Would you buy a GPU used for Bitcoin mining?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToineF

Reputable
Apr 28, 2014
So I want to buy a new Graphic Card. I saw a few used one on kijiji that has been used from 2 to 6 months of bitcoin mining. Obviously I could save 50/60 $ easily.

I'm not sure what mining does to a GPU, does it really kill it? Should I stay away from it or should I take the chance?

What do you guys think?

Cheers

frillybob101

Honorable
Apr 20, 2013
I would stay away. Just think 6 months of 24/7 use at 100 % load. That has got to kill it somehow. With gaming your at a variable load for only a couple hours at a time.

whitie63

Honorable
May 22, 2013
It will have a reduce life however if it is one of the variety that have a warranty based on serial number (msi, evga, and i think asus) you are protected in event of a failure during the length of the warranty.

Spongeworthy

Honorable
Nov 1, 2013
I've said this before, and I'll say it again. Variable loads and temperature deltas are what kills cards. A constant load would theoretically be more safe for your cards since it wouldn't be under stress from the rapid heating and cooling that goes on like when you play games for example. Cards that die during mining are from neglect, and poor airflow. The one thing I'd be concerned about is the fan.

WhiteSnake91

Distinguished
I've often wondered the same thing, I see hd 7870s and r9 270x go for about 100 and hd7950 go for 150 at the most......if it's a dead card you should get a refund from ebay/paypal anyway.

I might pick up a decent used one to see what my core 2 quad rig in the closet can still do >_> , dunno if I should pair the old thing with anything more than an r7 260x though haha.

hd 7850s go for under 100 bucks easily on ebay too. hmmm....it's worth a try. I've been looking for a cheap used 750ti too >_>

can somebody concretely say which GPUs warranty is based on serial number? As far as I know the post above is incorrect in stating MSI does it, I don't think they do...but I could be wrong.

I know EVGA does and read Gigabyte does too, and XFX

whitie63

Honorable
May 22, 2013

I just sent in an msi card bought used and there was no request for a receipt any card bought after 2010 has a 3yr warranty and the date of manufacture is based off of the serial number.

http://us.msi.com/page/warranty

example serial number with date code oulined

http://service.msicomputer.com/msi_user/barcodeImage/MB_1_datecode.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.