[SOLVED] Would restricting iGPU to use 1GB or 512MB ram cause any problems?

Elros

Reputable
BANNED
Dec 16, 2020
Hello.

People who use the same laptop as I do unlock their bios and set the VRAM separated for iGPU vega 512MB or 1GB from stock 2GB.
Would that cause any problem while browsing or watching 2k movies etc?

Regards.

Solution
I see.
Total of 16. I have dedicated 1GB but feel like this isn't enough when I open multiple youtube/twitch tabs it starts shuttering, on the other hand, 15GB is barely enough especially when I play AAA games with having the second monitor on for mails and other stuff.
That's why I'm trying to figure out the best.

By the way, for some reason windows is using the igpu's VRAM around %40-50 without any VRAM required application. Why do you think it happens?

Hm, it's definitely not the 'cheap fix' you're looking for, but you could upgrade to 2x 16 GB of RAM for a total of 32 GB (that's what I upgraded my current laptop to). It's not that expensive and it would give you enough memory both to max out your iGPU and still...
Hello.

People who use the same laptop as I do unlock their bios and set the VRAM separated for iGPU vega 512MB or 1GB from stock 2GB.
Would that cause any problem while browsing or watching 2k movies etc?

Regards.

I used to have a laptop with an iGPU (about 3 years ago) and I would get stuttering and hitching when scrolling through a PDF or when browsing on certain webpages. It wasn't until I increased the amount of VRAM the iGPU could use to the maximum allowable that these issues stopped. Thus, I generally wouldn't recommend to anyone that they decrease the amount of VRAM the iGPU can use.

Elros

Reputable
BANNED
Dec 16, 2020
I used to have a laptop with an iGPU (about 3 years ago) and I would get stuttering and hitching when scrolling through a PDF or when browsing on certain webpages. It wasn't until I increased the amount of VRAM the iGPU could use to the maximum allowable that these issues stopped. Thus, I generally wouldn't recommend to anyone that they decrease the amount of VRAM the iGPU can use.

What was the total VRAM afterward?

Elros

Reputable
BANNED
Dec 16, 2020
The maximum I could increase it to was 512 MB, but keep in mind that applications are increasing the amount of VRAM they are most happy with all the time. I'd definitely stick with at least 1 GB; how much total system RAM does your computer have?
I see.
Total of 16. I have dedicated 1GB but feel like this isn't enough when I open multiple youtube/twitch tabs it starts shuttering, on the other hand, 15GB is barely enough especially when I play AAA games with having the second monitor on for mails and other stuff.

By the way, for some reason windows is using the igpu's VRAM around %40-50 without any VRAM required application. Why do you think it happens?

I see.

Hm, it's definitely not the 'cheap fix' you're looking for, but you could upgrade to 2x 16 GB of RAM for a total of 32 GB (that's what I upgraded my current laptop to). It's not that expensive and it would give you enough memory both to max out your iGPU and still have plenty for everything else.

At this moment, my RTX 2080 (in my other PC) shows 21% VRAM utilization (about 1.7 GB) and its just sitting there with one window open and my Chrome browser idling in the background. As long as your PC is booted up and has something that its showing on the screen, its using VRAM. The amount will vary depending on what you are doing (and shoot up significantly when using a graphically intensive application) but there's always some utilization. The fact that you're seeing 40-50% utilization while not running anything particularly graphically intensive shows just how little you seem to have available proportionately to what you need.

Solution

Elros

Reputable
BANNED
Dec 16, 2020
Hm, it's definitely not the 'cheap fix' you're looking for, but you could upgrade to 2x 16 GB of RAM for a total of 32 GB (that's what I upgraded my current laptop to). It's not that expensive and it would give you enough memory both to max out your iGPU and still have plenty for everything else.

At this moment, my RTX 2080 (in my other PC) shows 21% VRAM utilization (about 1.7 GB) and its just sitting there with one window open and my Chrome browser idling in the background. As long as your PC is booted up and has something that its showing on the screen, its using VRAM. The amount will vary depending on what you are doing (and shoot up significantly when using a graphically intensive application) but there's always some utilization. The fact that you're seeing 40-50% utilization while not running anything particularly graphically intensive shows just how little you seem to have available proportionately to what you need.

Thanks, Chief.
Will think of upgrading.
Might be also because I have downgraded 2k resolution into 1k via Amd virtual screen resolution, so maybe there is just too much to handle for the igpu at even iddle.