[SOLVED] would a 9th gen cpu be damage if u put it in a 10th gen mobo?

Oct 9, 2020
i wasnt thinking and bought a 10th gen mbo for my 9th gen cpu and put the cpu in . I was wonder if this would cause any damage to the cpu?

Solution
Well, you'd likely damage the motherboard rather than the CPU. The sockets aren't the same. Even if you lived to be a thousand, you'd never get this to work, so there's no purpose to trying, even if you knew there would be no damage.

Or you don't actually have a 10th-generation motherboard (LGA 1200) or you don't actually have a 9th-generation CPU (LGA 1151). Conveying information that is both detailed and accurate is extremely important for asking technical questions!

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Well, you'd likely damage the motherboard rather than the CPU. The sockets aren't the same. Even if you lived to be a thousand, you'd never get this to work, so there's no purpose to trying, even if you knew there would be no damage.

Or you don't actually have a 10th-generation motherboard (LGA 1200) or you don't actually have a 9th-generation CPU (LGA 1151). Conveying information that is both detailed and accurate is extremely important for asking technical questions!

Solution