Question Would it be fine if I used a 4 pin to 6 pin cable (female to male) to power a gpu?

moehamm

Reputable
Jul 5, 2019
I have this GPU with 2 6pin connectors, the PSU can power it but has only 1 6 pin connector. If I used that cable would it be considered a problem? Or am I good to go?

DSzymborski

Titan
This is almost always a hard no. As Boju notes, you'll have to tell us the exact PSU for anyone to say if it's the extremely rare exception; I can't think of any PSU that only has a single six-pin connector that you'd ever want to use with a discrete GPU.

moehamm

Reputable
Jul 5, 2019
This is almost always a hard no. As Boju notes, you'll have to tell us the exact PSU for anyone to say if it's the extremely rare exception; I can't think of any PSU that only has a single six-pin connector that you'd ever want to use with a discrete GPU.
I'm trying to get an old PC live again.
It's Cooler Master elite power 460w, I mean it is powerful enough for the gpu (I think! correct me if I'm wrong, the GPU is the 160w GTX 460 oc)
It's a prebuilt OEM on it's own (without the dGPU) doesn't need that great power. I mean a new PSU and not a power hungry GPU are the main choice, but I'm working on what is available and don't want to spend that much, it's not the main PC after all.

Truckerlenny

Great
May 20, 2019
I have this GPU with 2 6pin connectors, the PSU can power it but has only 1 6 pin connector. If I used that cable would it be considered a problem? Or am I good to go?
i would say that it wouldnt work. i would suggest picking up a solid quality psu for cheap lots out there for cheap dont need to go crazy expensive. then you are fine.