[SOLVED] Would only using 4+4 CPU power on MOBO with 8+4 connector not allow for RAM overclock?

tlongenb

Honorable
Nov 6, 2016
Hello all,

I just upgraded my PC to a Ryzen 3800X in an Asus B550-A motherboard from an i7-6700k in an MSI Z170A SLI Plus mobo. I have 32 GB of Corsair Vengeance Pro (3200MHz) RAM and I was hoping the mobo switch would allow me to run the RAM at 3200MHz since the previous mobo had no XMP settings in the BIOS. I've followed what I believe to be the correct settings from other online forums. From the BIOS I'm selecting Ai Tweaker>Ai Overclock Tuner>D.O.C.P, Memory Frequency > DDR4-3200MHz, and DRAM Voltage is set to 1.35000. After I save the changes and reset, it fails to POST 3 times and then throws me back to the BIOS.

Now I'm wondering if the issue is with my Power Supply. I didn't realize that this new MOBO had an 8+4 CPU Power connector whereas my current EVGA 650GQ power supply only comes with a 4+4 connector. Is this issue here that I'm missing some BIOS settings or do I need a better power supply?

Solution
Not sure if you listed it as in you set them yourself, or if that's what D.O.C.P. set; but do not set frequency or voltage, D.O.C.P. will set them automatically. You might try resetting your BIOS to default settings, then enable D.O.C.P. without touching anything else. See if that works. I've noticed the same issue here and there when I switched to AMD from Intel. I have Asus X470 with DDR4 3200. Sometimes I have to try DOCP a couple times before it wants to act right.
Not sure if you listed it as in you set them yourself, or if that's what D.O.C.P. set; but do not set frequency or voltage, D.O.C.P. will set them automatically. You might try resetting your BIOS to default settings, then enable D.O.C.P. without touching anything else. See if that works. I've noticed the same issue here and there when I switched to AMD from Intel. I have Asus X470 with DDR4 3200. Sometimes I have to try DOCP a couple times before it wants to act right.

Last edited:
Solution

TRENDING THREADS