[SOLVED] Would you advise installing my External HDDs inside my PC case?

jawadd

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2013
Specs:
  1. Motherboard: Asus Z97M-PLUS Micro ATX LGA1150
  2. CPU: i5-4690K
  3. PSU: EVGA 500 W 80+ Bronze Certified
  4. Main Drive: Crucial M500 240 GB 2.5" SSD
  5. Additional Drives: 2× 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drives

I have a few 2-5 TB externals that I don't need as externals anymore (I've already backed up into other external drives + cloud), and I could use storage expansion.

Is there any risk in installing them in my PC (taking them out of their enclosures and connecting them)? Do I have to format them, or will Windows recognise them/plug and play?

I'd really appreciate some guidance and instructions. I've got a Cool Master K280 case. My external drives are My Passport, One Touch and Elements (acquired in different years though). I'm unfortunately running Windows 8.1, I have to mention.

Last edited:
Solution
Is there any risk in installing them in my PC
many externally housed drives use special types of encryption to keep you from accessing them on a system without their proper housing.
you could actually end up damaging the drive/housing and not being able access them at all.

what type of data are you wanting to use them for as internal drives?
if only personal data there should be no benefit to using them internally. would actually be a con that they are no longer portable.
if games or software you'd be much better off just installing SSD(s).
I'm unfortunately running Windows 8.1, I have to mention
if a licensed installation you should still be able to upgrade to 10 or 11 for free.
Is there any risk in installing them in my PC
many externally housed drives use special types of encryption to keep you from accessing them on a system without their proper housing.
you could actually end up damaging the drive/housing and not being able access them at all.

what type of data are you wanting to use them for as internal drives?
if only personal data there should be no benefit to using them internally. would actually be a con that they are no longer portable.
if games or software you'd be much better off just installing SSD(s).
I'm unfortunately running Windows 8.1, I have to mention
if a licensed installation you should still be able to upgrade to 10 or 11 for free.

Last edited:
Solution

jawadd

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2013
I'm actually planning on making it (basically) a local NAS, so I could access my files via my local network on any device. Even access my videos on my TV that way.

The externals that I specifically want to install mostly contain old videos. They're already backed up, so I'm not risking much. But I guess if it won't work there's no need.

Also, I thought that my CPU doesn't support W111?

Is there any risk in installing them in my PC (taking them out of their enclosures and connecting them)?
Do I have to format them, or will Windows recognise them/plug and play?
Risk is - you may accidentally damage those drives. It may not be too easy to remove them from enclosures.
Probably will have to reformat them too.
I've got a Cool Master K280 case. My external drives are My Passport, One Touch and Elements.
Those external drives - are they all 2.5" form factor?
I don't think your pc case has any support mounts for 2.5"drives. You'll need adapters for those (2.5"to 3.5"adapter).

1663036-xl-a.jpg