Would a i5-3570k bottleneck a 1070 or 1080 for gaming at 1440p or 4K?

JackST

Honorable
Aug 6, 2013
The CPU is not overclocked and I have a GA-B75M-D3H motherboard if it makes any difference.

Thanks for any help.

Solution
VLC is known for being choppy with 4K video. Sadly 4K video for PC is just starting to become a thing and it is not supported very well at this time. I don't use VLC at this point, I have in the past, but my guess is time will lead to better support and stability. I myself have been waiting to make my home rig 4K blu-ray capable at which point I'd back everything up to my media server and stream whether it is raw or compressed via handbrake. Point being your in fairly uncharted territory and I would not upgrade just yet based on 4K video. I would go ahead and get a gtx 1080 if that is your plan as your fine for 4K gaming CPU wise. If in another 6 months the 4K video problems aren't being ironed out on your platform then I might consider...

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador

No not at all. he would need less CPU horse power at 4k then 1080p or 1440P. The higher the resolution the less CPU you need to drive it. That's a well known PC gaming fact.

edit...oops misread your post Herc08 or more accurately reversed it in my head. Regardless his CPU should be good for a bit longer. I used a i7 3930K @ 1080P now at 4K and still use a i7 970 for 1080P with two GTX 980s so his CPU is fine for a couple more years.

JackST

Honorable
Aug 6, 2013
I have a 28" 4k monitor, so i'm guessing the difference between gaming at 1440p and 4k will be minimal at this size? The only reason I asked the original question is because I've tried playing some 4K films and my PC struggles a fair bit using VLC Media player (CPU usage was at 100%). I don't want to pay £600 for a 1080 for 4k gaming if I can't even play a 4k film smoothly.

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
VLC is known for being choppy with 4K video. Sadly 4K video for PC is just starting to become a thing and it is not supported very well at this time. I don't use VLC at this point, I have in the past, but my guess is time will lead to better support and stability. I myself have been waiting to make my home rig 4K blu-ray capable at which point I'd back everything up to my media server and stream whether it is raw or compressed via handbrake. Point being your in fairly uncharted territory and I would not upgrade just yet based on 4K video. I would go ahead and get a gtx 1080 if that is your plan as your fine for 4K gaming CPU wise. If in another 6 months the 4K video problems aren't being ironed out on your platform then I might consider upgrading your CPU and just carry over your GTX 1080 to the new one.

Solution