[SOLVED] Would removing the CMOS, revert the bios back to it's default version?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GurkiratSingh

Honorable
Sep 30, 2015
So I was wondering how I can revert back to the default version of the bios. Would removing the CMOS cell do it? Or I have to find the default version and install it instead. I updated my bios in the past, that's why I am asking.

Solution
There are 2 versions. The M2N68-AM Plus and the M2N68-AM Se2. Pretty much identical in almost every respect, except when it comes to bios.

You'll need to have a little patience with us, as we see multiple occasions where ppl go to websites with incomplete info and try and flash a version 5 bios onto a version 1 motherboard (gigabyte is really good for that) and end up if not bricking the bios, but making it impossible to fix without an actual physical chip change. And they have no clue that they did it.

It's not hard to miss the 'plus' and grab Se2 by mistake if you do a quick Google or surfing around the Asus website. Have to admit that in the past, it's entirely possible you did slap the Se2 bios in there by mistake, you were half...

GurkiratSingh

Honorable
Sep 30, 2015
Nope @CountMike Afudos just refuses to work even after finding a very new version of it somehow. I'm trying some other methods meanwhile. If you have other suggestions let me know.

It gives that 32/64 bit error, meaning it can only work on 32 bit systems as mine is 64 bit. For those reading this post in future who may not know, this is what I'm talking about exactly -
rSqdAbW.jpg

Nope @CountMike Afudos just refuses to work even after finding a very new version of it somehow. I'm trying some other methods meanwhile. If you have other suggestions let me know.

It gives that 32/64 bit error, meaning it can only work on 32 bit systems as mine is 64 bit. For those reading this post in future who may not know, this is what I'm talking about exactly -
rSqdAbW.jpg
Problem is in making bootable USB, try like this. https://driverscollection.com/_4401...Vista-64-bit-Windows-7-Windows-XP-64-bit-free

GurkiratSingh

Honorable
Sep 30, 2015
That won't work. I've already tried the exact same version. But just so you don't yell at me, I went ahead, downloaded it and tried, no it still doesn't work. I even found a version 5.07.01 from AMI themselves, you can say I stumbled upon it somehow. I don't have number like 238, 241, like on these files. But that one is definitely more recent. These files were created in 2008 and the one from AMI is from 2015, still gave the same error. So Afudos is a dead end.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Just wondering why you think you need a prior version of bios. Those AM2+ mobo's have been done and gone forever ago, any bugs long since sorted or given up on. A prior bios version rarely often works since any bug fixes change the firmware code in a usually irreversible way.

If the original bios had code XYZ and it was found to be buggy, an update bios will contain instructions to replace XYZ with ABC fix. A prior version will not contain instructions to change ABC to XYZ, or delete ABC, it only contains XYZ.

Firmware isn't software, so it won't allow changes to itself, that's an anti-virus, maliscios code kinda prevention, it blocks everything from trying to change it from outside sources, unless permissions are given in the bios instructions. AMD isn't about to spend time and resources to amend dead socket bios to allow rewriting of ABC with XYZ, undoing any bug fixes they worked hard to find in the first place.

That was the big deal about Intel and Spectre, the hacker/author found or bypassed the permissions backdoor, creating havoc on a firmware scale.

GurkiratSingh

Honorable
Sep 30, 2015
The motherboard I'm using is Asus M2N68-AM Plus. When trying to downgrade the bios via Asus EZ Flash utility (I download different versions of bios I could find), the ones that were incompatible showed this error - "ROM ID in the file is incompatible with existing BIOS!", the ones that were comptible but older showed this error - "Version in ROM file is older than existing board!" But that's it.

I don't see any options or settings I can change to bypass these errors or force install these versions. At least the keyboard buttons showed by the software are just to navigate to the .rom files. If someone know of any secret buttons I can clack to open settings of this software, let me know.

Other than that, I've tried softwares like afudos, winflash etc. I've tried different versions of afudos and even the latest vresion from AMI's(american megatrends') own websbite as well, but it just isn't supported in 64 bit windows. As for winflash, when I was looking for the MyLogo (another pain in the ass to find) software, I saw winflash bundled in it. That version didn't work even after trying different compatibility options. Other than that, I download the latest version of winflash but that didn't run as well. Saw somewhere that errors related to it might be cause of visual c++ as I've seen those errors with games before. Downloaded the dll, fixed that error but couldn't fix another error after that even after installing VC++ 2012 x64/x86 versions. Even after restart, it's still the same thing.

Still, I'm trying to find some way and help is appreciated.

The motherboard I'm using is Asus M2N68-AM Plus. When trying to downgrade the bios via Asus EZ Flash utility (I download different versions of bios I could find), the ones that were incompatible showed this error - "ROM ID in the file is incompatible with existing BIOS!", the ones that were comptible but older showed this error - "Version in ROM file is older than existing board!" But that's it.

I don't see any options or settings I can change to bypass these errors or force install these versions. At least the keyboard buttons showed by the software are just to navigate to the .rom files. If someone know of any secret buttons I can clack to open settings of this software, let me know.

Other than that, I've tried softwares like afudos, winflash etc. I've tried different versions of afudos and even the latest vresion from AMI's(american megatrends') own websbite as well, but it just isn't supported in 64 bit windows. As for winflash, when I was looking for the MyLogo (another pain in the ass to find) software, I saw winflash bundled in it. That version didn't work even after trying different compatibility options. Other than that, I download the latest version of winflash but that didn't run as well. Saw somewhere that errors related to it might be cause of visual c++ as I've seen those errors with games before. Downloaded the dll, fixed that error but couldn't fix another error after that even after installing VC++ 2012 x64/x86 versions. Even after restart, it's still the same thing.

Still, I'm trying to find some way and help is appreciated.
The question is what model is the board you may be trying to install the wrong rev there the original rev1 bsically the 2nd rev2.02g or whatever

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
There are 2 versions. The M2N68-AM Plus and the M2N68-AM Se2. Pretty much identical in almost every respect, except when it comes to bios.

You'll need to have a little patience with us, as we see multiple occasions where ppl go to websites with incomplete info and try and flash a version 5 bios onto a version 1 motherboard (gigabyte is really good for that) and end up if not bricking the bios, but making it impossible to fix without an actual physical chip change. And they have no clue that they did it.

It's not hard to miss the 'plus' and grab Se2 by mistake if you do a quick Google or surfing around the Asus website. Have to admit that in the past, it's entirely possible you did slap the Se2 bios in there by mistake, you were half asleep or in a hurry or distracted, and now trying to stick/revert a Plus bios is giving the mobo fits and you get errors.

In my experience, there's actually very few bios errors with then current software. Most bios errors happen with newer software, newer equipment etc that the bios/drivers weren't originally setup to deal with.

Which is why I asked, why the need to revert to older? It's highly unlikely going to fix anything or change the bios in a fundamental way allowing something that doesn't currently work to suddenly work. The only time that happens is with software that requires a specific bios revision and that practice was halted years ago as the software was made redundant after a few months and a bug fix revision.

Changing a band-aid is one thing, but reopening a wound just so you can apply a band-aid is something else entirely, even if the end result looks the same.

Trying to help, but without any background info, my only conclusion is exactly what happens with current Ryzens, they can update bios to a specific point, after that point any further updates change the bios fundamentally and are permanent, no reverse situation possible. Just from what's been said, that looks to be the case, there's no way to go backwards now.

Reactions: white.a.drew
Solution

GurkiratSingh

Honorable
Sep 30, 2015
@Karadjgne There is a difference. That's a plus and se2, different names, not different versions like some GB mobo, for ex: Same name r1, same name r2, same name r3 and so on.

All I can say is "I'm not one of those people". If even after all this time, you think I'm an idiot, then that's on you.

The mobo's software is smart enough to not let one brick it. The bios that were incompatible with mobo were from ionsi, in your language "another version but the same thing". It doesn't even allow older bios to be written. So IDK what you are even talking about.

As for the softwares they don't work cause they were designed for older OSs or older version of OSs.

It doesn't matter if I get the same result, I just want to see if I can complete the process. If you can't help me, that is fine by me.

Directly from the Asus BIOS download page:
Version 1402

2010/03/30 546.1 KBytes

M2N68-AM Plus 1402 BIOS
Support new CPUs. Please refer to our website:http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

Note: It is not able to flash BIOS back to former version after update BIOS to this version or later. (Emphasis mine)

If you have any version later than this you cannot revert to an older BIOS.

Reactions: white.a.drew
@Karadjgne There is a difference. That's a plus and se2, different names, not different versions like some GB mobo, for ex: Same name r1, same name r2, same name r3 and so on.

All I can say is "I'm not one of those people". If even after all this time, you think I'm an idiot, then that's on you.

The mobo's software is smart enough to not let one brick it. The bios that were incompatible with mobo were from ionsi, in your language "another version but the same thing". It doesn't even allow older bios to be written. So IDK what you are even talking about.

As for the softwares they don't work cause they were designed for older OSs or older version of OSs.

It doesn't matter if I get the same result, I just want to see if I can complete the process. If you can't help me, that is fine by me.
umm my dude a lot of us think we are smart then the avg bear but when it comes down to it. I can be stairing at a peace of paper with all the info i needed, however the way asus has things typed our on their website you think you are clicking what you need or want. However are clicking 5 years back. they are horrible at labeling things a lot of the time

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Directly from the Asus BIOS download page:

If you have any version later than this you cannot revert to an older BIOS.
Exactly why the official link was provided. Waiting for the OP to come back.

Reverting to an earlier BIOS rarely corrects much of anything. This ancient rig likely has other issues, based on age alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.