Question X470 Motherboard with thermaltake 700w +80

Feb 1, 2020
The CPU_PWR2 connection requires an 8-pin plus a 2-pin connector. What’s available from my power supply is 2 6-pins with 2 2-pin grounds attached, and 2 4-pin connectors. The 6-pins are connected in parallel and for in the 8-pin with 4 pins hanging off. Is this okay? And if not, what configuration should I make?

natcha12

Honorable
Sep 1, 2015
It really depends on your CPU and if/how much you plan to overclock. For normal use a 4 pin on midrange CPU is enough. When you get an i7/i9 in there you need 8 minimum possibly without much OC. The 8 pin after a little research appears to be able to give just over 300w, if thats not enough and your PSU doesn't have a second cable for extra CPU power connections, then you'll need to replace the CPU or reel in your overclocking expectations.

If you have a PSU with 2x 8 pin connectors for CPU then yes, having one in fully and another with half the pins overhanging the side of the other connector is fine aslong as you dont have to use force putting the cable in. If there is no room for the 8 pin to overhang, you can probably get an adaptor:
CPU-8-Pin-to-4-4-Pin-ATX-Power-supply-Cable-8Pin-to-8pin-Cable-P8.jpg

Feb 1, 2020
It really depends on your CPU and if/how much you plan to overclock. For normal use a 4 pin on midrange CPU is enough. When you get an i7/i9 in there you need 8 minimum possibly without much OC. The 8 pin after a little research appears to be able to give just over 300w, if thats not enough and your PSU doesn't have a second cable for extra CPU power connections, then you'll need to replace the CPU or reel in your overclocking expectations.

If you have a PSU with 2x 8 pin connectors for CPU then yes, having one in fully and another with half the pins overhanging the side of the other connector is fine aslong as you dont have to use force putting the cable in. If there is no room for the 8 pin to overhang, you can probably get an adaptor:
CPU-8-Pin-to-4-4-Pin-ATX-Power-supply-Cable-8Pin-to-8pin-Cable-P8.jpg
Thanks for the reply. For the record, I am using a Ryzen 7.

natcha12

Honorable
Sep 1, 2015
BTW, looked again and different sources say the 8 pin is closer to 250w max... 🤷‍♂️

With the top of the range ryzen for that socket, 3800x/3700x you are looking at bog standard clocks drawing 200-250 at full draw almost-on-fire usage scenarios. So in this case, not putting that extra 4 pin connector in may mean you crash if you do any extreme stress testing, but under normal clock speed use its fine.

Feb 1, 2020
I’m going to try using the 2 6-pins in the 8. 4 of them won’t be plugged in, so I’m hoping it will be fine. Again, these are wired in parallel so I don’t think it’ll burst into flames.
Ill reply again after I test it out.

Feb 1, 2020
Update 2: I’ve plugged the 2 4-pin connectors into the 8-pin receiver and left the 4-pin receiver empty. It boots, but now I don’t know what to do with the empty receiver.