[SOLVED] Would change of RAM do any difference at all?

Oct 7, 2020
I think I finally got my rig nailed, but I'm curious if my current RAM (G.Skill Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16) could be improved OR if any change would result only in an abysmal improvement. Would I be able to tell a difference at all? Cheers on this glorious summer day!

Here are my specs:
Case: NZXT H510i ATX Mid Tower / Fans: 2 x be quiet! Light Wings (120mm PWM, 1700 rpm) / PSU: Corsair RM650x 650 W 80+ Gold / MOBO: ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING / CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X / CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper TX3 Evo 43.1 CFM / GPU: Inno3D GeForce RTX 4070 Ti X3 - 12GB GDDR6X RAM / SSD: Kingston A2000 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME / RAM: G.Skill Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Depends on what titles you play and at what resolution. I wouldn't touch the specs of your build unless you had disposal funds. If you do, best save up and move onto a CPU upgrade or a higher platform.

Lutfij

Titan
Always include system specs into the body of your thread as sig space specs can and will change over time. If and when that does happen, suggestions or solutions made to this thread might end up moot to the user in the same boat as you're in.

If you're indeed on B550 + Ryzen 5600X, you're best off going for higher frequency kit, like DDR4-3600MHz but with a tighter latency. The memory controller on the platform should be able to handle DDR4-3600MHz. Is your platform used only for gaming? Tighter latency at higher frequencies will grant you slightly more FPS. Though the flip side is that a higher frequency, tighter latency ram kit will be pricier.

Oct 7, 2020
Always include system specs into the body of your thread as sig space specs can and will change over time. If and when that does happen, suggestions or solutions made to this thread might end up moot to the user in the same boat as you're in.

If you're indeed on B550 + Ryzen 5600X, you're best off going for higher frequency kit, like DDR4-3600MHz but with a tighter latency. The memory controller on the platform should be able to handle DDR4-3600MHz. Is your platform used only for gaming? Tighter latency at higher frequencies will grant you slightly more FPS. Though the flip side is that a higher frequency, tighter latency ram kit will be pricier.

Sure thing, makes sense. And yes, only gaming. Ok, so the question I guess is whether this or that expense is justified by a couple of fps. I'd better look for a good deal then :D

From what I could gather in websites that test RAM in various speed configurations, the sweet spot for Zen 3 CPUs is/was DDR-3200. While DDR4-3600 may gain some improvement, it's not really enough to go out of your way if you already have DDR4-3200. And going beyond that would incur worse performance until you get really high-end DDR4 kits due to the memory controller ratio no longer operating at 1:1 with RAM.

I doubt you could tell the difference with faster ram without a synthetic benchmark.

If you are inclined to upgrade, I think I would look at a better cooler.
The Cooler Master Hyper TX3 Evo is really not very capable.
Your cpu may be throttling.