) + RAM ($80) = ~$300

Used i5-4690 = ebay buy it now = ~$125
Used i7-4790 = ebay buy it now = ~$200

Give or take about 10% in favor of Intel.

And you could pick up another 8GB of DDR3 while you are at it.

Option 2: i3-8100 $120, H310 MB ($60) + Ram ($80) = $260. Basically an equivalent to an i5 of old.

Ryzen has some upward motion, probably at least one more round of CPUs for the 400 series motherboards. Intel is probably going to screw us over with Z390 and whatever follows. Though I expect that now.

I would say the most convenient option is to get the fastest Haswell CPU you can afford. (I personally think 4 cores is going to be enough for a very long time. Always keep in mind they target the lowest common denominator and that is still going to be low end quad cores and i3's from several generations back)

Most 'future proof' is swapping to AMD and getting an X470 board now.

Intel is just a little pricey at the moment. Grabbing a Z370 board now gets you into the hex core capability, but perhaps not the 8 core CPUs they intend to release.

Myself, going to hold out for Intel's 400 series probably. That will just about bring me to my 3 year cycle.

Solution

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
An i5 isn't worth the upgrade, you are going from 4 threads to slightly faster 4 threads. In the long run there's only 2 decent options. Either an i7-4790/k or Xeon 1270v3.

Contrary to some beliefs, the quad core is on its way out, and somewhat quickly, a lot faster than it took for dual cores to become obsolete, especially for games. Gta:V, Witcher 3,pubg,overwatch, Any newer mmorpg including WoW, any multi-player online game and more, all run better with 8 thread capability. And the trend of games using multiple threads is going to continue as it's far easier to port a 8 thread console game to an 8 thread pc game than having to try and optimize an 8 thread console game to a 4 thread pc.

CoffeeLake is 6 cores/6 threads i5, Ryzen r5+ is 6 cores/12 threads+. With available resources games Will expand, the days of single thread heavy, low core count games are numbered.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador

Even those games that use multiple threads still rely on a single primary thread that needs a fast core to run on. Effective multitasking doesn't put a 100% burden on all the cores either, so some cores can easily pull double duty. On average most games will still run fine with 4 threads. Coffeelake i5 is 6 threads. Coffeelake i7 is also 6c/12t.

Only reason I suggest the i7 is not wasting the board's maximum capability while it is still relevant (and I think it will be relevant for quite a while yet.)

It doesn't matter if the latest and greatest hardware supports many threads. Games are still developed for the masses and your dual core four thread laptops are going to be dominant for quite a bit longer. In three or four more CPU generations I would agree with you since breakage and replacement will eat into the dual core majority.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
(quote) We looked at Camelcamelcamel.com’s historical data for Amazon’s fourth best-selling gaming laptop, the superb Acer Predator Helios 300. This 15.6-inch laptop features a quad-core Core i7-7700HQ, 16GB of RAM, a 256GB SSD and a 6GB GeForce GTX 1060. It’s a well-rounded laptop with a great price—you can basically get it all day at or around $1,049. (end quote)

No. It's looking more and more like quad core laptops are dominant for gaming, and 8th gen is only going to improve on that.

(quote) Starting things off at the high-end, Dell will be releasing the latest versions of their Alienware premium gaming laptops in the Alienware 15R4 and 17R5. The new laptops will support up to an Intel Core i9 k-Series processor with overclocking up to 5 GHz. (end quote)

Bye bye dual core.

Let's not forget Amd.

AMD Ryzen™ 7 2700U Mobile Processor with Radeon™ RX Vega 10 Graphics

Graphics Model: Radeon™ RX Vega 10 Graphics 
Cores: 4 
Threads: 8 
Max turbo: 3.8GHz 
Base : 2.2GHz 

They all have the speed to carry the primary thread with no issues, and at least 4core + cpus.

This is where gaming is headed. This is what game devs will be working with. Any laptop now that doesn't carry at least a gtx1060/Rx580 doesn't count for a gaming laptop, and those that do have sufficient gpu power will not only be on sale at reduced pricing, but are going to be seriously lagging behind.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador

Yes, now... That doesn't include the people that bought laptops in the last several years and aren't looking to upgrade in the near future. I'm not disagreeing that dual cores are on the way out, I'm pointing out that lots of people (including the OP) still have them. Unless I am making a AAA title specifically for high end PC gamers, I am going to make sure my game will run on common dual cores. Fortnite being today's relevant example requiring only an i3 and 4GB of memory (And integrated graphics).

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I3, 4Gb of ram and igpu isn't gaming. That's looking at pretty pictures and having time for a smoke before the dude makes it around the corner 3 steps away. While that might be absolute minimum requirements, it's no different than trying to call a golf-cart a race car simply because it has 4 wheels and a motor.

And I could just as easily throw Battlefront 2 minimum requirements at ya,
Processor (AMD): AMD FX-6350.
Processor (Intel): Intel Core i5 6600K.
Memory: 8GB RAM.
Graphics card (AMD): AMD Radeon™ HD 7850 2GB.
Graphics card (NVIDIA): NVIDIA GeForce® GTX 660 2GB.

So not even my i7-3770K qualifies...

Battlefront 2, fortnite etc are exceptions, there will always be exceptions, but an i3 to i5 is realistically still a sideways move with no 'future proofing', Op is just going to a slightly stronger cpu with no change in ability.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I don't think those are exceptions if you can easily call to mind two recent releases. (And Frostbite engine requirements are inflated for reasons I still haven't figured out, people play those games with far less, which I assume you would agree to) All we ever hear about is that you get more FPS with faster CPUs, which is true, doesn't mean that you can't get reasonable FPS with much less resources.

I still stand by my recommendations (which you seem to agree with) and that quad cores CPUs, even without hyperthreading, will be relevant for many years to come. That recent dual core CPUs are still relevant. If people can still buy them, they will, then come here and ask us what to upgrade like they do.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Yes, 4 threads is about minimum reqs for most games now. OP already has an i3, 4 threads. By moving to a same family i5, he'll still have 4 threads. His position hasn't changed. That i5 carries 4x full cores vrs the i3 2x full cores and 2x virtual cores. Basically meaning that anything running 1-4 threads really won't change much at all, a few fps. It'll only be on the very cpu taxing stuff, as in @80% cpu usage + that the i5 full cores will show any real benefit over the i3 virtual cores.

Not saying you are wrong, the i5 would be an upgrade, but it's usage is highly limited and the gains vrs price don't warrant moving. I3 to i7 is a different story, you still get the benefits of 4x full cores + get 4x virtual cores, bringing cpu usage considerably lower in multiple thread optimized games, which is increasing in popularity. You get more work done on 8 slower threads than 4 faster threads and with graphics intensity in modern games, especially AAA titles, 4 threads is going to hurt.

Doesn't hurt that at stock clocks the i7-4790k is also the fastest clocked cpu.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador

No, You would want an i5-8400 with the H310 chipset if you were going for an i5.

With 8th gen, the i3-8100 is equivalent to a 7th gen i5. The 8th gen i5 have 6 cores rather than 4.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Would that be a good upgrade? Not really. You are still spending out for a cpu that's only 15-20ish% faster than what you have. It'll increase the fps, but figure that's only going to be @5-10 fps in what you currently can use well. For anything that you struggle with, like multiple thread apps, gaming and streaming, encoding, heavy core games etc, you'll see next to no improvement.

With 8th gen i5, not only do you have 20-25% increase in IPC over Haswell, but there's 2x extra full cores, basically putting you at the same level of ability as an i7-7700k in core ability, plus the extra 10% faster IPC. And an i5 8400 and mobo is cheaper than just the i7-7700k. Plus you'll be moving to much faster ddr4 ram from your current ddr3 which is going to help Alot in things like your web browser and swapping tabs etc. Not so much on most games, some see a large difference.

xivizor

Reputable
Dec 22, 2017

What about an i3 8100 with an H310-A mobo? 41% percent more, especially in gaming and speed rank.

Dude either get a 4790 or K depending on the cost difference or swap to a new platform. Would avoid a H310 board. Personally would go with the B boards from either AMD or Intel with an R3 1200 for the red team or i3 8100 for the blue. Although intel is likely to have a shorter socket cycle and the B board on their side doesn't allow overclocking so you won't have access to increasing your CPU clocks and you will most likely have fewer Gens of CPU to pick from if you upgrade in a few years.

xivizor

Reputable
Dec 22, 2017

I really want the i3 8100 as I'm into CPU intensive games and the i3 8100 seems to outrun the i7 4790
http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-4790-vs-Intel-Core-i3-8100/2293vs3942

And is WAY cheaper which is really good to me
Can you link a good,cheap 8th gen mobos

Dude don't go by userbenchmark go by actual comparisons. Secondly you should consider the AMD platform because lower end intel boards don't allow Overclocking and because with a 270 you will not be bottlenecked on the CPU. Where you from i'll send some 8th gen board links

The most bang for your buck is going to be the hex core i5 for intel, however the ultimate value will be your AMD Ryzen 2600x. New triple A titles can make use of more than four cores.
If you're going with all new hardware, that's what i'd suggest for an investment.
Going with a used i7 4790 also isn't a bad idea because those newer triple A titles will be able to make use of all 8 threads. You'll get better FPS stability (Less dips when game performance demands cpu resources) going with a higher core count than your i3.