[SOLVED] Would a M-ATX (specifically the Gigabyte B365M ) motherboard fit in an HP elitedesk 800 (full form)?

Feb 8, 2022
hello! I have a pre-built HP elitedesk 800 with a few modifications (namely more RAM and a 1050ti). now I've been meaning to upgrade it and get a new motherboard so I can fit the newer CPUs, but I'm not sureif the motherboard I picked will fit the case and the 1050ti. included are two images of the motherboard I chose and the pre-included one
71gD0+bmCsL._AC_SL1000_.jpg
810HonITA2L._AC_SL1280_.jpg

Solution
Yes, I think the matx motherboard would fit.
The full case is an attractive one. It looks to be fairly well ventilated.
Yes, there are some solutions for front panel connections.

But, and this is a big but. The power supply looks to be proprietary and will not work out of the box on your new motherboard. Possibly adapters are available.
Then, the psu will be minimal, and ok for a 1050ti that does not need aux 6 pin power.
It looks to me like you will also need a new psu.

Do not buy a cheap psu. Look for a unit with a 7 to 10 year warranty and you will have a long term investment.
Yes, it will be expensive.

Since you are on a budget, you really may not need a case initially,
Just put the parts out on a table.
A $5 switch can...

Lutfij

Titan
It's not just the motherboard's form factor, it's also the connectors on said motherboard. They are proprietary. ot to mention the front panel I/O. SKU for your pre-built HP EliteDesk 800 ? If you're going through these lengths, what's stopping you from picking up an matx case, then pair it with the new motherboard purchase with off the shelf parts?

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
I can't agree more with Lutfij.

I have had hands on experience with such cases and trying to help people mix and match off the shelf standard components with proprietary systems (MOBOs + cases) it's usually a headache and many things go wrong in the process.

I too say get an MATX case with standard components which reduces the trouble and risk of incomatibility.

Reactions: Kerbo416
Feb 8, 2022
It's not just the motherboard's form factor, it's also the connectors on said motherboard. They are proprietary. ot to mention the front panel I/O. SKU for your pre-built HP EliteDesk 800 ? If you're going through these lengths, what's stopping you from picking up an matx case, then pair it with the new motherboard purchase with off the shelf parts?
I can't agree more with Lutfij.

I have had hands on experience with such cases and trying to help people mix and match off the shelf standard components with proprietary systems (MOBOs + cases) it's usually a headache and many things go wrong in the process.

I too say get an MATX case with standard components which reduces the trouble and risk of incomatibility.
I see, thanks guys for your help, I'll save up a bit more and get a new case as well then

Yes, I think the matx motherboard would fit.
The full case is an attractive one. It looks to be fairly well ventilated.
Yes, there are some solutions for front panel connections.

But, and this is a big but. The power supply looks to be proprietary and will not work out of the box on your new motherboard. Possibly adapters are available.
Then, the psu will be minimal, and ok for a 1050ti that does not need aux 6 pin power.
It looks to me like you will also need a new psu.

Do not buy a cheap psu. Look for a unit with a 7 to 10 year warranty and you will have a long term investment.
Yes, it will be expensive.

Since you are on a budget, you really may not need a case initially,
Just put the parts out on a table.
A $5 switch can get the pc started.
This is not a good if you have cats or kids around.

Solution