X230 vs T410

Devmalya

Reputable
Mar 31, 2016
Hi, I am planning to buy used Thinkpad T410 or X230 & I got 2 common question about these 2 machines

1) Is it worthy to buy in 2019?

2) can I install a m.2 ssd in the machine?

any opinion will be appreciated, and I am planning to buy for basic use , not for gaming purpose. since I have to move around a lot for my work.

Those are very different systems, one is full size 14.1" other is an ultraportable 12.1 or 12.5" screen.

Don't bother with an M.2, there may be an mSata slot but you can just use a normal SATA SSD in them.

For not gaming or doing a lot of video encoding, either of those is fine to use. Lenovo T and X models are actually some of my favorite laptops of all time, I fix them up for people to use and usually recommend them over new ones for people. Swap in a new SSD, clean Windows setup and any T410,420,430 is just about as fast as any new system for 1/3 the price, and a lot sturdier.

Devmalya

Reputable
Mar 31, 2016
Those are very different systems, one is full size 14.1" other is an ultraportable 12.1 or 12.5" screen.

Don't bother with an M.2, there may be an mSata slot but you can just use a normal SATA SSD in them.

For not gaming or doing a lot of video encoding, either of those is fine to use. Lenovo T and X models are actually some of my favorite laptops of all time, I fix them up for people to use and usually recommend them over new ones for people. Swap in a new SSD, clean Windows setup and any T410,420,430 is just about as fast as any new system for 1/3 the price, and a lot sturdier.
May I ask why You recommend the old thinkpad over new machines? just a curiosity

May I ask why You recommend the old thinkpad over new machines? just a curiosity

Cheaper, better build quality than almost anything new for under $1,000, fast enough for any standard use task. Unless it's for games or a lot of video editing or conversion, a $200 used system is just as good for Facebook and Netflix as a new $500 one.