X1900XTX died today, question about new card

ATIDan

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2007
Well it looks like my X1900XTX died today. I went home for lunch and fired up my computer. It hadn't even been on for 2 minutes before the display became terribly garbled. My monitor eventually lost it's signal. Restarted, and the computer bluescreened citing an ATI file. Went into safemode and reinstalled Catalyst, which didn't help, although it did allow me to boot to windows normally, the display kept going in and out every couple seconds. The display is even messed up at the BIOS screen, before the ATI software even has a chance to load. I know it's not my monitor or DVI cable, and unfortunately I don't have another PCI-E card I can test.

If I can't get it to work, I'm looking at getting the X1950XTX. This is where my question comes in. The card is on Newegg for $389 which is an awesome deal, but it is sold out. They do have the X1950 crossfire card though for the same price. The specs are identical, so I want to know if I will be losing anything by getting the crossfire edition over the regular card (besides 1 DVI port). Any help would be appreciated.

-D

stemnin

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
I don't think there's any performance difference between the two, but don't quote me on it! Benchies usually show crossfire cards in a crossfire setup..

ATIDan

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2007
Who makes your XTX?
It should still be under warinty.
I would recomend calling the company and seeing what they can do for you before you buy a new one.

Well it <b>WOULD</b> still be under warranty if I hadn't removed the stock heatsink and added Arctic Cooling's fan. I did that about 8 months ago so I know it's entirely unrelated. And I threw out the old heatsink so I can't be sleazy and just slap it back on and try to send it back.

ATIDan

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2007
I don't think there's any performance difference between the two, but don't quote me on it! Benchies usually show crossfire cards in a crossfire setup..

Yeah I couldn't find any difference between the two. TigerDirect has the normal X1950XTX, but they are selling it for about $50 dollars more. It's all rather disheartening considering I just paid $600 for my current card less than a year ago. I haven't been overclocking it, and I hadn't even changed any settings on it for several months. I did update my Catalyst software a couple weeks ago. It just happened so fast though, there was no steady decline. It went from working fine one second to unusable the next.

fatcat

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2005
At this point in time, IMHO, I don't know if I would get this card. It's a very good GPU indeed, no questions about it but with the upcoming crop of DX10 card I would buy a lower version 1950 pro or XT. Unless you're not planning on going DX10 or you got money to burn buying high end DX9 card doesn't make a lot of sens. Anyways, just my 2 cents.

ikaz

Distinguished
The question I have to ask is if your willing to pay $389 for a new card why not just by 8800GTS ? Don't get me wrong I just bought the Ati 1900Xt they had on sale for $200 (with $15 rebate) a few weeks back (hell of a deal btw) but if you spending that kind of cash I would go with the GTS unless you running vista right now.

Il_palazzo

Distinguished
May 26, 2006
You know if you could somehow acquire a stock cooler that is the same as your original x1900xtx cooler by buying say a used card or a new card, you could always just get your old card repaired. And you could sell/return the other one after your card is replaced. :twisted:
(Hey it's just a idea, and yes I'm probably a very bad person for even thinking about it.)

But I would just assume upgrade to a Nvidia 8 series card or just downgrade to a single x1900pro or xt for the next few months, if your going to buy a new card and not get the old one repaired. Remember its getting closer to the release of the ATI DX10 cards and the release of the 8600's.

ATIDan

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2007
The thing is though that I have a crossfire capable board. I got it just in case I wanted to get a 2nd card for crossfire in the future. I think if I bought the 8800 I would feel like a jackass for buying that board when I could've gotten one with a better chipset. Plus I've been ATI for life, although that is subject to change if I can confirm today that my card did bite it.

ATIDan

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2007
A further thought: If I do go with the 8800GTS, am I going to suffer a performance hit running it on a board with an ATI chipset rather than an nVidia chipet?

ATIDan

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2007
Well I just confirmed that it IS a bad video card. Thanks for all your suggestions. I probably will go with the 8800, so I can be DX10 ready. Thanks again.

Mr_Bluntman

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
I probably will go with the 8800, so I can be DX10 ready.

Good choice if you need something now, but just be aware there are far better things just over the way. Also I hope you don't plan on running Vista, since there are no certified DX10 drivers yet.

So you can go SLi you should flog off your crossfire board here in the classified section or if you want a quick sale put it on eBay.