would this be wise?

glytch5

Reputable
Mar 22, 2017
So... I have an idea that I want to do with my Phanteks p400 case.

I really want a dual 140 AIO, or dual 120. I'm thinking a single 120 won't be much better than the air coolers I use... and I do not like the idea of a dual AIO blowing warm air into a case that already does not have very good thermals.

So the top of this case supports a 2x140 radiator, or fans. of course with this case there is absolutely no room for a dual 140mm radiator mounted inside... but what about outside?

If I put the dual 140mm radiators on top of the case, put two fans on there for a pull config and put fan grills on there, that would (work)

The next issue is the fan and pump cables... I have a cooler master expansion slot which has big holes and cable holders that would easily allow me to route the wires through the back of the case, and not look very messy inside. the fan header would not have to go far, and then I could run a cable extension into the case, through my cut outs above my mobo, and around to my pump header on the mobo on...

Would this looks completely stupid? I was thinking thermaltake riing LED fans on the radiator... what do you guys thing? Ever tried this?

Solution
Personally I think it would look horrible, but whatever takes your fancy, the thing with all in one's is parts are not removable, they are sealed units, so how are you going to get the tubes from the outside of the case to the inside of the case with the pump and block attached? You 2ould have to cut a gaping great hole in the case to get them through.

The alternative is mount the radiator on the inside, after all, it's a radiator and radiates heat upwards, cut some fan grill holes in the top of the case, there are temples for this all over the net, and just stick the fans on the outside.

Failing that, sell the case as someone else mentioned, shipping costs get passed onto the buyer anyway and get a more suitable case. I've sold...

glytch5

Reputable
Mar 22, 2017
No just one dual rad AIO for the CPU. I just realized stupidly that I would need to run the hose out as well.
I could I guess put just the fans on the outside of the top, and keep the radiator outside... i'm afraid the fans wouldn't get much push that way since they are not directly on the radiator.
Idk... this case just doesn't get good thermals and it irritates me. Putting a rad inside bringing warm air into the case, and at the same time remove the intake fans to do that just seems like a bad idea. My video card is a hot one... 1080 factory OC ROG STRIX with the 11gdps memory... fast card but it puts out a TON of heat. I want to eliminate the CPU heat inside of my case... wish I could just fit a rad on top!

Seanie280672

Estimable
Mar 19, 2017
Personally I think it would look horrible, but whatever takes your fancy, the thing with all in one's is parts are not removable, they are sealed units, so how are you going to get the tubes from the outside of the case to the inside of the case with the pump and block attached? You 2ould have to cut a gaping great hole in the case to get them through.

The alternative is mount the radiator on the inside, after all, it's a radiator and radiates heat upwards, cut some fan grill holes in the top of the case, there are temples for this all over the net, and just stick the fans on the outside.

Failing that, sell the case as someone else mentioned, shipping costs get passed onto the buyer anyway and get a more suitable case. I've sold loads of old cases on ebay, one person's junk is another person's treasure.

Solution