Question Laptop SSD upgrade ?

Jun 14, 2024
i am striving to give my Lenovo ThnkPad X1 Carbon (2nd Gen) laptop a bit more juice.
Currently it only has 4GB RAM so I was gonna add another 8GB stick. Well, that didn't happen.

So now i am thinking of switching out the 128GB M.2 SSD with a 500GB one which is currently being used externally.

Will this achieve my goal?

I primarily work in Photoshop CS5 & dabble around in Audacity - no gaming or video editing.

thank you for your time

i am striving to give my Lenovo ThnkPad X1 Carbon (2nd Gen) laptop a bit more juice.
Currently it only has 4GB RAM so I was gonna add another 8GB stick. Well, that didn't happen.

So now i am thinking of switching out the 128GB M.2 SSD with a 500GB one which is currently being used externally.

I primarily work in Photoshop CS5 & dabble around in Audacity - no gaming or video editing.

thank you for your time
It will give you more disk space as you are most probably pretty thin with it right now. When too full, SSDs tend to slow down a lot. With more space you could set Virtual memory higher and that should help with low RAM to some extent.

thank you for your time
With only 4GB of ram you might want to work on not loading anything that's not needed.

Jun 14, 2024
It will give you more disk space as you are most probably pretty thin with it right now. When too full, SSDs tend to slow down a lot. With more space you could set Virtual memory higher and that should help with low RAM to some extent.
no , space is not the issue , i gots 3 external;s in the mix . the machine is not slow or lagging, but having 8gb or more has it's perks.

there's always the possibility of switching out the soldered 4g memory. i specifically picked this machine up six months back or so, to utilize the docking station i had purchased a few years back to use with my T420.

i was not in the know about the fixed ram stick, why they chose this route is beyond me.

thanks mike

no , space is not the issue , i gots 3 external;s in the mix . the machine is not slow or lagging, but having 8gb or more has it's perks.

there's always the possibility of switching out the soldered 4g memory. i specifically picked this machine up six months back or so, to utilize the docking station i had purchased a few years back to use with my T420.

i was not in the know about the fixed ram stick, why they chose this route is beyond me.

thanks mike
It's cheaper for them and takes less space, makes them thinner and lighter to solder everything to MB. Don't know if it was possible to solder new and larger RAM, BIOS may not support it. Some do have a socket for adding memory in addition to soldered but even then it's pain ind a$$ to find compatible RAM.