WSJ Reports Next-gen PlayStation Will Launch This Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

jazz84

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2010
I have no plans to purchase one, but if Sony actually has their next-gen offering ready to rock, the next Xbox can't be too far behind. Not planning on purchasing one of those either, but the launch titles could potentially include some long-awaited titles that could make their way to PC soon enough.

/wishful thinking from a Fallout junkie...

anxiousinfusion

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011
PS4 will feature more social gaming as well as changes to how the user interacts with the console.

I'm so glad I jumped ship from the sinking mess called consoles. I bet the launch title will be called Farm of Duty Field Waggleville: Party Pack Game of the Year Edition.

milesk182

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
I am excited for the next gen consoles because pc gamers like myself will get better looking ports but I am still excited for these consoles. I am not a fan boy by any means and will be looking to get a ps4 and nexbox for the exclusives such as halo, gears, forza, uncharted, infamous, god of war, etc. I don't like to miss out on good games because of some stupid fan ego. Ports like the upcoming dead space are just pathetic so hopefully this will push our pc hardware even more :)

mousseng

Honorable
Apr 13, 2012
[citation][nom]The-Darkening[/nom]Obsolete @ launch, I imagine... But oh well.[/citation]
Only if it launches after AMD launches its Sea Islands GPUs. Otherwise it's still current technology.

jn77

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
[citation][nom]iam2thecrowe[/nom]AMD GPU? hopefully we dont have driver issues and microstuttering.[/citation]
I can deal with drivers that need updating.... apparently you were not involved in this:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/01/nvidia-faulty-gpu-class-action-settlement-challenged-but-times/

Nvida lied about their GPU issues for something like 4 years until they were sued...... AMD admits when they have problems. You can stick with companies that lie about what their products can do.

Trialsking

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2007
Can't stand consoles, BUT this is good news for games! Now we won't have games based on 7 year old hardware. Console ports will be tolerable. Feel sorry for console fan boys, they are going to get hosed by game prices and hardware.

If I maded CoD for the PS4/720 I woould charge $70 and people would pay it...

mikenygmail

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
[citation][nom]Trialsking[/nom]Can't stand consoles, BUT this is good news for games! Now we won't have games based on 7 year old hardware. Console ports will be tolerable. Feel sorry for console fan boys, they are going to get hosed by game prices and hardware. If I maded CoD for the PS4/720 I woould charge $70 and people would pay it...[/citation]

Indeed, they will pay $65-$85 and we'll pay $10-$15 to download the PC port to our gaming rigs. :)

Spooderman

Honorable
Jan 13, 2013
[citation][nom]drapacioli[/nom]If the PS4 has anything less than a GPU equivalent to a 5870/GTX 480 in it I will be disappointed for the next "generation" of games, console and PC.[/citation]
That's some wishful thinking right there? A 480? nope.avi

"in time for Holiday 2013"
I believe it when it's official release date is anounced.
And even then I'm thinking this console could get delayed (Remember PS3's CPU?)

I think that it would take months just to manufacture the first consoles. I mean really they will need like 100,000 or some crazy high amount. And I'm sure there will be shortages...

Speaking of which... I saw Wii U consoles at Wallmart, just sitting there under the game case, I didn't care, no one else seemed to either. Obviously no shortage there... No one seems very interested in those aside from the Nintendo fanboys and the people that just can't live with out Zelda, Metroid and Mario.

All of that aside, I hope that it does come out this year. Although... I'm not sure I'll get one. For the last 6 months I've only been playing PC games and my PS3 has been used as a DVD/Netflix/Hulu box.

mikenygmail

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
[citation][nom]Spooderman[/nom]That's some wishful thinking right there? A 480? nope.avi[/citation]

It's AMD hardware, actually... so it makes no sense to list nvidia hardware.

Not sure if the following is accurate, but here's the rumor:

PS4 Specs Leaked Orbis Details and Release Date Rumors for Upcoming PlayStation 4
http://www.enstarz.com/articles/12502/20130131/ps4-specs-leaked-orbis-details-release-date-rumors-playstation.htm

"The Liverpool SOC features a custom implementation of AMD, fusion APU architecture (Accelerated Processing Unit) that provides good performance with low power consumption.

It reportedly also has an integrated CPU and GPU.

The CPU will have eight Jaguar cores at 1.6 Ghz, arranged as two "clusters," each cluster contains 4 cores and a shared 2MB L2 cache.

Its GPU will contain AMD's "R10XX" (Southern Islands) architecture, DirectX 11.1+ feature set, liverpool is an enhanced version of the architecture, 4 GB unified system memory and 176 GB/s with 3.5GB available to games.
Read more at http://www.enstarz.com/articles/12502/20130131/ps4-specs-leaked-orbis-details-release-date-rumors-playstation.htm#49X4JBMq4xYwij32.99"

mikenygmail

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
Take this info with a grain of salt, because the article also states:

"The PlayStation 4 will have an internal mass storage at 500 GB HDD and a RAM speed of 4GB."

HAHAHAHAHA!!

hakesterman

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
Gaming Consoles Don't need even half of the graphic power of a PC to make their games look and Run Great. We already know that the next Gen Systems are going to be 6X or Higher powerful so that is awesome. Anyone ranting about them not having high end cards in them are just ranting about nothing, once they see them in action they will be all in.......

blubbey

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2010
[citation][nom]hakesterman[/nom]Gaming Consoles Don't need even half of the graphic power of a PC to make their games look and Run Great. We already know that the next Gen Systems are going to be 6X or Higher powerful so that is awesome. Anyone ranting about them not having high end cards in them are just ranting about nothing, once they see them in action they will be all in.......[/citation]

Here's the thing. In 2011 at ECGC Nvidia predicted a 10x increase in GPU power by 2015 - http://www.gamersnexus.net/news-industry/548-nvidia-predicts-10x-gain-in-gpu-power-by-2015-ecgc-keynote . Let's assume it's about a 6-7x increase in today's power by 2016. A 7750 is about 4x the power of a 360. Although it's not the best comparison, I'll use TFLOPS to compare power. 6-7x that will be 6-7TFLOPS (ish). Consoles will probably be 1.2-2 TFLOPS. 3 years after the new consoles will be released the hardware gap will be similar to, if not more than what it is now, almost 8 years after their release. If it's ~2020 release for the next next consoles then..... Yeah.

Don't get me wrong, I'm looking forward to them releasing but I'm not exactly excited at this moment in time. I want to see hardware specs.

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
I wonder how many "target renders" we'll see this time. Hopefully Sony learned their lesson from those CG movies of Killzone and Motorstorm that they claimed were "in-game footage".

I'm going to play it cautious with consoles this time. I think we're looking at another Dreamcast showing up this generation. The question is who will be producing it -- Nintendo, Sony, or Microsoft? With Apple getting into the market any time, Valve entering soon, and smaller independent projects on the way the console space is going to look pretty crazy. I don't want to buy a platform only to see it lose support a year after purchase. I think that's bound to happen with one or more of them this time.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
I might actually buy both consoles, but the XBOX 720/NEXT/INFINITY, first. I've gotta play me some Halo. I hope it is backward compatible with the previous XBOX (1 and 360) games.

kryptalivian

Honorable
Jan 25, 2013
[citation][nom]JOSHSKORN[/nom]I might actually buy both consoles, but the XBOX 720/NEXT/INFINITY, first. I've gotta play me some Halo. I hope it is backward compatible with the previous XBOX (1 and 360) games.[/citation]

Can't Wait!

Status
Not open for further replies.