[SOLVED] Would I be stupid for buying a good 1080p monitor instead of 1440p?

cadco96

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2013
Hi everyone,
I have a desktop PC that I use for gaming and productivity. It has a GTX 1070 with a Ryzen 3600. Within the next year or so I will probably upgrade the GPU to a 3060/3060TI, or some AMD equivalent. Currently I use two mediocre 1080p monitors with 60hz refresh rates and not so great color. I have gamed this way for years and it has mostly been good, however I do have some very frustrating problems with screen tearing and input lag. Specifically, my main display's response time is advertised at 5ms, and since screen tearing is usually an issue because my gpu puts out more than 60 fps, I am often using vsync. The resulting input lag can really hinder my experience, and I figure the combination of a higher refresh rate and faster response time on a new monitor would be a great improvement.

I could buy a 1440p monitor, which seems more "future proof", I guess, but the damn things are expensive. It seems like I could seriously upgrade my current monitor to include a high refresh rate 1080p monitor that will probably have nicer coloration than my current ones for less than $200. If I stay around the 24 inch size, would I be stupid for buying a new 1080p monitor this late in the game? Is 1440p the new standard for gaming and productivity now? I'm not on a big budget with things like this, so dropping $300-$400 on a 1440p 144hz monitor would be a big deal for me.

Thanks for your input!

Solution
i often wonder if a single large 4k screen would be better than the 3 1080p screens i run. so it's a very valid thought you have there.

i know my gpu will push it for what i do other than games but i've just not willing to spend the cash right now. i wonder what it would look like with a few vm's on the same screen though the smaller size would probably annoy me. i have 3 24" screens and 1/4 of even a 32" 4k screen is smaller than i am used to now.

don't think i'd use the word stupid to describe getting a 1440p screen. but rather a personal choice with good and bad points that you have considered and made a decision you're happy with :)

in the end it's all about if you are happy with it. who cares what i or others think? i'm not...

4745454b

Titan
My personal opinion is 1080 or 4k. Other non film sizes will have stretching, boarders, and/or interpolation issues. And like with phones or gpus, yesterday's high end can be better than today's budget or midrange. I personally would avoid 1440.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
is the 1070 a good 1440p card? that's the real question to me. look at some benchmarks for games you play at 1440p and a 1070 and see if it is acceptable to you.

more important though is yourproductivity. is 1080p enough for whatever it is you do other than gaming? gaming is 2nd on the list after work, so the work dictates the main needs of the pc for me. if 1080p is good enough for your work and the 1070 is not good enough for 1440p in the games you play, then a 1080p screen is the way to go.

if you need 1440p or more for work then that's what you need to go with and then turn it back to 1080p for gaming if 1440p is not gonna work for you there. i have a 1650 super and use a 144hz 1080p screen. the AOC C24G1 for when i turn a game on. i don't play AAA shooters and such so i easily hit the 144 fps level for most of what i play.

cadco96

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2013
is the 1070 a good 1440p card? that's the real question to me. look at some benchmarks for games you play at 1440p and a 1070 and see if it is acceptable to you.

more important though is yourproductivity. is 1080p enough for whatever it is you do other than gaming? gaming is 2nd on the list after work, so the work dictates the main needs of the pc for me. if 1080p is good enough for your work and the 1070 is not good enough for 1440p in the games you play, then a 1080p screen is the way to go.

if you need 1440p or more for work then that's what you need to go with and then turn it back to 1080p for gaming if 1440p is not gonna work for you there. i have a 1650 super and use a 144hz 1080p screen. the AOC C24G1 for when i turn a game on. i don't play AAA shooters and such so i easily hit the 144 fps level for most of what i play.

The 1070 is probably not a great 1440p card, at least for really demanding games. But I figure that whenever I upgrade to a new card I will be 1440p ready. I have never used a 1440p screen before, so I don't really know what it adds to productivity. I've gotten by fine with 1080p so it isn't a requirement, but the added real estate from the higher resolution would probably be nice.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i often wonder if a single large 4k screen would be better than the 3 1080p screens i run. so it's a very valid thought you have there.

i know my gpu will push it for what i do other than games but i've just not willing to spend the cash right now. i wonder what it would look like with a few vm's on the same screen though the smaller size would probably annoy me. i have 3 24" screens and 1/4 of even a 32" 4k screen is smaller than i am used to now.

don't think i'd use the word stupid to describe getting a 1440p screen. but rather a personal choice with good and bad points that you have considered and made a decision you're happy with :)

in the end it's all about if you are happy with it. who cares what i or others think? i'm not the one who in the end has to use whatever you get.

Solution

TK31

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011
I've got a 1440p 165hz monitor paired with a 2070 Super and it struggles in single player, graphically intense games @ 1440p. What i mean by struggle is, it doesnt even come close to half the 165hz i have, but still playable 60-70fps. Considering you have the 1070, it may dip lower than that more closer to say 30-40fps, or maybe even 50!

I would personally go good 1080p screens. whether you decide 4K is for you or 1440P later on, prices would have come down and we would have GPU's sufficient enough to handle those resolutions at 60hz+ without having to sell a kidney