X-Fi for Recording Vinyl

scrapser

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2001
I'm intrigued by this capability but wonder if the only format will be MP3. I'd like to be able to transfer some of my album collection to CD's so I can play them in the car or at work. I don't have an MP3 player and the albums I speak of can't be found on CD. Anyone have any information or resources on this?

Thanks

scrapser

the_Prisoner

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2002
Here is a site that shows you how and their are many more.

<A HREF="http://www.br0wn.co.uk/vinyltocd.htm" target="_new"> Recording vinyl</A>

Also try <A HREF="http://download.com" target="_new">http://download.com</A>, they have alot freeware and shareware programs.

the Prisoner

I'm not a number, I'm a free man! :mad:

scrapser

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2001
Thanks for the links. I checked them out and now find myself wondering what makes the Elite Pro so special. All I can think of is that it eliminates the need for using an amplifier. You would still have to clean the recordings, convert them to the format of choice and insert track and album titles. I really hope there's some discussion on this feature so I can learn more before I buy a new X-FI card.

scrapser

emogoch

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2005
The Elite Pro has two main differences over the other editions: 1) It comes with an external set of ports, and 2) It has RAM onboard the card (same with the Fatal1ty). IIRC, the software and available options for it remain the same across all editions. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by eliminating your need for an amplifier, but the Elite Pro will not power an external set of speakers. It's only purpose is to give you additional audio I/O ports.

scrapser

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2001
I'm talking about the feature it has for connecting a turntable to record LP's so they can be burned to CD. The links I checked out from the other post explain how to do this but an amplifier is needed. I'm wondering if the Elite Pro has something in it that makes this unnecessary. If not, it seems to me the RC jacks for a turntable would just be a convenience. I'm hoping to find more details on how this can be used but so far haven't found anything other than the mention of the jacks.

scrapser

the_Prisoner

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2002
You need a phono amp. You can buy or make a phono amp.

I don't think the Eilte Pro has a phono amp.

I used an old HH Scott pre-amp that had a phono input and then just hooked it up to the soundcard.

You can just buy a old, cheap used receiver that has a
phono input and then output to soundcard.

The Prisoner

cookingfrags

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2004
i read somewhere (in the THG review, i think) that the phono input has RIAA EQ as well as phono grounding, so i would think it does at least something to amplify the output.

and according to a few places (again...i think from the THG review), the Elite Pro has better A/D/A converters. how much better or different...i have no idea. i guess you'll just have to assume you'll get at least a little improvement in quality.

the_Prisoner

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2002
It might be able to accept a phono input but I did'nt see it in the specs.
If you have a peice of audio equipment with a phono output, a moot point, meaning you can just use that for your phono amp,
and just input to the soundcard.

Like cookingfrags says this card might be better for converting analouge to digital.

The Prisoner

scrapser

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2001
What makes me question the whole thing is this...why would Creative include connections for a turntable on the Elite Pro if you need to plug it into an amp first? I wish Tom's had reported more on this feature in their review.

scrapser

the_Prisoner

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2002
It has RCA inputs but you need a PHONO AMP.

I listen to vinyl all the time but I need a PHONO AMP
to use a turntable. So you need to have a device with a
PHONO AMP.

If you have an old pre-amp, intergrated amp or receiver, you
can just hook up the turntable to them and then output to the soundcard.

A phono amp is different then a speaker amp. If you want some
get some good advice, go to this site. <A HREF="http://www.diyaudio.com/" target="_new">diyaudio]</A>

The Prisoner