[SOLVED] Wraith Spire or AIO?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

TimH77

Reputable
Jul 21, 2017
Specifically a Rosewill 240mm vs the Wraith Spire that came with the Ryzen 7 2700 I'll be using.

I've got parts to upgrade my current PC and since I only need a new case and fans (will be upgrading the GPU from a 1050ti to a Quadro P2000 in the near future) I figured I'd take advantage of ther Mystic Light in the B450 Gaming Carbon Pro and do a full build for the first time.

I'll be using the matching fans and was thinking a Phanteks 350 case.

Reviews said the Spire cooler works well, but I figured if it's beneficial I may as well add an AIO while I'm putting it together. Thoughts or opinions?

Second question- I was figuring on two fans in the front of the case, one exhaust. Does the AIO replace those fans or is it in addition to the two front fans. I know I want to have a positive pressure setup.

I was hoping I could mount the AIO vertically to the right of the motherboard, but the case specs say radiator location is right behind/against/in place of the front fans.

Thanks,
Tim

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Ok. TDP is thermal design power. It's the power the cpu uses averaged across a series of specific apps at base clock speeds and factory default settings. No hyperthreading, no turbo or boist. The power used is mostly @ 5°C ± from the cpu temps with the stock cooling, so is adopted as basically the heat output as well, at base clocks, no hyperthreading, no turbo or boost. You can fully expect any decent sized cpu to far exceed its TDP in heat output with hyperthreading and/or turbo/boost enabled.

So if you want to game @ 55°C and have max temps @ 70°C ish, you'll need a cooler at least 2x TDP. Most budget 120mm towers are @ 140w, any 120mm aio is @ 140w. The larger, midgrade 120/140mm towers range from @ 150w to 200w. The bigger towers range from 200w-250w.

You need at least a budget 120mm aircooler, 120mm aio, the Wraith coolers run @ 120w-140w so will work fine.

Loud is a crock.

Corsair is the largest, and consequently most well known AIO vendor worldwide. The Corsair H100i is the single best selling AIO there is. And has been for years. It also had some of the single worst fans there was, beaten only by the H110/H115. Even Noctua cannot make a fan spinning at upto 2800rpm silent. Or even quiet. So the reputation of aios being loud started there and is passed on, and on, and on, usually by ppl who have either never owned an AIO or never owned anything but an old Corsair. It's a garbage reputation with no real basis in reality. Not now.

Fans make noise. Stick a set of Noctua 140mm on a 280mm aio, it'll run just as quiet as a NH-D15. Put a set of old Corsair SP140mm on a Noctua NH-D15 and it'll be just as loud as an old H115.

Personally, I'm quite a bit disappointed in my Cryorig R1 Ultimate. It gets worse temps and is considerably louder than my old 280mm NZXT Kraken X61, and I do miss the software control.

Reactions: TimH77