[SOLVED] WWE 2k16 Crashing on Windows 10 AMD based system

Nov 15, 2020
I downloaded WWE 2K16 recently. The game was crashing initially and when i saw the reason in Event Viewer, atidxx64.dll was causing the issues. So I followed some help online and reinstalled latest AMDGPU drivers and it started working. I played for a day. And from next day, the game stopped working. Again. The game crashes right after Stone cold splash screen. This time error was something else. Its causing Exception 0xc000005 as per Windows Event Viewer. I reinstalled game like 5 times, changed path of installation everytime just to be sure, disabled Windows firewall but still the issue is not getting fixed.

My Hardware Specs:
Code:
Lenovo IdeaPad S145

AMD Ryzen 5 3500U with Vega 8 GPU

8 GB RAM 2GB Dedicated for Vega 8.

Game worked for a day very fine without any lags...

Event Viewer output:

Code:
Faulting application name: WWE2K16.exe, version: 1.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x56f02ad5
Faulting module name: WWE2K16.exe, version: 1.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x56f02ad5
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000d83b23
Faulting process id: 0x65c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d6bb5faad4080b
Faulting application path: E:\Games\WWE 2K16 PC\WWE2K16.exe
Faulting module path: E:\Games\WWE 2K16 PC\WWE2K16.exe
Report Id: 6b405e2c-b66f-4a64-90f9-267a19874a0c
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Seeing other people's posts on 2K's and Steam's forums, it seems 2K doesnt care. I hope I can get help here.

((Sorry if wrong section.. my first post here..))

Solution
Sorry for late reply again, but this problem is deeper then I originally thought.
Maybe there is a way to disable intro videos in wwe 2k16, and by that way the game loading into the main menu straight away.
But as i type this, i have ofcourse tried to find if its possible, but it seems it is not.
It seems there is a solution for nvidia cards though, which can be found here:

So you might try install drivers that came out around the time the game came out. Other then that for now i have no clue, as youve tried to do almost everything already :(

Still i hope you can do something with the given steam link, but im afraid indeed your last hope is the new windows...

Maramsp

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2016
What i've did is using game-debate's comparison to compare your cpu and gpu to my own (as i could run the game perfectly fine in the past) and the games recommended gpu and cpu.
It seems that both your cpu and gpu are not up to the task of meeting the game's reccomended requirements, and barely the bare minimum requirements.
It might be a thing to run the game's exe as admin, (google how to do it), but keep in mind that your pc is only barely capable of running the game.
Also, the report you've given us, is saying your game's exe is 1.0, whereas a quick google search is saying that there is at least an 1.01 patch for the pc version. So you might wanna consider of getting the latest patch and try again.
But honestly, I think its best to give up with your system, as all of 2k's sports games are quite heavy for pc's, where they don't give the correct system requirements imo.
For example, with my system i should be able to max wwe 2k19 out with at least 60 fps, but i wont hit it always.. So maybe that is saying enough.

Nov 15, 2020
What i've did is using game-debate's comparison to compare your cpu and gpu to my own (as i could run the game perfectly fine in the past) and the games recommended gpu and cpu.
It seems that both your cpu and gpu are not up to the task of meeting the game's reccomended requirements, and barely the bare minimum requirements.
It might be a thing to run the game's exe as admin, (google how to do it), but keep in mind that your pc is only barely capable of running the game.
Also, the report you've given us, is saying your game's exe is 1.0, whereas a quick google search is saying that there is at least an 1.01 patch for the pc version. So you might wanna consider of getting the latest patch and try again.
But honestly, I think its best to give up with your system, as all of 2k's sports games are quite heavy for pc's, where they don't give the correct system requirements imo.
For example, with my system i should be able to max wwe 2k19 out with at least 60 fps, but i wont hit it always.. So maybe that is saying enough.

Thank you for the reply. About the system requirements, as I said, I played it fine for a couple of hours before I switched to my linux (dual booted) to work. After some more hours working, I was free and decided to boot up windows and play again. Since then, Game is not working. When it was working, I could play with over 30 FPS (kinda like 40 at most) (which is fine for a non esports game) . Music, Animations, Effects everything was perfectly fine even on Medium Settings... And, I did install the 1.01 Patch.. idk why in exe they are showing 1.0.. but its 1.01 patch trust me.

I tried Compatibility and running as admin aswell nothing seems to work now. I searched on google about exception 0xc0000005 and it says this is about accessing memory which it does not belong to... which makes me confuse a lot because it used to work fine but not now...

Maramsp

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2016
Thank you for the reply. About the system requirements, as I said, I played it fine for a couple of hours before I switched to my linux (dual booted) to work. After some more hours working, I was free and decided to boot up windows and play again. Since then, Game is not working. When it was working, I could play with over 30 FPS (kinda like 40 at most) (which is fine for a non esports game) . Music, Animations, Effects everything was perfectly fine even on Medium Settings... And, I did install the 1.01 Patch.. idk why in exe they are showing 1.0.. but its 1.01 patch trust me.

I tried Compatibility and running as admin aswell nothing seems to work now. I searched on google about exception 0xc0000005 and it says this is about accessing memory which it does not belong to... which makes me confuse a lot because it used to work fine but not now...

Actually it could be a mem issue.
If you are willing to leave your lappy powered on, overnight when you go to sleep, it might be a safe bet to run a memtest.

Do keep in mind that when you test it to the maximum, which you should for deep analisis, it can take lots of time. Therefor, it might be best to start the test when you go to sleep on a day of which you have to go to work (or have to do something else) the day after.
So then start the mem test, go to sleep, wake up, go to work, and when you get back home, the results should be there.
If all is well there, then at least you can say it is not the memory, but then comes the following..

I have googled meanwhile for the error, and digged into some fora, and tried to reproduce your error. Only having found that i could not reproduce the error, so if its not the memory, i dont have a single clue what it can be.

General tricks you can do, is giving your lappy maximum performance, google how to do that, as im not sure how that works for amd cards.
And also you might look into the virtual memory (again google for this as otherwise this post gets a bit long, although its not that hard to do it) and increase it. But by the way, normally the default setting for virtual memory should be fine.
One other trick I normally do is applying the tdrdelay trick, which can be found here:

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/battlefield_4/comments/1xzzn4/tdrdelay_10_fixed_my_crashes_since_last_patch/

The mentioned topic is for bf4, but it helps for all applications, and make games/software etc, less prone to crashing.

But again, these are general tips.. and although i have the feeling you were just lucky to run the game, i might've found something interesting, although its for 2k15, but it might work for 2k16 as well:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/240460/discussions/0/620712364019838025/?l=polish

It says there at the bottom to do this:

Here is how to fix it. I did this and after struggling with this, it finally works!
  1. Go to c:/windows/system32
  2. find the file XAudio2_7.dll
  3. rename the file to XAudio2_7.bak
problem solved. No more crashing. At least not for me on Win10. Hope this helps.

So, it could, that this might help for you as well :)

Please let me know if it had helped or not :D

Cheers from Mara :D

Nov 15, 2020
Actually it could be a mem issue.
If you are willing to leave your lappy powered on, overnight when you go to sleep, it might be a safe bet to run a memtest.

Do keep in mind that when you test it to the maximum, which you should for deep analisis, it can take lots of time. Therefor, it might be best to start the test when you go to sleep on a day of which you have to go to work (or have to do something else) the day after.
So then start the mem test, go to sleep, wake up, go to work, and when you get back home, the results should be there.
If all is well there, then at least you can say it is not the memory, but then comes the following..

I have googled meanwhile for the error, and digged into some fora, and tried to reproduce your error. Only having found that i could not reproduce the error, so if its not the memory, i dont have a single clue what it can be.

General tricks you can do, is giving your lappy maximum performance, google how to do that, as im not sure how that works for amd cards.
And also you might look into the virtual memory (again google for this as otherwise this post gets a bit long, although its not that hard to do it) and increase it. But by the way, normally the default setting for virtual memory should be fine.
One other trick I normally do is applying the tdrdelay trick, which can be found here:

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/battlefield_4/comments/1xzzn4/tdrdelay_10_fixed_my_crashes_since_last_patch/

The mentioned topic is for bf4, but it helps for all applications, and make games/software etc, less prone to crashing.

But again, these are general tips.. and although i have the feeling you were just lucky to run the game, i might've found something interesting, although its for 2k15, but it might work for 2k16 as well:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/240460/discussions/0/620712364019838025/?l=polish

It says there at the bottom to do this:

Here is how to fix it. I did this and after struggling with this, it finally works!
  1. Go to c:/windows/system32
  2. find the file XAudio2_7.dll
  3. rename the file to XAudio2_7.bak
problem solved. No more crashing. At least not for me on Win10. Hope this helps.

So, it could, that this might help for you as well :)

Please let me know if it had helped or not :D

Cheers from Mara :D
Hey There Thanks for the long research and reply...

I can not do the memtest for now because i have to wake early for college and i have exams coming up.. cant really do hours without my laptop.. on the other hand, the laptop is just one month old so I highly doubt that memory has any fault. I found something exciting aswell, on my one of the older laptops, I used to play older games like UT3 fine.. but since last week, UT3 is not starting on it too. I checked the Event Viewer and it showed the same 0x....5 exception. I used to play that game on it for years but now it doesnt wanna. I think this is some Windows bug or something... My last hope is updating windows to 20h2 version and then see if it fixed these bugs.

I tried your regedit method it didnt worked and I also tried Virtual Mem method that too didnt work. (It was 4GB previously, I added 4 more) . And about XAudio dll file, I think that file is meant for the audio.. not sure that will fix my probelm.

Regards.

Maramsp

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2016
It depends for the xaudio.
I would say try it out, and see if it works. If it does but you have no sound it isnt solvable i think, but then at least we know what the problem is.
But honestly, there are more files related to the audio driver, so its just worth a shot imo to see if it works, and IF it works with sound, then you could let it be as it is, isnt it?
But again, keep me posted :)

Maramsp

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2016
Sorry for late reply again, but this problem is deeper then I originally thought.
Maybe there is a way to disable intro videos in wwe 2k16, and by that way the game loading into the main menu straight away.
But as i type this, i have ofcourse tried to find if its possible, but it seems it is not.
It seems there is a solution for nvidia cards though, which can be found here:

So you might try install drivers that came out around the time the game came out. Other then that for now i have no clue, as youve tried to do almost everything already :(

Still i hope you can do something with the given steam link, but im afraid indeed your last hope is the new windows update.

Anyhow, keep me posted

Solution