Question Would crossfire bring my old gpu back from the dead?

Davidino

Commendable
Feb 17, 2022
I have a dead R9 280x, I have no idea whats wrong with it, the fans spin and it gets warm, but I cant seem to get display. Would it be possible to crossfire it with another r9 280x and then get double the power but I use the ports of the working r9 280x and not the one without display?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
If you knew the only thing wrong with the card were the ports than yeah you could xfire and display via the other card. But you wouldn't know what's actually wrong with the card without spending money on another 280x to see. Unless you know someone who has one to test, then sure. It's your money after all. 280x's in xfire would require 750w psu as well, 500w between the cards and then some for cpu motherboard drives etc, so maybe more expenditure there for another psu if current isn't adequate. Then there's the lack of xfire support in games too to think about.

Maybe something more current would be better depending on the rest of your specs. Im sure you'd find something relatively cheap that would beat 280x in xfire.

Last edited:
Reactions: Corwin65 and 7medd

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Crossfire averaged @ 20-30% increase in fps at its best, which was years ago. Nothing in recent years has really had any support for Crossfire, not since a Rx480 could power a 1080p 60Hz monitor at Ultra all by itself, in the majority of games, was infinitely more stable, compatible with any game and didn't require a huge psu or have the overheating issues inherent with multiple gpus in close proximity.

For what you'd spend on another 280x alone, you could grab a 1660/super, which is considerably better than Crossfire 280x's.

Davidino

Commendable
Feb 17, 2022
If you knew the only thing wrong with the card were the ports than yeah you could xfire and display via the other card. But you wouldn't know what's actually wrong with the card without spending money on another 280x to see. Unless you know someone who has one to test, then sure. It's your money after all. 280x's in xfire would require 750w psu as well, 500w between the cards and then some for cpu motherboard drives etc, so maybe more expenditure there for another psu if current isn't adequate. Then there's the lack of xfire support in games too to think about.

Maybe something more current would be better depending on the rest of your specs. Im sure you'd find something relatively cheap that would beat 280x in xfire.
I have two R9 280x's one working and one with no display. I think its better to upgrade, but first I want to know what is actually wrong with the card. U said I needed another R9 280x, what exactly do I do with it? I also have a gtx 1650 that performs a little bit better than the R9 280x, but I wanted to know if I could bring my old beast back from the dead.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
I have two R9 280x's one working and one with no display. I think its better to upgrade, but first I want to know what is actually wrong with the card. U said I needed another R9 280x, what exactly do I do with it? I also have a gtx 1650 that performs a little bit better than the R9 280x, but I wanted to know if I could bring my old beast back from the dead.

I have no idea what you're on about with that reply. I suggest you re-read your OP and then again mine.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Physical testing with a multimeter and/or oscilloscope is the only way you'll ever get an answer to that. You have no video out, that means something in the card has failed. There's no way of knowing exactly what, could be any single component, any mosfet, any diode, any resistor.

So putting the card in crossfire you've a 50/50 chance. It either works only in crossfire, so the fault is after crossfires needs from the card, or it fails, so the fault is at or before crossfires requirements. Neither of which will tell you anything more than 'the card is broke'.

Davidino

Commendable
Feb 17, 2022
I have no idea what you're on about with that reply. I suggest you re-read your OP and then again mine.
I can see why its confusing, what I meant by that is: U are right and I will replace my gpu with the gtx 1650 I also have, but I would like to know what happend to my dead R9 280x and maybe bring him back to life. Im not even really sure that it failed, maybe its just the ports.

If you are asking these type of questions its very likely you wouldnt be able to diagnose exactly whats wrong with the card.

GPUs are very complex, it could be any number of failure points.
Even if you did run it in Xfire, how would you know its actually working and not just the other card on its own? Next to nothing supports Xfire anymore so its not like you can test it.

Lastly, if you did somehow narrow down the issue, would you be able to fix it? Probably not.