[SOLVED] Would it be ok if I run the PSU at it's limit?

tim_epyc

Prominent
Oct 2, 2018
I currently have a 400W be quiet! System Power 9 and want to upgrade my GPU to a 2060. I used be quiet!'s PSU calculator and it said that the PSU would be running at ~94%. Would this be a problem or could I run it like that?

Solution
Well if u start experience boot loops or freezes u need to change. There is some worst cases 1. ur psu will overheat and reduce its lifespawn 2. the psu goes bad and dmg mobo,ram,etc . 3 it catches fire. Companies and ppl that work with tech all day always recommend headroom in the psu and never cheap out cause its the heart of the pc all the voltages start from here. My personal opinion take a 550 or 650 watt for 2060 it might seems too much but as they say better safe than sorry.Also its always good to have a 2nd psu in case of troubleshooting.
That's not a good idea. Would you run your car at 94% of full throttle for hours on end? You usually want 20% head room which would be 80% PSU usage and if the 400W PSU is very old it won't hold up for long. You may consider upgrading just because of the age if it is very old. I always buy a new PSU for a new build anyway.

Everything in the box relies on smooth, stable power so it's worth the expense.

AngelJin

Commendable
Jun 19, 2020
Well if u start experience boot loops or freezes u need to change. There is some worst cases 1. ur psu will overheat and reduce its lifespawn 2. the psu goes bad and dmg mobo,ram,etc . 3 it catches fire. Companies and ppl that work with tech all day always recommend headroom in the psu and never cheap out cause its the heart of the pc all the voltages start from here. My personal opinion take a 550 or 650 watt for 2060 it might seems too much but as they say better safe than sorry.Also its always good to have a 2nd psu in case of troubleshooting.

Last edited:
Solution