WoW: Boy Finds 42-Year-Old Woman 'Soulmate'

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mavroxur

Distinguished
[citation][nom]weegee64[/nom]For someone who stays home from school to play WoW, this kid must have had almost no computer skills. He didn't delete the MSN chat logs, or password his computer so his parent(s) couldn't look at his online activities. He deserves to get caught for that amount of stupidity.[/citation]

That's like saying people that drive cars should be able to rebuild the engine if the need arises.... That makes no sense. Rethink your post and try it again.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]wymer100[/nom]The enticement originated in Texas so that's where she crossed the legal line. Sounds like a lot of people dropped the ball on parenting this kid. They both need help. As for people cheering, what if it was a 42yo man enticing a 16yo girl? People would talk about much of a perversion of the 42yo man.[/citation]
Kid lied about his age in the first place. How can she know?
Only a year ago the age of consent in Canada was only 14...
I would congratulate this good on almost getting some.
If I found out my mother was searching through my private chat logs, I'd flip...
Let the woman go.

As the song goes, "Older woman, know how to treat a man."

tenor77

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]anamaniac[/nom]Kid lied about his age in the first place. How can she know?Only a year ago the age of consent in Canada was only 14...I would congratulate this good on almost getting some.If I found out my mother was searching through my private chat logs, I'd flip...Let the woman go.As the song goes, "Older woman, know how to treat a man."[/citation]

I'm hardly appauled by a 16 year old getting some. Hell most people have sex by this point, or damn near. Truth is this kid, as he is still a kid, will hardly be scarred by all this. When you get down to it, that's what the law is trying to protect. The publicity will do so much more damage to him than she ever could have.

As a guy I can relate to the kid. At 16 I'd have had the opinion of "Man that's awesome" to the whole thing. I had a few fantasies about some of my teachers. Had this English teacher who wore these skirts...anyway, had it happend it wouldn't have changed me as a person. The thoughts were already there and for guys at least some things are set in motion by that age.

I am worried about the woman though. There's obviously something wrong with her and prison isn't the answer. She needs conseling, not jailtime. A 16 year old can only pretend a certain level of maturity, and she showed up for more than just sex. Women operate on an emotional level when it comes to relationships, and she was looking for a relationship. This wasn't a quickie to her or a pity f'ing. She literally thought somehow that they could work things out. I don't despise her, I pity her. Basically something isn't right upstairs.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
OK, so the age of consent is 16 in Canada but 17 in Texas.
She went to Canada so she is off the hook there but is arrested in Texas.

The drinking age in the UK is 18, so anyone who is aged 19 or 20 in Texas who goes to the UK and has a drink should be arrested when they return.

No? Dumbass stupid Texas authorities need to keep their fat stupid faces out of other peoples business when no crime has been commited.

Ephebus

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2008
[citation][nom]deadlockedworld[/nom]NO. He is a 16-year old CHILD. I know people dont think sexual abuse is as serious with boys... but this woman is still taking advantage of his innocence and manipulated him. This is wrong, not funny.[/citation]

You've gotta be the typical puritan sex scared American to write that. No wonder pregancy rates amongst teens in the US are almost 4 times the German rates and almost 7 times the Dutch rates, and the number of reported cases of DST's like Gonorrhea (the second most common DST in the US) are about 33 times higher than in the Netherlands.

http://www.advocatesforyouth.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=419&Itemid=177

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
Maybe we should have looked at the situation a bit more in-depth
"Unattractive ginger kid gets laid by desperate cougar, kid realises he will never get laid otherwise"
But the above statement rings very true as well, no bible-bashing weirdo should be selling sexual morals to the world, especially anyone who is Catholic considering the choir-boy molesting history of priests and the Pope's dogged refusal to condone the use of condoms, despite seeing Aids sweep millions of people to an early grave and the even more stupid "abstinence is the only way" arguement. We all know that will-power sucks, as anyone who has tried to quit smoking will confirm, so when abstinence fails you need a rubber in your pocket.

Religeon and sex education go together like grenades and fluffy rabbits. Keep out of the classroom, stay off the cable TV stations and stay the fuck away from my kids.

eccentric909

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
[citation][nom]gizmogamez[/nom]I was under the impression that even though the age of consent here is 16, that both parties still had to be under 18yo, and that if you had a case like this you can still charge the woman, since she is over 18y of age and he is a minor.however, i can understand that the cops here could of been willing to not charge her knowing (or having already talked with cops in Texas) that it would be easier and result in a harsher punishment if she was charged in Texas under "child enticement".I have heard of cops doing this before....[/citation]

No, that is not what age of consent means. Age of consent (in terms of sex) means the age at which a person is legally considered competent to give consent, as to sexual intercourse. Consent, meaning permission, to anyone else at or above the age of consent. When it comes to this, the law is pretty black and white and usually does not make exceptions. The age of consent in Michigan, is the same as in Canada, so I'm almost 100% certain that the law is the same.. and here it means if you're 16 or over, you can legally have sex with anyone else who gives you permission and is also 16 or over.

I also agree with those above saying Texas is over-stepping it's bounds. I could see a point if they were both from Texas and ran away to Canada, but that isn't what happened, nor did she bring him back to Texas. I understand she is being arrested for the chats, but again, the kid wasn't from Texas, nor even from this country. In his country it is legal for the two to engage in sexually explicit acts, that is what should matter.

But, we love to villianize people for sex (that is not considered "normal") in the US, so I'm pretty sure Texas thinks it's more than justified to put a mother of 4 in prison for having a relationship with the 16 year old kid.

Funny that in Texas, a 16 year old can be tried as an adult for some crimes, but that same 16 year old isn't able to consent to sex with an adult. It's not like this kid is innocent or was being taken advantage of, I'm pretty sure he knew full well what he was doing. How would 2 years, or for Texas 1 year (age of consent there being 17), really make a difference whether this kid is capable of deciding to have sex or not.

While others might find this gross or disgusting, that is just an opinion based upon your own morals. Not everyone lives by those exact same morals. Pretty much any 16 year old who hasn't lived the most sheltered of lives would know what they're getting into and are probably enticing the adult, every bit as much as the adult is enticing them. Was there any actual harm done? No. The only harm I see is two parents who never discipline their kid, and let him basically waste his life on a video game. That is the only real shameful part of this story, well that and Texas being incredibly over-zealous with their treatment of this woman.

In my opinion anyway... Your (the general you) mileage may vary.

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]pooflinger1[/nom]First, she did take the kid with her. They were spotted at a FUTURE SHOP. Future shop is the Canadian equivalent of Best Buy (and owned by them as well). Since the store ONLY exist in Canada, there is no way that they could have been spotted at one in the US, so she MUST have taken, or enticed the boy to go to Canada with her. The Canadian govt only said that since it was not illegal in Canada (since 16 is age of consent), that they would not press further charges. Had the boy been 15, she would probably have been charged in both the US and Canada since they were in both countries.The way the story reads, it says she was arrested on (during) the flight back home, which means she must have still been within the US since it would otherwise require extradition by the Canadian govt.And as for my last sentence, I was implying that if you bought it in that country, not if you just traveled. If that were the case, people would be getting arrested all the time for something they did in other countries.[/citation]

Your reading skill suck.

The boy IS Canadian, so she didnt: ''have taken, or enticed the boy to go to Canada with her.''...

bamslang

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2009
While this is gross and disturbing, I personally think the parents are equally as responsible as the lady who lured the kid. I just don't understand parents these days... "My son plays wow and doesn't go to school and there's nothing I can do."

Um... disconnect the internet in his room and stop paying for his subscription?

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]TommySch[/nom]Your reading skill suck.The boy IS Canadian, so she didnt: ''have taken, or enticed the boy to go to Canada with her.''...[/citation]
+1 brother, that dud really needs to learn to read, probably the same as the dud e in the story and never went to school so he could try and pick up cougars on the net.
[citation][nom]zipzoomflyhigh[/nom]Since all this happened online, and it's totally legal in her home country, why is she arrested? Did they actually do something in Texas that was illegal?[/citation]
Err, reading FAIL. She comes from Texas, he lives in Canada, she went to Canada. She goes back to Texas and is arrested. LEARN TO READ
[citation][nom]bamslang[/nom]I just don't understand parents these days... "My son plays wow and doesn't go to school and there's nothing I can do."Um... disconnect the internet in his room and stop paying for his subscription?[/citation]
If my kid did this I would dismantle his PC to it's sub-componants and give his ass a whooping he wouldn't forget in a hurry.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]santeana[/nom]....aaaaand I need to lear to read the rest of the comments before I post. I see someone has already said this.... sorry guys. I suck lol I'll take my licks now[/citation]
I bet that cougar got her licks... ;-)

G

rodney_ws... you fail: "irregardless" lol

Way to try to sound smart on your discussion of international law.

Antimatter79

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
If she had to tell the poor nerd what to say in a note to his parents, that should have been a clue as to his true age. The woman clearly has severe emotional problems, first for having explicit conversations BEFORE knowing the boy's true age for sure, and second for thinking his parents would actually be fine with the relationship, and third, for even being attracted to someone who spends all waking hours, not even going to school, just to play a game that he's not getting paid for. I'm guessing they were out shopping for expansion packs for WoW when they were spotted. Hopefully he had gotten enough "PvP" action with her to last him the next 8 to 10 years (assuming she doesn't get early release).

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]antimatter79[/nom]If she had to tell the poor nerd what to say in a note to his parents, that should have been a clue as to his true age.[/citation]
Not nessecarily.
I work IT at an educational facility. Our clients are between 15 and 63 - and you can easily find someone at 15 who acts more mature and thinks 'clearer' than some of those 22 year olds we've got running around. So age is exceptionally hard to guess over the interweb. I've played online games with kids where it took many hours of gameplay with them before I could get a feeling of their age (gunbound, wow etc). A wellspoken and reasonable 14 year old is indistinquishable from a 20 year old reasonable person. And a daft 22 year old could appear to be no more than 12 given the right circumstances ....

Status
Not open for further replies.