[SOLVED] Would using a molex to sata be safe?

hephaistos

Reputable
Feb 23, 2018
Hello, guys. I am planning on getting a 500gb hdd, but I already have an ssd and an other hdd plugged in. Now unfortunately my cx450 has very short cables, and I was just able to plug in my two drives, but I don't think I can plug a new one in with those sata power connectors. But of course I have a bunch of molex connectors which are nice and long, so I could plug in anything I want with ease. I have a few molex to sata adapters sitting in my drawer, and since these are just simple cables, could these cause any problem? Would it be safe? Thanks guyzz

Solution
Idk why they included them.
While your psu is good quality, generally if a psu doesnr have the required power connectors for a card, it shouldnt be used with that card.

Anyhow, a GTX970 requires a 500w at minimum, so id just buy a card that only requires a 450w, like a 1060 or 1660ti.
A molex to sata adapter, as long as it is of decent quality, should not cause an issue.

Sata drives do not draw a lot of current, and can easily be powered by molex. I actually had an external hdd powered by a molex to sata adapter working reliably for about half of a year.

The issue with adapters is the molex to pcie adapters. Molex isnt designed to deliver a ton of power, so it may have issues when a gpu is pulling a ton of power from molex.

The molex to sata adapter will work.

hephaistos

Reputable
Feb 23, 2018
A molex to sata adapter, as long as it is of decent quality, should not cause an issue.

Sata drives do not draw a lot of current, and can easily be powered by molex. I actually had an external hdd powered by a molex to sata adapter working reliably for about half of a year.

The issue with adapters is the molex to pcie adapters. Molex isnt designed to deliver a ton of power, so it may have issues when a gpu is pulling a ton of power from molex.

The molex to sata adapter will work.
Thanks, I might be using that, so if I plan on using a gtx 970 with my cx450, is it not safe to use the 6 pin from the psu, and the other 6 pin with molex to pcie? I know it doesn't draw form the 12v rail but still. Why do gpu manufacturers include the adapters?

Idk why they included them.
While your psu is good quality, generally if a psu doesnr have the required power connectors for a card, it shouldnt be used with that card.

Anyhow, a GTX970 requires a 500w at minimum, so id just buy a card that only requires a 450w, like a 1060 or 1660ti.

Solution