Discussion Would you overclock a new CPU to its maximum on a daily use basis?

If you have a overclocking capable CPU especially on the Intel 'K' CPU's side then yes and why wouldn't you as you have paid extra. If you are gaming or doing pro work like rendering and encoding and time matters to you then overclocking can help here too. On the AMD Ryzen side especially the new 3000 series no not really as they are already doing a great job at maximising clocks....

On Intel 8700K 9600k, 9700K and 9900K et all...there is a lot of headroom and it is fairly easy to overclock and add quite a bit to the CPU performance for free. As an example on my 8700K, I am running at 4.9GHz all core with 1.278v which allows me to run cool and ultimately this is what is key..to get the maximum performance at the lowest voltage. That is a lot of extra performance for free. With Intel the top voltage is roughly 1.4v and I personally have my own hard limit at 1.35v. Most of the 8th and 9th gen K CPU's have the capability to hit 5GHz or even more provided you have adequate cooling...

On Ryzen 3000 series AMD have already maximised the clocks out of the box and it's own Performance Boost software does the job very well boosting the CPU's to max or near max and you will not get a lot of headroom by manually overclocking.

As to sound issues again that is just down to how you mange the heat and with todays AIO's and top end Air coolers with much better fans that run quiet, sound is far less of an issue. I run a 360mm AIO and all my fans are at quiet and during gaming you cannot hear the system..If you are of course bench testing and looking to get the very max of course you will want the fans to ramp to max and then yes you will hear it but for normal day to day use overclocked like gaming absolutely no issues providing you have a decent setup...

Bottom line, yes it is worth overclocking as today's CPU's also have great self protection systems and will throttle/downclock to protect the CPU should you go overboard or make a mistake. I have been running overclocked CPU's from day one and have yet to encounter an issue and that is with the likes of the 2600K which ran for years overclocked, then the 6700K and now the 8700K...Just keep it at a sensible vcore and cool properly and you will be fine..

Last edited:
Depends on what's considered 'maximum' for the clock speed I suppose, but yes, I would...and do.

Modern CPU's and motherboards are very power considerate, even when heavily overclocked, by lowering voltage under light loads. And it will sleep entire cores when idle. Even if for just a few dozen mS at a time it adds up to keep the processor cool.

While typing out emails, light photo editing, watching videos and other light tasks when browsing the web, even with 10 or so tabs open in two or three or so FF windows, the fan stays barely above a whisper with processor temps hovering 5-10 degrees above ambient. Why not have the processing power on tap when I want it?

But talking about a NEW CPU adds a different dimension. Assuming the upgrade was significant on it's own at stock clocks there's something to be said for simply enjoying it for a while. Once it's showing some weakness and you feel you need a little bit more, only then go for the daily overclock to bring back it's lustre.

Last edited:
Reactions: vMax
So it's good to have 8700K. What sort of temperature are you getting @ 4.9GHz?

Right now I have 4 Google tabs open and am watching you tube and typing and my temps are between 26 and 29 degrees though please note I live in the UK and have a 360mm AIO with a great airflow case in the H500P mesh with 2 x 200mm fans bringing cool air in. Under load in the likes of Aida 64 Extreme I hit just around 60 to 65 degrees C and Prime95 small FFT's and top out at around 75 to 80 degrees...

Edit gaming at around 50 to 55 degrees C...

though if buying now for gaming I would look to the 9700K...

Last edited: